• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

Do you have them in tablets or capsules? I think tablet form is a little better for storage. Doxycycline in tablet form is in the Strategic National Stockpile. The expiration dates on those batches have been extended multiple times. At some point they will just be less effective but so far so good on that.

Toxicity from old tetracycline is still debated. The reports of that were few and from considerable time ago. Modern manufacture of tetracycline is probably just fine. All the same I wouldn't take it as far past the expiration date as I would doxycycline (since that's been tested thoroughly).

But the thing that everyone stresses is 100% true: Store medications in a COOL, DRY, DARK place. All three are important. We even keep our extra bottles of vitamins, ibuprofen, etc in the basement in a closed box. I don't think storing in a freezer is better. Have you opened any of the frozen containers? Is there condensation on the inside?
I have meds stored in a vacuum bag, and in a dark cool place. I have to think removing most of the oxygen and moisture will extend the liffe.

Any idea what the shelf life of these meds are?
Jed, they Address that under FAQ on the website.
They will retain up to or over 90% effective after 20 years. The Altons and others have been saying this for years, meds in pill or caplet will last for decades stored properly. Government studies have shown this.
liquids can be another matter with a lot of people saying 1 year after the exp date but I will tell you I took Dayquill that exp 2018 this winter and it worked great.
When there was a shortage of EPI pens they allowed us to carry expired on the ambulances. If the liquid is not cloudy or discolored it’s probably OK.

I have meds stored in a vacuum bag, and in a dark cool place. I have to think removing most of the oxygen and moisture will extend the liffe.
I didn’t see your reply till after I wrote mine below. 👍🏻
evidently freezing meds is a no no. It can change the molecular composition.
cool dry dark is the way to go.

Hummm… vacuum sealing each pill bottle individually? Or the whole stash at once? I’m intrigued…

It would be a bit of a PITA, but also a good rainy day activitity…

As a note, baking soda is a good multipurpose item to store. Super cheap. Can be used for cleaning and cooking

+1 this. I also store white vinegar for the same purpose… and having both, I can make SHTF science fair volcanoes during the zombie apocalypse 🌋

Hummm… vacuum sealing each pill bottle individually? Or the whole stash at once? I’m intrigued…

It would be a bit of a PITA, but also a good rainy day activitity…
I just left them in the pill bottle so they don't get crushed. I did the same with lager bottles of OTC meds, some of those containers, like ibuprofin, collapsed a little but no problem with the meds.

I currently store my extra meds in a clean/new ammo can, however when I get the Jase med pack, I plan to put all my meds in a pelican case for storage with a desiccant pack.

I also just ordered a copy of this book based on our discussion. If anyone has India-import meds or meds for their pets, I want to be sure I know what I’m using if someone hands me a bottle.

The Pill Book (15th Edition): New and Revised 15th Edition (Pill Book (Mass Market Paper)) Amazon product ASIN 0553593560View: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/0553593560/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_232F8YE0N3RES09THACV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I had a decent tax return this year and pulled the plug on this. I hope it is worth it. Hopefully SHTF happens after it comes in in May. I have been stacking my freezer in anticipation
I have been wanting to get a freeze dryer for a few years. I would really need to work it hard to make it pay for itself. If you don't mind, once you get comfortable with it, let us know how you like it, what things you have tried, etc.

I have heard that nearly all PPE stocks related to nuclear response has been bought up by government agencies, including stocks of things like MRE's, hazmat suits, etc. They may not be able to get components to make more, but the only to government sales thing is a bit odd. If you get an answer please post.
Phil from NukAlert responded to my email. He said there wasn't enough demand for the NukAlert-er, so they stopped making them. He said that they will still support all of the ones that they have sold. He also said that as long as it will read back ground radiation, then I can be assured that it is working.

That is somewhat reassuring, but I kind of feel like I did back in the 80's when I bought a beta instead of a vhs video recorder.

Phil from NukAlert responded to my email. He said there wasn't enough demand for the NukAlert-er, so they stopped making them. He said that they will still support all of the ones that they have sold. He also said that as long as it will read back ground radiation, then I can be assured that it is working.

That is somewhat reassuring, but I kind of feel like I did back in the 80's when I bought a beta instead of a vhs video recorder.
I think it is one of the only meters designed to read rad counts for non scientists or people without the requisite training on using a Geiger counter. My understanding is that it is really easy to misinterpret your run of the mill geiger counter, so likely a good thing to have if you need it. People who have more expertise may have a better, more informed opinion though about std geiger counters. When i was researching this it seemed like a lot of the cheapo rad counters will only measure background plus elevated and quickly become useless in lets say a fallout situation.

Ordered 3 more AR uppers before they regulate those as "firearms".
That's a great idea.
7 years ago I stocked up on lowers in a group buy, and now they are saying that it is the uppers that should be serialized.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get them, and what did they cost?

That's a great idea.
7 years ago I stocked up on lowers in a group buy, and now they are saying that it is the uppers that should be serialized.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get them, and what did they cost?
PM inbound.

Palmetto has a big list of built uppers (no bcgs) for $199. Why buy a stripped upper when you can buy a built one so cheap?

Because you can use components that aren’t hot trash?

I agree with you to a point. I have a garbage gun for my truck that I literally don’t care it I forget somewhere or if someone steals it and murders a gay baby seal, but there are definitely some firearms that deserve nicer components.

Because you can use components that aren’t hot trash?

I agree with you to a point. I have a garbage gun for my truck that I literally don’t care it I forget somewhere or if someone steals it and murders a gay baby seal, but there are definitely some firearms that deserve nicer components.

I know a number of folks that have purchased PSA uppers and put several thousand rounds through them so far without a hiccup....and they shoot well out to distance.....

I know a number of folks that have purchased PSA uppers and put several thousand rounds through them so far without a hiccup....and they shoot well out to distance.....

I do as well. Same with bear creek. I have no problem with either of them. AR’s are a pretty generic platform in general…that’s the appeal.

I thought I made it clear in my posts that some rifles deserve better quality parts. I wouldn’t put a ‘poverty pony’ barrel in my Noveske N4. That rifle is deserving of quality like the other components. I don’t care how it would compare to a PSA. I wanted a top tier rifle, so I built it.

I had a decent tax return this year and pulled the plug on this. I hope it is worth it. Hopefully SHTF happens after it comes in in May. I have been stacking my freezer in anticipation

I had no idea you could buy those through home depot, I just assumed everyone went through the manufacturer. I've been wanting one for years but never pulled the trigger on it. Might consider it in a month or so when after we sell a house, hopefully they'll drop a sale.

Did you get the regular pump or the upgraded pump?

There's a FB page for people that have them, lotta people complain about the pumps.

I've been looking at canned meats as I'm expecting prices to skyrocket even more. For locally accessible canned chicken I've been buying Walmart's Great Value Premium. My primary criteria is that it ONLY contains meat water and salt. All other brands except organic and Great Value Premium have seasoning, broth and modified food starch.

I finally pulled the trigger on a sampler pack of Yoders meats. These are actually made by Werling and Sons and relabeled. This meat is cooked in the can as you would if you were canning in Jars. There is nothing but the meat and some salt. I've tried the beef chunks and chicken chunks so far and they are very good. The meat falls apart as if it were a pot roast or beef stew. The can also has some broth and fat - remember it was cooked in the can.

I took the beef chunks and made a stew gravy with the broth red wine, sour cream, sweet potatoes, other seasoning and mixed veg. It was very good. the chicken I heated and added jars of Tikki Masala simmer sauce. It was great too and the family was none the wiser.

The best place to buy these are direct from Werling and sons as they have a good price as well as free shipping. Thats a big savings for a 21 pound case of cans. It averages out to $7/lb of just meat.

I've been looking at canned meats as I'm expecting prices to skyrocket even more. For locally accessible canned chicken I've been buying Walmart's Great Value Premium. My primary criteria is that it ONLY contains meat water and salt. All other brands except organic and Great Value Premium have seasoning, broth and modified food starch.

I finally pulled the trigger on a sampler pack of Yoders meats. These are actually made by Werling and Sons and relabeled. This meat is cooked in the can as you would if you were canning in Jars. There is nothing but the meat and some salt. I've tried the beef chunks and chicken chunks so far and they are very good. The meat falls apart as if it were a pot roast or beef stew. The can also has some broth and fat - remember it was cooked in the can.

I took the beef chunks and made a stew gravy with the broth red wine, sour cream, sweet potatoes, other seasoning and mixed veg. It was very good. the chicken I heated and added jars of Tikki Masala simmer sauce. It was great too and the family was none the wiser.

The best place to buy these are direct from Werling and sons as they have a good price as well as free shipping. Thats a big savings for a 21 pound case of cans. It averages out to $7/lb of just meat.

Shit like this is why I love this site. Our hive of collective info and research is unprecedented. You guys are the best.

ETA - I already ordered a sampler 6 pack to try em out. Will likely end up ordering more.

I'm stacking meats like the Clintons stack bodies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom