• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

Dux - thanks for the contact info. I just ordered a case of the chicken to try it. I've read good things about Yoder meat. I have mostly Sam's Club chicken stored, and I don't love it. I had read it was the best locally available so I bought it. Most canned chicken tastes a little tuna-fishy to me. I have a lot of chicken broth to simmer it in to try and improve the flavor.

I had no idea you could buy those through home depot, I just assumed everyone went through the manufacturer. I've been wanting one for years but never pulled the trigger on it. Might consider it in a month or so when after we sell a house, hopefully they'll drop a sale.

Did you get the regular pump or the upgraded pump?

There's a FB page for people that have them, lotta people complain about the pumps.
I do believe it is the standard pump. I have been checking those out and eagerly waiting for it to arrive

I bought a solid medical kit from MyMedic for the house and the car - figure where I am now I don’t want a family member waiting for an ambulance with a trauma wound.

Now trying to work out a solar off-grid setup for the well pump. Tricky to find an inverter/“solar generator” that’s puts out 220v.

I bought a solid medical kit from MyMedic for the house and the car - figure where I am now I don’t want a family member waiting for an ambulance with a trauma wound.

Now trying to work out a solar off-grid setup for the well pump. Tricky to find an inverter/“solar generator” that’s puts out 220v.

Skim the youtube channel

This kid knows what he's doing. He covers a ton of portable solar/battery stuff.

Yesterday I took a few hours and set up to package up 80 lbs bulk beans 5 different kinds, 120 lbs rice and 25 lbs sugar into Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers. Sealed with a hair straightener put in food grade buckets with lids for long term storage to add to our other stuff.
Once I get done organizing a place for everything I think I will need, I’ll add the other rice and cans and stuff I have up to this point. Then work on things like yeast , flour, canning etc. in the meantime I have been collecting canned meats like tuna and chicken. I’ll need to get working on a propane supply but at least I have one of those rocket stoves. This prepping is a learning experience, thanks for all the info. There are many websites for info on storage. Gardening is next for me.

I had a decent tax return this year and pulled the plug on this. I hope it is worth it. Hopefully SHTF happens after it comes in in May. I have been stacking my freezer in anticipation

Well, I'm right behind you. Just ordered the medium freeze dryer.

Now to figure out where the hell I'm gonna fit it in my garage.

Skim the youtube channel

This kid knows what he's doing. He covers a ton of portable solar/battery stuff.
Watching him inspired me to build a complete off-grid setup for my house that covers 2/3rds of my power needs. Check out Watts724 for your pump inverter.

They sell Chinese all in one units for a fraction of the top tier solar gear. They are a US distributor based in Utah which is key for support issues. Guys name is Ian Roux. You'll want a low frequency inverter. MPP solar and growatt both make nice 120/240 units for about 1200-1600 bucks.
You can also get your panels and lots of other gear at alt-e which is located in boxboro. You can pick up at the facility to save on shipping
If you want something super simple and portable you could pair a couple of ecoflow deltas and buy some panels...done

Last edited:
I received my Jase Medical emergency medicine — looks very decent and I’m glad I ordered it. The nylon case and booklet are still on back order, but the meds came well packaged in bottles nicer than typical retail pharmacy bottles and the printouts you typical get from the Pharmacy with all of the dosing and pertinent information was included.

I ended up putting each bottle into a small Mylar pouch with desiccant packet and then putting them in a Pelican case to protect from humidity and UV degradation (I realize my storage is overkill for that purpose, but I had an extra Pelican case so I put it to use…)

I’d recommend theses based on my experience to supplement any OTC meds you may already keep on hand.

When my parents built their house, it was totally independent of grid power, and through some follies(shitty contractors), I ended up doing alot of the solar installation. The solution we came up with for the well was a typical jet pump that filled a holding tank (2 IBC totes) in the basement. We could run the well pump during the day, during peak solar production, then the house was supplied via a small 110v, 8 amp pump that drew much less power. In your case, where emergency back up is the plan, something similar may be feasible. Fill holding tanks using grid power, and when the lights go out, you only need 110v to run a pump to feed the house.

I received my Jase Medical emergency medicine — looks very decent and I’m glad I ordered it. The nylon case and booklet are still on back order, but the meds came well packaged in bottles nicer than typical retail pharmacy bottles and the printouts you typical get from the Pharmacy with all of the dosing and pertinent information was included.

I ended up putting each bottle into a small Mylar pouch with desiccant packet and then putting them in a Pelican case to protect from humidity and UV degradation (I realize my storage is overkill for that purpose, but I had an extra Pelican case so I put it to use…)

I’d recommend theses based on my experience to supplement any OTC meds you may already keep on hand.
So these are OTC antibiotics?

Would possibly come in handy as a certified wilderness first responder…but even I wouldn’t be able to ‘prescribe’ anything. One can alway ‘suggest’ that antibiotics might be a good idea to prevent infection in the backcountry though…and maybe leave a bottle within arms reach of the patient while I turn away to grab something.

So these are OTC antibiotics?

These are prescribed by an M.D. and issued in your name, not OTC.

I’m also a WFR and TECC certified (and a Stop the Bleed Instructor). Personally, I would not give my prescription meds to anybody randomly, as that would be in violation of my SOPs. However, I was on a rafting trip through the Grand Canyon years ago and one of the people sustained a deep laceration after a head trauma and the guide (a WFR) did give antibiotic meds, but that was in his protocol through the guide service and was operating under a licensed medical director. (He also provided field sutures, as we were a few days from definitive care). All was documented in the AAR tha I signed as a witness (since I was a client too).

Last edited:
These are prescribed by an M.D. and issued in your name, not OTC.

I’m also a WFR and TECC certified (and a Stop the Bleed Instructor). Personally, I would not give my prescription meds to anybody randomly, as that would be in violation of my SOPs. However, I was on a rafting trip through the Grand Canyon years ago and one of the people sustained a deep laceration after a head trauma and the guide (a WFR) did give antibiotic meds, but that was in his protocol through the guide service and was operating under a licensed medical director. (He also provided field sutures, as we were a few days from definitive care). All was documented in the AAR tha I signed as a witness (since I was a client too).
As stated, I would not ‘give’ them to anyone.

If someone needed them, I wouldn’t hesitate to leave the bottle laying around for them to make their own decision.

Back
Top Bottom