Preparing for Winter

Yeh i live in apartment with no space...

I did grab an electric oil radiator space heater that was free . And i own plenty of wetfire cubes , and some portable army issue stoves , and plenty of blankets. No space to store pretty much anything like a generator or stuff. Land lord doesnt even allow a grill on the small balcony.

What would you all suggest for those in apartments?

Get a propane burner for like clam boils, if you lose power you can boil water to mix with the cold water in the tub to take a comfortable warm bath before bed

Yeh i live in apartment with no space...

I did grab an electric oil radiator space heater that was free . And i own plenty of wetfire cubes , and some portable army issue stoves , and plenty of blankets. No space to store pretty much anything like a generator or stuff. Land lord doesnt even allow a grill on the small balcony.

What would you all suggest for those in apartments?

Probably tents within tents to conserve heat at night wouldn't be a terrible idea for conserving heat.

Small propane heater like a BUddy or a Coleman Cat. Don't take up a lot of space and use 1 lb cylinders. Heat the smallest room only to about 50 or so. Don't leave it on when you are sleeping!!

Realizing all the stuff I need to do:

new boiler
new hot water heater
Looks like I'm into it for about a week of work and $500!!!!!

Wow. Just saw this thread pop back up.

Any time you see a 7 year old thread get resurrected, bet money that Coyote33 has done it. You won't lose.

Small propane heater like a BUddy or a Coleman Cat. Don't take up a lot of space and use 1 lb cylinders. Heat the smallest room only to about 50 or so. Don't leave it on when you are sleeping!!
And don't put it in a tent either, even with the flaps open.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I have my 4.5 tons of wood pellets already. I will still need to decarb the new snow blower, and the old backup snow blower. Neither is running well so this is important. And it's a task I have not tried before so this is going to be interesting. I successfully cleaned a carb for a pressure washer earlier this year, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Hmmmmm just checked typical weather for Dallas area in winter months so I can prepare for it. Let's see..... 1 fleece coat, hat, pair of gloves. All set. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmmm just checked typical weather for Dallas area in winter months so I can prepare for it. Let's see..... 1 fleece coat, hat, pair of gloves. All set. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You laugh now, but just wait until there is a 1/2 inch coating of ice. Everything will shut down for a week because no one will know what to do and will continue trying to drive just like normal.

ordered a new taco circulator pump because you wont find my model at a home depot or lowes. 15 years pushing a lot of head and resistance, i'm surprised it never crapped out.

Also trenching four feet down for a frost proof water faucet next to the chicken coop next week, hoping not to hit a car sized boulder.

Last edited:
ordered a new taco circulator pump because you wont find my model at a home depot or lowes. 15 years pushing a lot of head and resistance, i'm surprised it never crapped out.

Also trenching four feet down for a frost proof water faucet next to the chicken coop next week, hoping not to hit a car sized boulder.

Just for that you know your going to find a small mountain sized Boulder LOL.

I'm still cutting and splitting wood like a madman.
Finally got my tractor wired up and new lights installed.
Have half of my summer yard equipment serviced to be put away.

Next up servicing the outdoor boiler and water test.
Putting up some heated wires to prevent ice dams HOPEFULLY!
Then it's my first year doing leaves without my toe behind Trac Vac. This is going to suck.

Here: Moved wood from split pile to under the deck to dry. Ordered 6 tons of biobricks for the stove. Had chimney cleaned. Replaced slider weatherstrip. Cleaned low gutters, need to clean high ones. Working on pressure washer carb. scheduled replacement of roof damaged by ice dams last year.

There: Brought up 1/2 a ton of bricks. Replaced gaskets on Defiant. Filled oil and propane before driveway is impassable for large trucks.
Topped off fluids on tractor. Topped off tires. Replaced rotted trim at outside of back door. It rotted in <7 years! Got new batteries for game cameras. Still trying toifigure out how to get the apple scab resolved on my trees. Playing with the idea of a cider press.

Picked up a Toro power shovel for the walkway and deck along with some Frost King de-icing cable today, no more of that ice dam shit for me. Ordered a generator last week so all that's really left to do is an oil change on the snowblower, get a snow rake for a roof back up, stock up on some gas and I should be all set.

Picked up a Toro power shovel for the walkway and deck along with some Frost King de-icing cable today, no more of that ice dam shit for me. Ordered a generator last week so all that's really left to do is an oil change on the snowblower, get a snow rake for a roof back up, stock up on some gas and I should be all set.

I strongly recommend the roof razor over a traditional snow rake.
Link below
http://www.minnsnowta.com

I strongly recommend the roof razor over a traditional snow rake.
Link below
http://www.minnsnowta.com
I really should get one of those. The roof clearing is the worst part of every storm for me. It doesn't help any that the snow from the roof has to fall on the decks below, which I then have to clear again... That is no fun either but I did figure out I can drive the snow blower up onto the decks which helps a lot.

Mr. Heater Big Buddy. $150 each. Get a few.

I have 3 and when we lost power for 2 days last winter it saved us from having to go stay with the in-laws as we don't have a fireplace. They have built in 02 sensors and will shut down in hi CO/low 02 situations. They're listed for indoor use...

Obviously with any portable space heater regardless of fuel type, you need to keep shit away from it. I put them in the middle of the floor far away from any blankets or rugs. If we are leaving the room they get shut off and disconnected from the propane cylinder. I can't advocate for these things enough though. Just use your noodle when using them.

Mr. Heater Big Buddy. $150 each. Get a few.

I have 3 and when we lost power for 2 days last winter it saved us from having to go stay with the in-laws as we don't have a fireplace. They have built in 02 sensors and will shut down in hi CO/low 02 situations. They're listed for indoor use...

Obviously with any portable space heater regardless of fuel type, you need to keep shit away from it. I put them in the middle of the floor far away from any blankets or rugs. If we are leaving the room they get shut off and disconnected from the propane cylinder. I can't advocate for these things enough though. Just use your noodle when using them.

I have 2 of these heaters. 3 settings 6k 9k and 18k Btu's. They work awesome with the 20lb adapter hose. I use mine with 100lb'ers. They last about a month on medium.

If you have an insert it works well with power. But when power goes out I open the door and put a screen in front and it works well. Not as good as a stand alone unit but keeps the living room warm. Just load it up. Also try bio brinks instead of cord wood. Have had good luck with them

That thing looks like if it isn't ripping off shingles, it will self-destruct in about 5 minutes. No thanks.
Has anyone tried this? I was wondering how it prevents damaging the shingles.

That thing looks like if it isn't ripping off shingles, it will self-destruct in about 5 minutes. No thanks.

You be dead wrong! It has wheels to lift if just above the shingles I've used mine for 5 years. Only issue I had was bending a pole pipe but then again I had double the length on it so I could reach four/five stories up for the barn roof.
It's well built and works great but if you don't want to believe that have fun with a ladder and shovel

You be dead wrong! It has wheels to lift if just above the shingles I've used mine for 5 years. Only issue I had was bending a pole pipe but then again I had double the length on it so I could reach four/five stories up for the barn roof.
It's well built and works great but if you don't want to believe that have fun with a ladder and shovel
Thanks for the reassurance... I will be buying one. I have some skylights.... Hope it fits between them.

Back
Top Bottom