Preparing for Winter

Thanks for the reassurance... I will be buying one. I have some skylights.... Hope it fits between them.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Agreed measure if possible or take a good guess. They come in different widths as well now (if I'm recalling correctly). The only real gripe I have with using this or anything like this is you will wind up with a face full of snow if your not careful that and by the time I get done with the house and then the barn my arms are TIRED and SORE. I go from the edge of the roof to the very top all around.

I have the opposite problem - I have a metal roof on the house (barn will need to be reroofed soon, though) and the snow just slides right off. However, the idiot who put the roof on forgot to install any snow diverters, so it all comes crashing down on the stoop and deck. :(

I have the opposite problem - I have a metal roof on the house (barn will need to be reroofed soon, though) and the snow just slides right off. However, the idiot who put the roof on forgot to install any snow diverters, so it all comes crashing down on the stoop and deck. :(

The cool thing will be when it freezes and hangs 4 feet off the end of your roof. We call that snowverhang at our NH place...it actually adds shade to the front of the house in the winter

The cool thing will be when it freezes and hangs 4 feet off the end of your roof. We call that snowverhang at our NH place...it actually adds shade to the front of the house in the winter
And it tears out my shingles. Oh, why isn't metal roofing more common in NH like it is in Maine?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

This winter should be a little easier on me this year :)

This will the first year in 10 years that we won't be setting up our 40' x 80' hockey rink in the backyard. My oldest son is off at college and my 17 year old son is busy with work, sports, etc., so it has become too much work doing it mostly by myself with less nights skating over all

Originally when we started putting it up when they were younger, we skated most nights from mid December to early March and was a great way of getting to know what was going on in their lives and spending time bonding.

It was epic - lights, nets, speakers, warming hut and worth the time we put into it. But it did take about 3-4 weekends to setup (over time as water froze) and a couple of weeks to take down.

As much as this was a part of our winter experience for so long, I am really excited to have that time back this winter, AND the first time we get a forecast of 2 feet of snow I can pour a cup of coffee and look out at the back yard without having to spend hours getting the snow off the rink

IMG_3729_zps6lucrozm.jpg

Snow guards for metal roofs

I have the opposite problem - I have a metal roof on the house (barn will need to be reroofed soon, though) and the snow just slides right off. However, the idiot who put the roof on forgot to install any snow diverters, so it all comes crashing down on the stoop and deck.
You can add snow guards/diverters/cutters, just takes more effort to prep the roof.
2vrttna.jpg

For standing seam, there are clamp-on designs, otherwise you can get both smaller ones that attach with adhesive, and bigger models (to hold back the snow until it melts) which require screwing through the roof into structure.

This winter should be a little easier on me this year :)

This will the first year in 10 years that we won't be setting up our 40' x 80' hockey rink in the backyard. My oldest son is off at college and my 17 year old son is busy with work, sports, etc., so it has become too much work doing it mostly by myself with less nights skating over all

Originally when we started putting it up when they were younger, we skated most nights from mid December to early March and was a great way of getting to know what was going on in their lives and spending time bonding.

It was epic - lights, nets, speakers, warming hut and worth the time we put into it. But it did take about 3-4 weekends to setup (over time as water froze) and a couple of weeks to take down.

As much as this was a part of our winter experience for so long, I am really excited to have that time back this winter, AND the first time we get a forecast of 2 feet of snow I can pour a cup of coffee and look out at the back yard without having to spend hours getting the snow off the rink

IMG_3729_zps6lucrozm.jpg

THat is impressive. Makes me feel lazy for telling my kids if they want to skate they need to shovel the pond.

You be dead wrong! It has wheels to lift if just above the shingles I've used mine for 5 years. Only issue I had was bending a pole pipe but then again I had double the length on it so I could reach four/five stories up for the barn roof.
It's well built and works great but if you don't want to believe that have fun with a ladder and shovel

how durable is the plastic tarp part? That's what got me hesitating. The concept seems great.

how durable is the plastic tarp part? That's what got me hesitating. The concept seems great.

Mine is five years old. Only one rip (at the end where rod goes thru) it was my fault my dog was a puppy then and chews the corner and I didn't catch it. But a spot of tape and it's been fine. Also parts are cheap it beats a regular snow brush hands down.

Last year, I bought a pair of surplus arctic mittens from that Army-Navy store in West Boylston. Trigger finger, leather palm, wool liners.

they're legit. My hands have never stayed so warm especially in sub zero weather.

I gotta pick up another pair and delegate the 1st pair for snowblower use only. (I got some grease on the palm and it doesn't really come out of the leather.)

they're sort of like lobster claws with the trigger finger, but I'm in no fashion show. They were like 25ish bucks. Probably can get them cheaper online.

Need a bulk supplier of Calcium Chloride who delivers near MHT

Anybody know of a bulk supplier of Calcium Chloride willing to sell to individuals and deliver in S.NH? I'm willing to take a full pallet (49-56 count #50 bags) if that's what it takes to get them up my driveway before the first ice storm of the season.

Last year New England Office Supply delivered a quarter pallet, but since their merger with W.B.Mason all they seem to have is "EnvironMelt".

Yup no screwing around this year. Over the last few months I got a generator, heat cables, Toro electric snow shovel for the walk and deck, roof razor(which should be here soon), and an extra 5 gallons of gas in the shed with everything topped off. I still have a handful of shear pins left over from last year so I should be pretty good for this season.

I got my lawn cut for the last time just in time. I topped off the mower and weedwacker, cleaned off the underside of the mower deck and sharpened the blade with my new angle grinder (way easier than using a hand file). I ran the generator for a little while and topped that off with the leftover lawnmower high test gas. The rest of the emergency gas has Stabil in it but I should probably cycle that through my vehicle and get new gas; it's probably a year old.

I had good intentions of making a panel to fit in my fireplace when I'm not using it to stop the air from hauling ass up my chimney, but I spent most of today doing homework. Hopefully that doesn't monopolize my entire week and I can get to that before too long.

Oh yeah, and I monkeyed around with my hammock a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom