problems with trespass and hunters again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they tend to park at one or two places on your land, post NO PARKING signs there, and then go have a conversation with a towing company. They'd probably be glad to make a few bucks removing the trespassers, and you wouldn't need to interact with the jerks at all.
It sounds like your land was not posted before you bought it, and many of these guys have gotten used to hunting there. Not right, but it happens.

You're too far away for me, and I'm not in the market for a tree stand, but do you have a GPS? You can make a fun Geocaching game of it.
Example: climbing tree stand at XYZ, trail cam at YYR, and ladder stand at ABC. I'll be hunting this Saturday, and won't be back till Thursday, so you've got Sunday through Wednesday to get it.

Develop the property into section 8 housing.

Proceed to buy a plot of land in a more rural area and enjoy.

How much for a tree stand?? I could use a couple.

I only have 3.6 acres but abutting neighbors don't have any issues (stay in the woods don't shoot towards houses); anyone else wanting to hunt would need to go through someones yard or cross a quarter mile of swamp and briers.

Had four does browsing in the back yard yesterday - looks like it is going to be a lean year for them

i walked up over a knoll on my property one time and was greeted by some clown pointing a 30-30 at me, i freaking lost it. they never came back, but i feel for you man it sucks. if nothing else works, call the DEP and have them busted for trespassing.

I am the only one hunting it, along with a friend that comes out 3 or 4 times during black powder season.

Finding woodland is pretty straightforward, "landlocked" parcels that cannot be built on are often able to be bought inexpensively (more so if it is wet). Check your local property maps and mail the owners offer letters. If you buy a 10 or 20 acre parcel for ~$30K your month payment is only $150 or so.

$150 a month, for a private place to enjoy seems like a great deal. Of course you have to deal with the people that want the same enjoyment, without paying for it.[frown]

when you say it's a landlocked property, then how do you get to it? through a public forest maybe? this always confused me in the listings.

I know this wouldn't fly in Mass, but I grew up in WV, poachers(which these *******s are) were dealt with harshly by the law, that is if they didn't get shot at first by the property owners.

I don't even hunt and even I know you never get in someone else's stand.. DESPICABLE..

I hope I wasn't being a complete douche in NJ then when I used a random tree stand during the land navigation course to see if I could get eyes on one of my points... that and I had never been in a tree stand before. I didn't touch anything or move anything, I just climbed it, looked around, then went right back down again.

Last edited:
first off, call the cops every time u see someone on your land, and keep calling - every time. if u post it, people need to get permission, case closed.

secondly, w only 20 acres, u could search all of it for stands and cameras in an afternoon.

I would confiscate anything I found and if they chained their stands to the tree, I would rip them out w a truck or a come-along.
landowners do NOT put up w this crap around here. I've met a landowner that cut the tree down w a stand locked to it.
I hunt A LOT and landowners take stands ALL THE TIME.

I have been around with you folks before on this. You do not need permission to hunt on private land in MA unless it it posted, or per town by law. MA uses the open field doctrine, yes getting permission is always nice to do, but not mandated by law.

The key here is the property IS posted no hunting. Except when poachers tear down the signs.

first off, call the cops every time u see someone on your land, and keep calling - every time. if u post it, people need to get permission, case closed.

secondly, w only 20 acres, u could search all of it for stands and cameras in an afternoon.

I would confiscate anything I found and if they chained their stands to the tree, I would rip them out w a truck or a come-along.
landowners do NOT put up w this crap around here. I've met a landowner that cut the tree down w a stand locked to it.

+1
My grandfather has collected tons of tree stands over the years, he lives in a town that requires written permission; he marks on a map where he found it then hands it over to the local PD. When the yahoos call the PD because someone stole their stand they say well we recovered a few, can you come identify which one is yours? They pick theirs out the pile and walk away with a small fine.

Just pictured someone with a chainsaw dropping the tree so it fell on the stand and leaving the crushed remains for the trespasser to find later. Made me smile...[laugh]

It is too bad that you have to post the land and that people do not respect your right to do so.
Some people in Attleboro have been lobbying to allow hunting with written landowner permission only. Norfolk got it passed.
http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news...cle_321079e6-1c8f-595f-afd0-9514da97efe2.html
They have been lobbying for a while:
http://attleboro.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/resident-wants-hunting-law-in-attleboro
(Included to explain how the following statement dates from before the Sun Chronicle article.)
Chief issued statement to appease landowners here:
http://attleboro.patch.com/groups/p...t-hunt-on-private-property-without-permission
in which he references:
City of Attleboro Ordinance Chapter 11-Section 14, states 'No person shall discharge any firearm or other explosive in any of the streets, sidewalks or other public place within the City of Attleboro, except in the lawful defense of person, family or property or in the performance of any duty required by law.' So in Attleboro, you can only hunt on private land. (Although Sweeden's Swamp is listed...)
Here is an interesting article on deer management on a small tract of land (20 acres is greater than 6 but the same rules apply. Deer have a large home range...):
http://www.qdma.com/articles/quality-deer-management-on-six-acres
" you need to understand that you will not be able to influence deer health, deer density, adult sex ratio, fawn recruitment, or buck age structure in the local population through the harvest choices you make"

For all other hunters out there, please let people know that getting written permission to hunt on private property should always be done.

I have been around with you folks before on this. You do not need permission to hunt on private land in MA unless it it posted, or per town by law. MA uses the open field doctrine, yes getting permission is always nice to do, but not mandated by law.

Don't take this the wrong way, but requiring all hunters to get landowner permission for all (non-posted) land that they might be on in a day seems like a bad idea that will eventually end all hunting in this state. That is why we have/need the open field doctrine. It is too bad that you can't come to some working agreement with the people who want to hunt your land. Obviously you have the right to post it and report trespassers but if the local PD gets a lot of calls, it might lead to town ordinances that do not allowing hunting by anyone anywhere in town. Perhaps posting Hunting with landowners permission signs would be a better idea. Just don't give anyone permission. [wink]
White Feather

glue broken glass to the back of the sign, then hang out in the local ER and see who comes in w bloody fingers.

Better yet, glue razor blades to the edges. Very hard to see and leave a nasty wound every time. How about a leg hold trap hidden at the base of the tree stand?

That stuff just doesn't fly in Kentucky.

The hunting trespass is looked upon as about the worst violation you could incur and it is dealt with rather harshly by all law enforcement down there. Hunting, fishing, shooting or trapping on the land of another is strictly by permission only, there is no open field doctrine down there.

[FONT=&quot]current law requires that "Persons shall not enter upon the lands of another to shoot, hunt, trap, or fish, or for other wildlife-related recreational purposes, without the oral or written permission of the landowner, tenant, or person who has authority to grant permission." [/FONT]

There is also no right to retrieve dogs, or game on someone elses land without permission. Most amicable neighbors don't mind their neighbors out there for what ever reason and usually they'll share the game.

The "well my brother's cousin's friend's father said we could hunt here" bullshit doesn't fly at all. Permission is from the land owner or his delegate or its not valid...PERIOD.

Did you read what my posting was in reply to? I bet not.

Sure I did. Clearly you weren't clear in whatever you really meant to say.

YOU posted "You do not need permission to hunt on private land in MA unless it it posted".

I pointed out the land was in fact posted for no hunting. Therefore... you know... permission needed...

Bullshit! I was making a comment to what some one else made that was wrong.

Then we're on the same side of the issue. Let me virtually buy you a virtual beer.

beer_2.jpg

I hope I wasn't being a complete douche in NJ then when I used a random tree stand during the land navigation course to see if I could get eyes on one of my points... that and I had never been in a tree stand before. I didn't touch anything or move anything, I just climbed it, looked around, then went right back down again.

i dont think doing something like that is the same.. its hunting in someones stand that took the time to research the game in the area (trail cams), pick his spot, trim branches (more so for bow hunters). Then joe f-nuts comes and hops in his stand like oh what a sweet spot...

There is also no right to retrieve dogs, or game on someone elses land without permission. Most amicable neighbors don't mind their neighbors out there for what ever reason and usually they'll share the game.

This has been an issue with my family's hunting outfit, only one neighbor (Maine) would be an issue.

Shows that you don't know a thing about foot hold traps. That would have to be a very big trap and they are very expensive.

I was going to suggest a land mine but that would have been too messy. As for the trap, just hide it under a big pile of leaves.

That stuff just doesn't fly in Kentucky.

The hunting trespass is looked upon as about the worst violation you could incur and it is dealt with rather harshly by all law enforcement down there. Hunting, fishing, shooting or trapping on the land of another is strictly by permission only, there is no open field doctrine down there.

[FONT="]current law requires that "Persons shall not enter upon the lands of another to shoot, hunt, trap, or fish, or for other wildlife-related recreational purposes, without the oral or written permission of the landowner, tenant, or person who has authority to grant permission." [/FONT]

The "well my brother's cousin's friend's father said we could hunt here" bullshit doesn't fly at all. Permission is from the land owner or his delegate or its not valid...PERIOD.

My Guess is that getting permission in KY is a little bit easier than up here

... Other than physically detaining them and waiting for the police/environmental officer to show up, what can I do?

Engage the offender with a civil discussion, then simply take their picture during the conversation. Then mention your expectation of not finding them there again. It has worked for me.

my buddy and I confronted a trespass deer hunter on his property, and while i may have been less diplomatic, my buddy handled it very well.

very civil conversation but he firmly stated that the Guy was tresspassing and was not allowed back without permission.

I give him credit though, the hunter wasn't such a bad Guy & my buddy actually offered to allow the hunter to return but has to call before coming over and let him know where he's gonna be, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

I was visiting my grandmother a few years ago when some Fudd douchebag shot a deer in her backyard. This dick was less than 200' from her back door and my young cousins (6 years old at the time) were playing in the yard. He came right past the house looking for the deer and acted like I was the shithead for calling the cops on him. When they showed up this idiot had the balls to tell the officers to make it quick because he had a deer to find. While I was telling the cops what happened my uncle went and found the deer and we took it home after the police and the hunter left. The moron couldn't believe the cops wouldn't let him find his deer. All the guy got was a summons for trespassing. I said they should've at least confiscated his shotgun for discharging it within 500' of a house but I guess the cops didn't want to do any extra paperwork.

Got a solution for the atv trails. Get a few scrap 2x4's, drive some long nails in them, lay them across the trails nails up, and camouflage accordingly. Also some thin steel cable going across the trees across the trails would work great. Not your fault if they get hurt and no tresspassing is visibly posted. I can help you out with some homemade explosive trips for the stands. No injury with those except some temporary hearing loss/seeing spots/soiled pants. Haha screw the fudds!

if only it was legal to do this though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom