Proof: Bubba is Heartless, Mosin Nagant 1907 Carbine

Well I hardly dared to leave the house over the past week. And when I did, I kept looking for helicopters or black cars with dark windows... But the seller, MasterCard, the USPS, and my FFL all pulled through today, and in my home is now the celebrated Holy Grail of Mosin Nagants.

1907carbine_014.JPG

Listed on Gunbroker as an M38, it took some mild persuasion to pry it away from another pesky bidder. But it went largely unnoticed for the five day listing, and most likely very quickly dismissed due to its present condition - heartless bubba thought it would be prudent to lop off the fore-end of the stock. :no:

Regardless, this is a prize that no more than a few dozen Mosin Nagant aficionados around the world can claim - the 1907 Carbine. Built exclusively at Izhevsk Arsenal from 1908 through 1914 (some say as late as 1916, but no confirmed specimens have surfaced), it was unlike any other Three Line Rifle before or since. It is the same overall length as the M38 carbine, but incorporates a unique sight system which hinges at the rear of the base. Mine has the second pattern sights which were upgraded to 2,000 arshini, and to accommodate the 1910 Spitzer bullet. The front sight is also different in that it extends to near the end of the barrel, thus eliminating the possibility of bayonet attachment.

1907carbine_006.JPG

1907carbine_007.JPG

1907carbine_013.JPG

The barrel shank is also of a unique shape, as can be seen in the following pic when compared to a 1916 Izhevsk Dragoon. The 1907 shank is noticeably more conical in shape than its counterparts.

1907carbine_023.JPG

1907carbine_005.JPG

This one appears to be the original pairing of barrel and receiver, judging from the alignment mark. But it is a 1913 dated barrel on a 1914 receiver. The inside of the receiver is still in the white, and the shank has the infamous Circle-B mark. No import marks, and the bolt is matching.

1907carbine_003.JPG

1907carbine_002.JPG

1907carbine_008.JPG

1907carbine_016.JPG

1907carbine_017.JPG

1907carbine_018.JPG

The stock is for a 1907 Carbine as the contours fit the unique barrel shank, and may be original to the gun. A cartouche is still somewhat visible on the right buttstock, and the escutcheons look correct. The buttplate is not matching, and has a stamped number (39), and lightly EP'd number (illegible) on the back. The mag plate is interesting- it has a post 1937 prefix number, on a pre-1928 Tula mag housing. I don't think that this suggests a Soviet Refurbishment, but rather an Interarmco attempt to piece together a serviceable sporter for sale to the 1950's or 1960's American consumer - I may be wrong on this.

1907carbine_027.JPG

1907carbine_028.JPG

1907carbine_022.JPG

1907carbine_025.JPG

1907carbine_026.JPG

Overall, I'm satisfied. But I could cut bubbas heart out if he had one... Thanks for looking.

1907carbine_014.JPG

1907carbine_015.JPG

Nice find. The nicest thing I can say for Bubba is that he might have been trying to make a Mosin Nagant Jungle Carbine out of the rifle.

Bubba is a prick, no really........

So what now? how do you go about restoring what has been done?

Nice find btw

My best hope is to find an original stock. I've got a few friends working on leads. Really not holding my breath, though!

And I know that I can make a replica from a 91/30 stock as a last resort. I've done that work before for a Polish 8mm converted Mosin.

Outstanding martin, when the rifles first hit the US market you could buy them for 8 bucks so folks cut them, sanded them , well you know just plain bubba the poor things to death. But the fact the receiver isn't drilled and tapped and the rear sight is in place is a major plus. Another great find. Congratulations!!!!

Back
Top Bottom