Public ranges in MA or NH

Hey guys I've been looking everywhere and haven't had much luck. I've been looking for a public range that allows rifles (I have an sks) and shotguns. I've been driving for almost to a little over an hour each time that I've gone to the range to AFS. Is there a list of public ranges anywhere with a website or something?

Theres a few pay to shoot ranges, but no public ranges, you would have to become a member of a gun club. Its well worth the money over a pay to shoot range such as manchester firing line, original bobs, etc.

Yea that's what I mean by public range. A pay to shoot that's open to the public and this is just for now I plan to join the club in littleton but to join I have to attend a meeting that's held on the second Thursday of every month so about 2 more weeks or so. For now a "public range" will do.

save your gas and money and hold off for the next two weeks then join your local club. AFS has gotten rich of me and my wife's laziness in joining a local club, this summer were determined.

save your gas and money and hold off for the next two weeks then join your local club. AFS has gotten rich of me and my wife's laziness in joining a local club, this summer were determined.

Your lucky your right in N. Attleboro. I like the range there but it needs to update its ventilation system a little I'm always tasting the gunpowder on the drive home lol and its a little dim in there. Just my opinion and I would still go there. Only if it was closer to me

Public range in Newbury or Byfield MA... You need a hunting license and to fill out an application to be able to shoot there. That's all I know. It's on some state land or something.

Edit: pretty sure it doesn't cost anything either.

Rifling:2299400 said:
Hey guys I've been looking everywhere and haven't had much luck. I've been looking for a public range that allows rifles (I have an sks) and shotguns. I've been driving for almost to a little over an hour each time that I've gone to the range to AFS. Is there a list of public ranges anywhere with a website or something?
Have you gone to Manchester firing range? They let u shoot rifles there.

NH requires NO PERMITS to possess/travel with/shoot any guns, period!

NH Permits are only good for CCW or carrying (loaded handguns) in a vehicle. They serve no other purpose.

It's the "Live Free or Die" (a slave in MA) state!

Rifling:2302943 said:
Have you gone to Manchester firing range? They let u shoot rifles there.

No not yet I just remembered the place the other day when my little cousin went there but I'm still unsure of crossing state lines because I only have a MA resident FID.
As long as you keep your firearms locked up and unloaded, also ammo should be in a separate container. Your safe to drive into NH. Like it was said by someone else the CC permit for NH is so you can carry concealed and drive with a concealed weapon.

For NH, firearms do NOT really need to be locked up or even cased!

Ammo is a point of contention with one NH firearms atty saying that guns must be unloaded (no ammo in mags either) while another NH firearms atty says loaded mags not in the gun are OK. I am unaware of any law in NH about having ammo in a different container, so I'll offer no opinion on this.

As long as you keep your firearms locked up and unloaded, also ammo should be in a separate container. Your safe to drive into NH. Like it was said by someone else the CC permit for NH is so you can carry concealed and drive with a concealed weapon.

Either support this statement with a citation to the law, or stop repeating it. I am unaware of any such law in NH.

If you don't know the laws, please don't pontificate about them. Gun laws are hard enough to understand without people repeating incorrect information.

Stop channeling FOPA. FOPA is completely unnecessary, meaningless, and irrelevant when traveling in NH with firearms. Same thing with VT and ME as well. All three states are FAR LESS STRICT than FOPA is.

-Mike

Okay point taken ill have to go check mfl out when I get the chance. Going to look up their range rules soon. And ill travel with mags unloaded and ammo in seperate container just to be on the safe side.

drgrant:2303341 said:

Stop channeling FOPA. FOPA is completely unnecessary, meaningless, and irrelevant when traveling in NH with firearms. Same thing with VT and ME as well. All three states are FAR LESS STRICT than FOPA is.

-Mike
I was told by the permit in licensing unit of new hampshire, any non resident person that does not have a LTC in the state MUST DRIVE WITH A FIREARM LOCKED IN TRUNK UNLOADED, AMMO IN SEPARATE CONTAINER AWAY FROM FIREARM. I just got off the phone with them If you don't believe me call them yourself and ask (603)223-3873. I'm in new hampshire a lot of the time So you bet your ass I know the laws and how to travel with a firearm. Anyways It's common sense When traveling out of your LTC state to lock your firearm in the trunk and the ammo separate. If not you're most likely to get hassled by al LEO if you get stopped and are subjected to a search of your vehicle, and when he/she finds that you didn't store your firearm properly you can get screwed. so before you go post something saying it's unnecessary, meaningless,or irrelevant to do this in new hampshire, do us all a favor and check the law before posting something and making yourself look like a fool. That goes for everyone here! (M1911).. Know your shit before you say something.

Last edited:
I was told by the permit in licensing unit of new hampshire, any non resident person that does not have a LTC in the state MUST DRIVE WITH A FIREARM LOCKED IN TRUNK UNLOADED, AMMO IN SEPARATE CONTAINER AWAY FROM FIREARM. I just got off the phone with them If you don't believe me call them yourself and ask (603)223-3873. I'm in new hampshire a lot of the time So you bet your ass I know the laws and how to travel with a firearm. Anyways It's common sense When traveling out of your LTC state to lock your firearm in the trunk and the ammo separate. If not you're most likely to get hassled by al LEO if you get stopped and are subjected to a search of your vehicle, and when he/she finds that you didn't store your firearm properly you can get screwed. so before you go post something saying it's unnecessary, meaningless,or irrelevant to do this in new hampshire, do us all a favor and check the law before posting something and making yourself look like a fool. That goes for everyone here! (M1911).. Know your shit before you say something.

I am not an expert on NH gun laws, but travel there enough (and have a NH NR permit) so that I try to keep up with the law. I am unaware of any such law similar to what you were told.

I know the following:

- Someone in NH SP Licensing unit "made up" law to refuse MA restricted LTC holders a NH NR license. This happened twice and required "re-education" both times by Pro-Gun NH to correct this problem.
- Police are oftentimes the worst source of legal info, especially wrt gun laws. [In MA you will get wrong info 90% of the time.]
- When someone tells you info like this, I strongly suggest politely request a reference to the RSA applicable to what they are telling you for reference.

Please check RSA 159 yourself, I just re-read it and find nothing like this in this RSA.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/xii/159/159-mrg.htm

Chapter 650-C addresses storage where children can be present. This reads somewhat like what you were told (but really addresses "in the home" storage) which makes me wonder if the person you talked to might have been confused.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/lxii/650-c/650-c-1.htm

In summation, I am not telling you that you are wrong, just that I've never seen reference to anything like this and certainly would like to see a citation to a NH law to back that up. No, I'm not going to bother calling the NH SP Licensing unit to ask them however.

I agree, although I have a NH Non-Res and none of this applies to me if your travelling into a state where you don't have a permit, just follow the FOPA. So what if some states are less strict, telling people to just ignore a law which provides federal protection when followed is just idiocy. The problem is more people here get off of playing forum tough ass than just helping people which last time I check was the reason for this place. It doesn't matter whether it's a newb asking a question that may seem stupid to somebody that's been around, or correcting someone with bad info. It's like there's an internal contest here to see who can be the bigger douchebag. Sad.

And what you got told is complete crap. As is often the case, asking a police officer or state official about gun laws gets you a BS answer. There is no law in NH that requires you to drive with your gun locked in the trunk. Nor is there a requirement for the ammunition to be a container separate from the firearm. While that is reasonable advice, it isn't the law, even though the licensing unit told you that.

Call them back and ask them for a specific citation to NH law. They won't be able to provide you one.

That goes for everyone here! (M1911).. Know your shit before you say something.

That is good advice. You should take it.

I am not an expert on NH gun laws, but travel there enough (and have a NH NR permit) so that I try to keep up with the law. I am unaware of any such law similar to what you were told.

I know the following:

- Someone in NH SP Licensing unit "made up" law to refuse MA restricted LTC holders a NH NR license. This happened twice and required "re-education" both times by Pro-Gun NH to correct this problem.

Don't forget in MOST states, there's no such thing as a permit that DOESN'T allow you to carry concealed, that's called your RIGHT! Since most states require that you have a home state permit to apply for a Non-Res, why would they give a permit to somebody that can't carry concealed in there own state? It may suck for the people it effects but can you deny the logic?

I agree, although I have a NH Non-Res and none of this applies to me if your travelling into a state where you don't have a permit, just follow the FOPA. So what if some states are less strict, telling people to just ignore a law which provides federal protection when followed is just idiocy. The problem is more people here get off of playing forum tough ass than just helping people which last time I check was the reason for this place. It doesn't matter whether it's a newb asking a question that may seem stupid to somebody that's been around, or correcting someone with bad info. It's like there's an internal contest here to see who can be the bigger douchebag. Sad.

There is a big difference between telling someone what you recommend (and why), versus telling them what the law is. Following FOPA in NH is reasonable advice, but it isn't required by NH law, and telling people it is the law is simply wrong.

Gun laws are hard enough to understand without people making crap up.

So if you don't know the law, then don't start pontificating about it. When people start saying "my instructor told me that ..." or "the guy at the gun shop told me that ..." or "my police officer buddy told me that ..." or "I called the firearms licensing unit and they told me that ..." 9 times out of 10 what comes next is made up BS. Either they made it up or the person who told them made it up.

Len has already posted a link to NH gun laws. If you (or anyone else) can point to a NH statute that requires a gun to be locked up and ammunition separate while traveling in NH, then I will eat crow. If you can't, then stop claiming it is the law.

Don't forget in MOST states, there's no such thing as a permit that DOESN'T allow you to carry concealed, that's called your RIGHT! Since most states require that you have a home state permit to apply for a Non-Res, why would they give a permit to somebody that can't carry concealed in there own state? It may suck for the people it effects but can you deny the logic?

Maybe because NH RSA's don't give NH SP Licensing Unit that flexibility to deny?

NH only requires that you have a "permit" in order to get a NH NR permit, the RSAs don't support "restrictions = not eligible".

Transporting in Motor Vehicle: It is illegal, under New Hampshire law, to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle without a license . . . (N.H. R.S.A. 159:4) 159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction. There you go! Happy now?
The federal Gun Owners' Protection Act of 1986 — 18USC926A — says that if you may "lawfully possess and carry" a gun at both the beginning and end of an interstate trip, you may legally transport it interstate if it is unloaded and in a locked container inaccessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle; ditto for any ammunition. If the car doesn't have a lockable trunk, then the unloaded gun, and the ammunition, must be in a locked container (like an attache case), but specifically not "the glove compartment or console." Note that courts have held that to be protected by this law, the trip must be reasonably direct; that is, you may stop for meals, gas, or even to sleep overnight, but if you were to stop to see a movie, for example, in a state where your possession of the gun would be illegal, you would lose the protection of the federal law. (So don't play golf in New Jersey on your way to Florida.)

Transporting in Motor Vehicle: It is illegal, under New Hampshire law, to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle without a license . . . (N.H. R.S.A. 159:4) 159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction. There you go! Happy now?

Which does not require that the gun be locked up nor that the ammunition be in a separate container. I'll be happy once you admit that is not required by NH law.

The federal Gun Owners' Protection Act of 1986 — 18USC926A — says that if you may "lawfully possess and carry" a gun at both the beginning and end of an interstate trip, you may legally transport it interstate if it is unloaded and in a locked container inaccessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle; ditto for any ammunition. If the car doesn't have a lockable trunk, then the unloaded gun, and the ammunition, must be in a locked container (like an attache case), but specifically not "the glove compartment or console." Note that courts have held that to be protected by this law, the trip must be reasonably direct; that is, you may stop for meals, gas, or even to sleep overnight, but if you were to stop to see a movie, for example, in a state where your possession of the gun would be illegal, you would lose the protection of the federal law. (So don't play golf in New Jersey on your way to Florida.)

The point of FOPA is to protect you in states you are traveling through. It requires that you are legal in your state of origin and your state of destination, then, if you follow the requirements of FOPA, you are legal in states that you travel through, regardless of state laws to the contrary. In this case, your destination is NH. And since you are legal according to NH state law without following the requirements of FOPA, FOPA is not an issue. There is no federal penalty for not following the FOPA requirements -- you just don't get the FOPA protection from state law.

When traveling in a vehicle NH without a NH Pistol and Revolver permit, your gun must be unloaded. That is the only requirement. You need to admit that you were wrong.

Okay if I'm wrong in your right Then why don't you prove to me where as a non license holder In the state of new hampshire That I can carry a firearm unloaded in a vehicle on my side concealed or openly with magazine for that firearm in my pocket.

Last edited:
The firearm cannot be within arms reach thats all ive found so therefore gun has to be locked in trunk. If you dont have a trunk it has to be locked in case or safe in back seat.

The firearm cannot be within arms reach thats all ive found so therefore gun has to be locked in trunk. If you dont have a trunk it has to be locked in case or safe in back seat.

Is this a law too? Caselaw? NH is not MA.
in NH, if it isn't specifically prohibited, then it is legal. This should apply everywhere, but people in MA are brainwashed to belive the laws are written to allow not to prohibit.

Stop spreading BS.

Do you people read all the post before you put your 2¢ in? This whole discussion is about a transporting a firearm over state lines to NH from MA with only having a MA LTC and nothing for NH. There are laws for transporting firearms over state lines when your not license in the state your traveling to.

Do you people read all the post before you put your 2¢ in? This whole discussion is about a transporting a firearm over state lines to NH from MA with only having a MA LTC and nothing for NH. There are laws for transporting firearms over state lines when your not license in the state your traveling to.

Yes, we generally do. Do you realize that you are arguing with some of the sharpest folks on this forum in LenS, M1911 and drgrant?
You come on here stating definitive fact, because you spoke to someone in NH licensing and then quote RSAs that are not pertinent and do not uphold your argument.
I believe the FOPA argument has been addressed and is NOT APPLICABLE to NH.
Where did you come up with "cannot be within arms reach" equals "locked trunk"?

If you don't believe any of them, feel free to contact a NH Gun Rights Atty.

Okay if I'm wrong in your right Then why don't you prove to me where as a non license holder In the state of new hampshire That I can carry a firearm unloaded in a vehicle on my side concealed or openly with magazine for that firearm in my pocket.

You already posted the NH law:

Transporting in Motor Vehicle: It is illegal, under New Hampshire law, to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle without a license . . . (N.H. R.S.A. 159:4) 159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.

Nothing in that law dictates a location. It just says that if you are carrying a loaded handgun on your person or in a vehicle, then you must have a NH license to carry. It doesn't say anything about where the gun must be if it is unloaded. And since it doesn't say anything about it, then there is no restriction.

Back
Top Bottom