Purchase list for a first time reloader (Purchased)

Let me give you a parallel list:

1) Lee Progressive 1000 press kit in 9mm
-Includes 9mm dies
-Includes Powder Measure
-Includes Case feeder
-Includes Primer feed
-Includes Shellplate

I opted against the Lee.
I did a quick google search for it and one of the first hits I got was a reloader with 25 years experience saying he has used it for years and he never had it working 100% at any one point in time...and that he wished spent the money on a Dillon.

[laugh2][cheers]

Congrats!

Please don't congratulate me. I feel like I should rip my house apart and sell everything I own.
Take a trip to the sperm bank and plead for them to allow smart looking sperm.

I'm going to go prepare a space to do this. Pics to follow.

Andy, do you have an opinion on dies?

All I've even used is the dies that came with my 550. So yes, I do have an opinion, but it's not very valid.

Congrats on taking the plunge.

Be sure to set aside some quiet, undistracted time to get everything set up correctly.

I pulled the trigger and spent a buttload of money tonight (roughly $1500 for 3 calibers):

Anything else?

Congrats Underwhere - Now thats the way to take the plunge! A couple of other useful items for you I don't see on your list

Bullet tray
Strong mount - really depends on the bench but I think it distributes the force of the down and upstroke better
Roller Handle - I don't have one yet but it's on my list

Congrats Underwhere - Now thats the way to take the plunge! A couple of other useful items for you I don't see on your list

Bullet tray
Strong mount - really depends on the bench but I think it distributes the force of the down and upstroke better
Roller Handle - I don't have one yet but it's on my list

I think the 650 comes with a tray. I gotta check on that.

I will wait and see on the mount and roller handle. I don't heave the experience to know whether I'm going to need that or not. Plus I just dropped some serious money. The last thing I want to think about is paying 50 bucks for an aluminum ball.

The future reloading desk. It hasn't be cleaned or touched in years.
t7j31l.jpg

Relocated all of my paint supplies to a makeshift table that I whipped up tonight.
qzqjo7.jpg

Was too eager and realized there is no way I could finish this in just 1.5 hours.

iy0hag.jpg

2 suggestions

1. get a Lee factory drimp die, they don't over crimp and are much easier
to adjust.

2. get the hornady bullet puller dies, so simple, the hammer is too time
consuming. you will need a single stage press to use it. with the hornady
bullet you remove the lead and the powder stays in the shell. with the hammer the lead and power are mixed together, makes a mess.

JimB

No, I did not get the strong mount. I figured I'd rather try and come up with something more sturdy myself than pay $60 for it.

No, I did not get the strong mount. I figured I'd rather try and come up with something more sturdy myself than pay $60 for it.

Well I was just curious.....I could have seen somewhere on the web some DIY instructions for a Strong mount. It might have been on Brian Enos' forum.

I'll post some pictures of my workbench when I get back.

My humble setup - no strong mount used. It has been much improved but I only took pictures the first day it was setup:

P1010004.jpg

P1010002.jpg

just a useful tidbit for anyone who is interested. for media in the tumbler i use iguana litter bought at petco or other pet supply stores...and for polishing the brass i put a few drops of new car pro (a car wax) bought at wally world or other stores. it works fine and i have not had any problems. btw its a bit cheaper this way than buying the media and polish from sporting goods dealers.

Where are folks going for primers and powder, esp. in western MA (if anybody out here knows...)? Anywhere I look online (not even sure if places will ship powder and primers to MA) is out of stock.

Finishedcleaning most of it last night.

I think it should do just fine. I need to clean up some of the stuff underneath to make room for equip.

On the top of the table: 8000 rds of 223 which I need to sell.

11k8hfr.jpg

I would be willing to trade some reloading components or maybe a die or something for some of the .223 .. pm if interested.

8k rnds of .223 and you're rushing to reload! Man I wish I had 8k .223. I'm lucky if I have 800 left.

As for the strongmount, its preference. I have one because I find the empty shell bin and bullet tray increased my rounds per hour output to roughly 500-600rph vs 400-450 when I was reaching further to grab components. Its just more ergonomical for me. Congrats on the purchase!

Awesome De!!! Now that you have all this cool stuff and can shoot more- are you letting your brother use it too? LOL

My press arrived today according to Fedex.

Pics to follow. I don't think I'll be reloading anything for at least a little while. Need to read first, pick up some primers, powder and bullets.

Positioning of your press, relative to your arm movement is important. Whether you sit or stand at your press, you will want to be able to move the press’ handle over its full range of motion without bending your waist/back (much) vertically or horizontally (or so I find). The strong mount and the roller handle may be very useful in this regard.

Lube for you press (any gun oil or motor oil) as well a thin needle type applicator and a small amount of grease will help.

I have the Dillon XL 650 VHS tape, shoot me an address and I will get it out to you!

Respectfully,
jkelly

P.S. You can't talk to Lugnut anymore as he doesn't partake of the Blue Kool-Aid.

Last edited:
P.S. You can't talk to Lugnut anymore as he doesn't partake of the Blue Kool-Aid.

No, but I am not a biased nut job either. [smile] I appreciate a good product regardless of colors.

I like Glocks but have no issues with M&Ps or 1911s. They all have their pros and cons. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom