• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Quabbin fishing trip

Hi All, Fished Quabbin for the first time this year 5/4/08 and caught some nice Lake Trout and a salmon. I caught them trolling metal at 30ft. One was 22" and the other was 24". My friend caught a 23" 4 1/4 Landlock Salmon that same day. It was a another great day on Quabbin. I dont think there are ever bad days out on Quabbin. Some of the fishing pics in the gallery are from last year. Here is a link to some pics of the trip. Enjoy! http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb273/c0m3d1an/

*All fish except my friends Landlock Salmon have been release for the next fisherman to enjoy.

Hi Derek, I dont use downriggers. I use a 9' fishing rod with a large fly reel and leadcore line. You want to use between a 40 to 60 foot leader of fleurocarbon (spelling). I like 6 or 8lb test. I have used downriggers in the past and I think it is too much work. Once I hung up on the bottom and wasnt paying attention and almost lost my whole rig. Downriggers are very effective for catching fish I just prefer leadcore.
With Leadcore line every 30 feet is colored differently and depending on current, wind, and your motor speed with 18lb test leadcore you should get a sink rate of 6 + feet per color. It is very easy.
But the real secrets lie in what colors and size flies and spoons to use...he,he,he [smile]

Going again this Sunday so hopefully I wil have more nice fish to post.

Have a great day.

Thanks for the info. I always fished lakers using down riggers but at our cabin in Minnesota we fished any where from 90 to 120 feet.

At that depth you would need downriggers or use wire or copper line instead of leadcore.
In the summer we usually end up jigging for them because they are so deep.
Did you guys troll shiners or spoons?

Usually spoons. My favorite fishing on that lake was for walleyes using leeches in about 20 feet of water just before sunset they would move in to feed. For about 30 minutes it's basically pull them in as fast as you can.

I'll will join the fishing group right now.
Geeze I havent fished Potapoag in years. We used to get some nice pickeral and bass out of there.
I mainly fish gate 43 on the main body of water.
My rig is a 14' Lund with 9.9 Johnson 4 banger, nothin fancy but it floats.
I will meet you guys anytime to fishing Quabbin.
Realistically I could take two guys and myself, one preferably. I have found that the 14'ers dont like more than 3 people on board.

Put something together if you can.

Sounds good, and you aint kidding about the pickerel.

The best thing about the Q is if we do get a group to go out we can rent boats.

Back
Top Bottom