Question about a post-ban rifle in Mass?

If an individual owns a post-ban rifle (i.e. ar15, ak47) and moves into Massachusetts…are his rifles legal in this state? I know that the high cap mags would not be allowed, but what about the rifle itself? And if legal can they pass to another Mass resident via FTF?

Post-Ban rifles configed with "ban features" are not legal here, under any circumstances.

Post-Ban rifles configed with the typical crippled setups are fine. (eg, no FH, no bayo lug, no folder/collapsible stock, etc).

Any preban rifle is fine. So called "large capacity" magazines are also fine as long as they are of pre-ban origin/manufacture. You
can use these mags freely on any rifle.

Transfers are fine as long as the rifle is legal. FTF vs FFL theres no difference in MA, as far as rifles/shotguns go.

Add: One could also convert an "illegal" post-ban into a "legal" pre ban configuration before importing the rifle, and then
it would be legal, but that's probably more effort than it's worth.

-Mike

Last edited:
Steve,

Legally a person can't even come into MA with a so-called SAW and compete in a match with it if it has post-ban evil features or possess new evil hi-caps for it. And this is strictly when "visiting" for a match.

So no! A post-ban "evil" gun or "evil" new hi-cap mags are NEVER legal in MA under any circumstances unless a LEO and gun/mags are related to LE activities.

Thank you for the replies. I was hoping you folks would surprise me. I feel badly for the poor sap who moves here with his newly purchased SW AR-15 after having dropped about two grand for it.

I feel badly for any poor sap (who is a gun owner) who moves to MA!

The comparison that comes to mind is kind of like moving from West Berlin to East Berlin during the Cold War!

Steve,

Legally a person can't even come into MA with a so-called SAW and compete in a match with it if it has post-ban evil features or possess new evil hi-caps for it. And this is strictly when "visiting" for a match.

So no! A post-ban "evil" gun or "evil" new hi-cap mags are NEVER legal in MA under any circumstances unless a LEO and gun/mags are related to LE activities.

LenS,

Could you clarify? My understanding is that it is ok to do so for a match, but you transport it right out after the match is done.

I just sent an e-mail to GOAL asking the same question. The reason is that none of the bulletins for matches at a club that has lots of out of state competitors says anything about this. Last time I went down there people said it is ok to do so, but you know how that is.

B

Nope it's illegal for the gun (and/or new hi-cap mags) to be in MA at all! ONLY exception for non LE is if you are traveling STRAIGHT THRU under FOPA.

The law in question makes it "illegal to possess", thus it has nothing to do with residency or purchase . . . simply having possession of the gun/mags is a felony.

I realize that most folks aren't going to make an issue of it, but that is the law and I had it verified by EOPS via Chief Ron Glidden.

Well I'm glad you clarified that for me. I’m not quite sure why match directors have not made a huge issue out of it, since keeping people within the rules can keep their out of state friends out of costly legal hassles. Every single match bulletin should plainly state to out of state competitors; that they are in jeopardy if they bring the wrong shooting iron to a match. It should also be on the GOAL website since they are the official NRA state rifle & pistol assoc.[rolleyes]

Yikes!

B

Just a guess, but most people have no clue what the law is and this includes those that run matches as well as LEOs.

Secondly, if all you have is a MA-defined SAW that is banned here, the match directors may not want to scare away business.

Just a guess, but most people have no clue what the law is and this includes those that run matches as well as LEOs.

Fellow NESer Rob Boudrie is one of those who both runs matches in MA and knows the law of evil assault weapons backwards and forwards. He is priceless!

Darius

Fellow NESer Rob Boudrie is one of those who both runs matches in MA and knows the law of evil assault weapons backwards and forwards. He is priceless!

Darius

Agreed, but you know what I mean . . . taken as a group (all those who run matches), there are many who don't know the laws. There will always be a few who actually go the extra mile and educate themselves on the law. Too bad that they are in the minority.

I won’t mention the club, but they have a lot of out of state competitors that come to shoot there. I’m sure if you are in the know, you know which club it is.

Never intended it as a slam against any particular person. Maybe it’s just that I have not kept up on the match bulletins, but I never saw one that let me know of the potential problem with bringing in the wrong kind of rifle with flash hiders or pistol grips. This silliness is starting to get to be a royal PITA. [frown]

B

Back
Top Bottom