Question about handgun storage

Hello all,
I've been reading NES for awhile, but finally just signed up to post.

My question is regarding handgun storage. I know that the law states that firearms must be stored either in a locked container or have a gun lock installed.

I am wondering if there are any definitions of a "locked container". Does this have to be something made of metal like a safe or lock box? The reason I ask is because when I bought my Sig, the case that came with it has two hasps for adding a padlock. What I would like to know is if I put locks on the case, does that satisfy the locked storage requirements.

I appreciate any responses on this.
Thanks very much.

Steve

Yes it will meet the requirements of the law and you won't be charged/cited (or at least convicted) for failing to properly store the gun. But... if something were to happen and the gun were to be stolen or used by someone else the COP might question your suitability based on how the gun was stored. Unfortunately there is nothing cheap that functions as an effective deterrent for both theft and unauthorized use.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I plan on getting a safe sometime in the (hopefully) future to prevent theft. Untill then, I will just have to keep the case in a somewhat secure location.

Steve

Welcome to the forum Steve. As a suggestion, Cabelas has heavy duty metal gun cabinets that are less expensive (and not as heavy so easier to move) than a safe is. They can be bolted in to the wall too. In answer to your first question, a "locked container" is anything that can be locked (i.e. pad lock or cable lock) or has a lock in it. A glass gun case meets that criteria, but it's not a smart idea. [wink] The gun case you got will serve that purpose, however, I'd suggest putting it somewhere where it's not easily grabbed or seen.

MCOPA Counsel on gun storage

Firearm Storage
Guns must “be maintained in locked containers in ways
that will deter all but the most persistent from gaining access”,
according to the Massachusetts Appeals Court in its
October 26th decision. Com. v. Partzick, 64 Mass. App.Ct.
846, 835 N.E.2d 1171 (2005). It is not enough that they are
locked in a room. Parzick locked the guns in his bedroom.
The lock on the door was so flimsy that it could easily be
picked with a bobby pin. The statute requires that firearms
be “secured in a locked container”, or by use of tamper-resistent
mechanical lock, etc. Some chiefs have expressed
concern that a glass front on a gun storage cabinet may not
satisfy the requirements of the law. This was not addressed
but I would not recommend charging a person who kept guns
in a locked cabinet, regardless of the material a manufacturer
places on the front.

from mcopa news january 2006.pdf

http://www.masslaw.com/signup/opinion.cfm?recID=120509

Firearm Storage
Guns must “be maintained in locked containers in ways
that will deter all but the most persistent from gaining access”,
according to the Massachusetts Appeals Court in its
October 26th decision. Com. v. Partzick, 64 Mass. App.Ct.
846, 835 N.E.2d 1171 (2005).

There is a long way between a flimsy door lock and deterring all but the most persistent from gaining access. Is 15min with a crowbar, carbide drill and bolt-cutters a quick theft or a "most persistent" theft?

Back
Top Bottom