Question about moving into MA from NH - couldn't find in stickys

Hi Guys,

I've read through all the sticky's and posts on moving into mass but none have been able to directly help. I was talking to a buddy of mine over the weeend who lived in NH and moved to MA about 6 years ago. He owned handguns in NH and when he moved here, he got a Class A LTC but never registered his handguns (was this necessary?). The question we couldn't answer was whether or not he can now sell them in MA.

Does he have to register them first before he can sell them? Is there a timeframe in which you need to register guns when you move into the state? Would you just use the FA-10 form to register the guns first?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think your friend is fine. AFAIK moving in is one of the few instances where one does not have to file an FA-10. They can be sold FTF and an FA-10 will be required for the transaction. Sales though an FFL are subject to "the list" and also will require an FA-10. Everything though would be subject to the AWB.

Last edited:
There was absolutely no legal requirement for him to register them. I don't have the exact dates in front of me, but I don't believe that 6 years is far enough back that they would be exempt from either the EOPS list or AG regs, so any that don't meet the requirements could only be sold FTF. Any that are on the EOPS list and meet the AG's requirements could either be sold FTF or through a dealer.

Ken

Correction to Ken's post:

- AG Regs ONLY apply if DOB of gun was after 10/21/98. Anything made before that date is "grandfathered" wrt to AG Regs (ONLY). [Only the EOPS List dictates where the gun was located on 10/21/98.]

Back
Top Bottom