• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about selling out of state

I probably should have asked this sooner, but, I sold a rifle on gunbroker to a guy who holds an FFl in CT and he wants to come cash in hand to pick it up. Other than verifying he is an FFl and perhaps filling out a bill of sale for my records do I need to do anything else?

Thanks in advance.

He needs to give you a copy of his FFL, too.

This. I performed a similar sale myself. When I sold my SR9 full size I had an FFL from Maine want to buy it. At first I was skeptical (I was selling it through Uncle henry's I think, and this was during the height of the scare and I had already had people asking me to break federal law on a rifle I had sold) but he mentioned it was kosher and sure enough I found an ATF document (recent too, like February or Jan 2013) stating as such. He provided a copy of the FFL and I entered the number into the ATF's online FFL number look up and saw he was still valid. We then exchanged money and gun and all was good.

After he gives you a copy of his FFL. Punch in the number on this website and see if its valid.

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

After that, G2G. Keep a copy of his FFL and a bill of sale with both party's info, date, signatures, etc. to CYA here in the state. Thanks to our broken registration system, MA will always see that gun as being yours.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom