Question for you scanner guys

Realtor MA

NES Life Member
NES Member
The pro shop and starter at the golf course I belong to uses two way radios during the course of the day. It would be interesting and somewhat helpful if I could listen in from home. I"m wondering how I can figure out what frequency they are on. I've looked at the radios very briefly and there doesn't seem to be any indication of frequency or band.
Anyone have any ideas?

If you can enter the model numbers of the radios to a Google search you may be able to tell what band they are for. The radios are either licensed or not. In order to operate you need to have a license or use one of the low powered radios designed for itinerant use. You can Google search and find the .gov database for license info. If they are itinerant radios the frequencies for each band are available online. http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Common_Itinerant_and_Business Once you know the band you can scan the frequency range and find the desired activity. This is my understanding of the way it works. YMMV

Thanks. I'll try and get the model number. Markings on the readios were virtually non
existent.

They have scanners that will "grab" frequencies in your area that are being used. radio shack sells models that will do this. Your best bet is to go to scanmasters.com. they are local guys that are really cool and will probably already know what freq they are using. They have forums much like this one where everyone builds a common data base to share info. the golf course is probably on the family radio chanels.

K... losing my marbles here.. what's that thing called.. rubber duck antenna, usually covers DC to daylight, and when you hold it close to a strong RF signal it'll tell you what the frequency is..

I'm not old enough for this particular old age problem!! LOL!

-Chris

K... losing my marbles here.. what's that thing called.. rubber duck antenna, usually covers DC to daylight, and when you hold it close to a strong RF signal it'll tell you what the frequency is..

-Chris

A "frequency counter"

This might be a useful reference:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Common_Itinerant_and_Business

If they actually have their own FCC license and dedicated frequency, then the FCC wireless database will have it. Unlikely in the case of a golf course, though.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp

Radio Shack scanners in recent history have something called SignalStalker, and I think Uniden's is called Close Call. They both operate in similar ways and scan a very wide range, stopping on strong clear nearby signals. Useful if you don't know what you're looking for.

Look up the VHF/UHF itinerant frequencies, GMRS, and MURS.... I guarantee you they are probably on one of those 3 ranges. You'll only have to program about 20 channels into your scanner.

Rarely used now, but look for colored dots on the radio. If the radio has like a "green dot" on it, that might be a
clue as to what channel they are on. ( eg, "Green Dot" is 154.600 )

-Mike

Go find a Motorola 2 way radio online manual. It will give you the frequencies there.

No, it won't if the radios are programmable. The good ones all use a range... that said... I bet they're on itinerants/splinters, which should make it easy for them to be found.

-Mike

Look up the VHF/UHF itinerant frequencies, GMRS, and MURS.... I guarantee you they are probably on one of those 3 ranges. You'll only have to program about 20 channels into your scanner.

Rarely used now, but look for colored dots on the radio. If the radio has like a "green dot" on it, that might be a
clue as to what channel they are on. ( eg, "Green Dot" is 154.600 )

-Mike

thanks. I was up there today but i forgot to check the radios.

chris_1001:1996238 said:

-Chris

A "frequency counter"

Thanks.. it was still bugging me that I couldn't remember..

That should help if you have one handy or know someone who has one to let you borrow..

what kind of scanner are you using ??? It might have a close call feature. Most now have service search too that will burn through frequency "banks" at an accelerated rate till it grabs a signal. You might be able to search it that way.

They're using Kenwood Protalk radios. Apparently they are UHF / VHF radios. 2watts. Not sure if they need to be licensed.

Your Scanner might have a feature that you can use to pull the frequency in. Check your owners manual. My bearcats have something called a close call feature.

Back
Top Bottom