Random taper crimp issue

A taper crimp die (which is what you should be using for 10mm) shouldn't be capable of pulling a bullet out of a casing unless you're not resizing the cases to provide proper bullet fit/retention.

If the bullet is just floating in an unsized case that is not good.

A taper crimp die (which is what you should be using for 10mm) shouldn't be capable of pulling a bullet out of a casing unless you're not resizing the cases to provide proper bullet fit/retention.

If the bullet is just floating in an unsized case that is not good.
I think I figured it out. Bad bullets. Some are .3975 not .401. I've never had an issue with Missouri bullets.

Yes. Lee. I've done tens of thousands of nine with Lee and never an issue.

So it's this a common problem?
There's a big difference between the taper crimp and the factory crimp
Taper crimp = good
Factory Crimp = problems

The factory crimp dies with a carbide case sizing ring can (mostly do) swage down cast and plated bullets.

Collet type factory crimp dies from Lee are a great value.

There's a big difference between the taper crimp and the factory crimp
Taper crimp = good
Factory Crimp = problems

The factory crimp dies with a carbide case sizing ring can (mostly do) swage down cast and plated bullets.

Collet type factory crimp dies from Lee are a great value.
I have tried adjusting the taper crimp dies a dozen times. Makes no difference. Every once in a while it just pulls one. It's nuts. No legit reason for it.

Yes. Lee. I've done tens of thousands of nine with Lee and never an issue.

So it's this a common problem?
The Lee Pistol FCD resizes as well as crimps. This is problematic for cast bullets as pastera indicated. I’ve switched to a regular taper crimp die and the lack of resizing is noticeable in the handle

Lee Rifle FCD does not resize the case but they use the same brand name. So, it confused me at first

Ya, I've done it couple times. Just did it again. It's brand new. 200 rounds loaded. Starting to think something faulty with the die.
Did you clean it when you got it?
They are often “coated” in a corrosion inhibitor. This stuff is like glue after it sits for a bit. It collects all the crud.

I'm going to have to chrono it again. I wonder this why my speed and amount of powder were not lining up with what I was seeing online.

Thoughts?
If the number is from a test barrel then length and locked chamber vs semi-auto explain a decent amount of difference

Back
Top Bottom