Range near Charlton, MA

Cluster F

USMC Veteran
NES Member
Hey i am new to the Charlton area and i am looking for a pistol/rifle range to join. i was looking into Hamilton in Sturbridge but they wont let me take a look at the facility before i join so im not to happy about that. Worcester wont let me join till the end of the year. Is there anything else out there worth it?

There's also Singletary in Oxford. I just joined Worcester Pistol and Rifle but you're right, you wouldn't be able to join until at least January if not February due to the requirement to sit through orientation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm surprised about Hamilton Rod & Gun Club. My Dad belongs there and I used to belong there when I lived in the area. We had no problems seeing the location and becoming members. They have a great outdoor 200 yard rifle range and you shoot from indoors to the outdoor target holders on the pistol range. They even have a small wood stove there to keep you warm inside while shooting pistol in the winter. You can also shoot outside the house in the warm weather. The clubhouse is small and they open the bar on the weekends. Pretty active trap and skeet group and a big stocked fishing lake as well.

Even if someone was a PITA to you on a call, I would still consider that place. If I still lived in Sturbridge I'd be a member there.

I had the opposite experience at Hamilton before I joined, John Oakes the club president showed my family around, sorry you had a bad experience.

Yea i asked them if i could have someone show me around the facility before i joined so i could see. I was told they do not schedual stuff like that

Quaboag sportsmans in Warren, pretty bare bones, rifle range (200 yards), pistol range and skeet range. But cheap, 30 ish a year.

Yea i asked them if i could have someone show me around the facility before i joined so i could see. I was told they do not schedual stuff like that
They are not guest friendly. Shooting as a guest one day, I was specifically told that I was not welcome back unless I am a member. I found out later that they have a 2 days as a guest and then don't come back policy with an exemption for out of state family members, but this particular curmudgeon didn't mention it, and since he didn't ask if I was family, I doubt he would have gone along with the clubs own rule for exceptions without grumping about it.

I may join because of the short distance between the range and my house, and because it has one of the longest (and nicest) rifle ranges around, but I can assure you I won't be joining because of the friendly company. [thinking]

Can't speak for Hamilton specifically but most of these places are run by folks who more or less volunteer their time. There's usually not a staff in place to schedule tours. That said, at most you can find a member willing to show you around and take you for a shoot. I'd be happy to take you to Worcester but my schedule is a little nutty and I usually only know I'm heading there 45 minutes before I'm out the door! Let me know if you want me to drop you emails when I plan on going.

Tom

yea they didnt seem to friendly at all haha. it is close though. i just didnt want to join and not like the facility.

Just drive out there on a weekday and take a walk around. Nobody is gonna stop you. If they do tell them you are interested in the club and wanted to see it.

Do you know if auburn takes member mid year? the site has no membership info? What is there for rifle as far as range

Yes, and renewals are in October, so you'd be right on for the membership sequence. Call them and ask about going, or just stop in.

Brookfield Rod & Gun club is near you. They do not have many shooting activities but there is a range to about 100 yds. and they were only $25.00 for the year.
Also as someone said there is Singletary and also 200 sportsmans club but 200 is difficult to get in from what I understand.
I actually am considering Hamilton because they are working on a 600 yd. range from what I've been told.
I belong to Wallum Lake R&G in RI and they have alot of shooting activities there and they would not be that far for you from Charlton depending where you are in Charlton but it still may be further than you want to travel.

I am a member there and have been for 15 years most people are very friendly but everybody is a volunteer so just go down and take a look around and for the 90 dollars to join its a great deal on of the best clubs around. stop down the bar this sunday around 12:30 it will be open for football and you can talk to somebody

Last edited:
singletary in oxford is nice. range is marked every 25 yards & 1st sand bank is @ 125yds and then they have a 2nd backstop @ 265 yards but you cant set up a target between the 125 & 265. there's a a covered, paved shooting area and benches w/ tables at every shooting station. its a nice club & if you show up any nice day i'm sure a member would be willing to show you around & if one of the regulars is there i bet they would let you shoot as their guest.

Back
Top Bottom