Range options local to Stoneham

cobra19962005

NES Member
New guy looking for a "home" range. MRA is 5 minutes from my house and MVGC is probably 15. Are there any good options within 30 or so minutes? Leaning a bit towards MVGC due to the problems at the Loeb range at MRA. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

J

Home range

Reading is an easy ride from you. They have 600 yard rifle range and excellent membership. Very strong youth programs. A little tough to get in , but well worth the time spent. They are a rifle shooters' club. Many highpower matches.

Danvers F&G isn't too far away

I heard the wait to get into reading is like 100 years. People who are not even born yet are on the list

Reading, eh? I play hockey right next door on Monday nights. That would be an ideal home range if it is generally kept in good repair.

OK, who's butt do I have to start smoochin' to chop down that 100 year waitlist to something more reasonable? [bow]

J

People who blatantly throw harvard out to everyone as the range you should join is great and good...harvard is definitely a very nice range. BUT, this guy wants a local range to stoneham. I am a member at Mystic and really like it there. The only downside is that its indoor so pistol only but you know that when you sign up.

People who blatantly throw harvard out to everyone as the range you should join is great and good...harvard is definitely a very nice range. BUT, this guy wants a local range to stoneham. I am a member at Mystic and really like it there. The only downside is that its indoor so pistol only but you know that when you sign up.

i'm only offering a suggestion because the quality of the clubs. I looked at EVERY club in a 30 mile radius of Woburn (i think), and Harvard was the best choice for me.

i posted those links for the OP to decide what he wants and what he's willing to sacrifice (quality vs. proximity).

if you open up the loop to 50 mile radius of Stonham - which is also next door to me, you'll still only have two or three clubs with minimal restrictions, 24hr access and good outdoor ranges.

i was a member of MRA, it's just over 3 miles from me and I let my membership expire. -nuff said on that

i also looked at mystic valley - but it's indoor pistol only.... -the OP didn't specify what type of shooting, so i posted the links as this has already been hashed out.

[grin]

Sounds like I should clarify my position. I currently do not own any firearms. My first purchase will be a pistol and I likely won't get a rifle for quite a few months although I will at some time. I work in Weswood, have two kids, aged 7 and 3 and a wife that works nights and part time on Saturdays. With all of these variables I really am looking for a club within a 15 or 20 minute drive tops so I don't eat up the majority of my limited play time driving.

Give serious thought to MRA. Besides the problems select individuals have with the club, MRA is still one of the best all around clubs in the Boston area. The Loeb range offers 24 hour, 7 days a week access and is only minutes way from you. The membership is growing, over 1700 members to date. Feel free to come down on a Sunday morning or a Wed. night and tour the club.

Last edited:
I sorta feel like a shill for Mass Rifle sometimes, but here's another suggestion to go give them a look. The Loeb range there has had some carriers down lately, but I've never seen so many down I couldn't shoot, and also note that it's one of two 24/7 ranges there, though the other is standard velocity rimfire only. (I'm yet another person who lives just a few minutes from the place; sometimes it feels like all my neighbors must be NES members.)

I'm down on MVGC (if you're only joining one club) only because they don't have an outdoor range, and I think shooting outdoors (when possible) is a lot nicer than indoors. Your preference may vary. (All of the other clubs I mention here have outdoor ranges.)

If you're interested in Reading, I don't think they're actually running much of a waiting list right now.

Woburn Sportsmen's Association isn't too far. Nicer highpower setup than the MRA's (not as nice as Reading), but it sounds like that's not what you're looking for right now. There have been some changes in management at WSA lately and I think it's a friendlier place.

so you guys are suggesting he join a club that has repeated problems with its "main" indoor range.

-but then, it gets better.

ask them when you can shoot ouside........... don't hold your breath. if you do get to shoot outside, they have 1 round and 5 round limits [rolleyes]

i actually don't miss the place AT all. the last few times i went there the place was trashed more than half the time.

then they sent all thier members hate mail with the "new rules" - imposing even more restrictions on the ONLY range some of us could shoot larger than .22 LR (standard velocity)

*ps this is AFTER i offered to help with viewing tapes or making minor repairs....

I appreciate all of the good input. Please keep it coming as long as anyone has something constructive to offer. Basically my list is Reading, Mystic and MRA. I took my safety class at MRA so I'm a little bit familiar with the facility.

J

so you guys are suggesting he join a club that has repeated problems with its "main" indoor range.

-but then, it gets better.

ask them when you can shoot ouside........... don't hold your breath. if you do get to shoot outside, they have 1 round and 5 round limits [rolleyes]

i actually don't miss the place AT all. the last few times i went there the place was trashed more than half the time.

then they sent all thier members hate mail with the "new rules" - imposing even more restrictions on the ONLY range some of us could shoot larger than .22 LR (standard velocity)

*ps this is AFTER i offered to help with viewing tapes or making minor repairs....

.[horse][horse]

MRA is going through some problems with the new target system on the Loeb range, but is still the best club in the area. To appreciate this you must take a tour of the facility; best done on Sunday before noon.

your absolutley right - same old MRA. so why would I suggest this guy join there

MRA is going through some problems with the new target system on the Loeb range, but is still the best club in the area. To appreciate this you must take a tour of the facility; best done on Sunday before noon.

i never got a tour. just the video and 6 shot test.

from what i see now, there two MRA's. the one for the mortals and one good ol boy system MRA.

-for any of you to come on here and lure new members to only turn around and treat them like crap after they join is funny.

[hmmm]

your absolutley right - same old MRA. so why would I suggest this guy join there.
You are entitled to your opinion. Nobody suggested otherwise

i never got a tour. just the video and 6 shot test.
The membership procedure was changed in the last year.

from what i see now, there two MRA's. the one for the mortals and one good ol boy system MRA.
?????????[shocked]

-for any of you to come on here and lure new members to only turn around and treat them like crap after they join is funny.
Funny.....no one here is trying to "lure" anyone. An opinion was asked for, which people gave.
[hmmm]

Last edited:
for any of you to come on here and lure new members to only turn around and treat them like crap after they join is funny.

[hmmm]

I don't know what you are referring to.
I've been a member of MRA since 1998 - the club, it's Directors and members have always treated me with respect.

If someone is treating you like crap then there is probably a good reason.

I don't know what you are referring to.
I've been a member of MRA since 1998 - the club, it's Directors and members have always treated me with respect.

If someone is treating you like crap then there is probably a good reason.

i'm one of those "select" individuals [rolleyes]

funny how every time the issues with MRA come up, it's the same two or three guys defending the place.

nice try -

one of you even tried to re-register on NES with a troll account, if i recall...

nice try though.

OP - my appologies, I am taking this off track because it irks me the same two or three guys defend a club that treats new members like doodoo, unless your not a "select individual" -

It is also funny how when a question comes up about MRA, it is always the same 2 or 3 individuals who complain and whine the most.
For the record, MRA's membership is 1700+ and growing every day. They must be doing something right, huh?[grin]

I agree with the 2 posters referencing a "select" group of individuals the "mortals" and the "good old boys". That "good old boy"network is tough to crack at the MRA... I think I had to actually sit down and introduce myself on a Sunday Am to some of the guys hanging around.[grin]

I can only assume the by "select" folks they are referencing the BOD and folks who seem to be permanent fixtures at the MRA. From my observation they also seem to be the ones doing the bulk of the work and day to day management of the club. There are also provisions to become a member of the BOD. If you do not like the way things are run you can always run for a board position and change them.

The MRA is what it is and your experience will be what you make it. You can come during hrs that the club is not open and members are not hanging around and be left alone. You can come when there are members everywhere and be left alone. You can also engage members and easily make friends.

I have been a member for around 5-7 years now. The first 5 years I came in and did my thing and left. Then I started coming to different events and helping out where I could. Now I know most of the "select" members. On many occasions I have met other members as we have fixed target runners, swept and taken out trash first, instead of shooting, as it needed to be done.

To the OP do not discount the MRA. I believe it is the best club around and it takes me around 30-40 min each way to commute. You can make the experience what you want it to be. Obey the rules (which seem reasonable for the most part given the location) and then make the experience what you want it to be good or bad.

If you want to check it out then there is:
Wed night trap: 5:30-8:30PM
Sun AM Sporting Clays: 9:45AM with 10:00 start-12-1 PM (don't have a shotgun use mine or the club gun)
Sun afternoon : Action Shooting Plate and the occasional savage bowling pin.[wink]
Summer is coming and there will be different rifle matches (some for club members others that are open I believe) Check the MRA web site for more details.

Good luck in your search.

It is also funny how when a question comes up about MRA, it is always the same 2 or 3 individuals who complain and whine the most.
For the record, MRA's membership is 1700+ and growing every day. They must be doing something right, huh?[grin]

yes - you took my money and then categorized me by sending me hate mail and imposing even more restrictions. by the way, i was on fence and proof is on the review of your gun club during the year 2008. your probably the one i traded PM's with and i never got a call. [rolleyes]

I agree with the 2 posters referencing a "select" group of individuals the "mortals" and the "good old boys". That "good old boy"network is tough to crack at the MRA... I think I had to actually sit down and introduce myself on a Sunday Am to some of the guys hanging around.[grin]

I can only assume the by "select" folks they are referencing the BOD and folks who seem to be permanent fixtures at the MRA. From my observation they also seem to be the ones doing the bulk of the work and day to day management of the club. There are also provisions to become a member of the BOD. If you do not like the way things are run you can always run for a board position and change them.

The MRA is what it is and your experience will be what you make it. You can come during hrs that the club is not open and members are not hanging around and be left alone. You can come when there are members everywhere and be left alone. You can also engage members and easily make friends.

I have been a member for around 5-7 years now. The first 5 years I came in and did my thing and left. Then I started coming to different events and helping out where I could. Now I know most of the "select" members. On many occasions I have met other members as we have fixed target runners, swept and taken out trash first, instead of shooting, as it needed to be done.

To the OP do not discount the MRA. I believe it is the best club around and it takes me around 30-40 min each way to commute. You can make the experience what you want it to be. Obey the rules (which seem reasonable for the most part given the location) and then make the experience what you want it to be good or bad.

If you want to check it out then there is:
Wed night trap: 5:30-8:30PM
Sun AM Sporting Clays: 9:45AM with 10:00 start-12-1 PM (don't have a shotgun use mine or the club gun)
Sun afternoon : Action Shooting Plate and the occasional savage bowling pin.[wink]
Summer is coming and there will be different rifle matches (some for club members others that are open I believe) Check the MRA web site for more details.

Good luck in your search.

+1

here's my situation

I paid extra $$$$ to avoid the volunteer duty because:

1. i am a single parent

2. i am an active duty soldier

-my time is limited, even then, i offered some hours to help review tapes or make repairs. NO ONE ever got back to me.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2688

This is why MRA is NOT a good club to me. It's a private club that has a "good ol' boy" network within itself. if you are outside the net, you are a mortal and your hard-earned cash / membership will NOT be honored because you don't show up to meetings and rub elbows with the kings.

-sorry, NOT what i'm looking for. I pitch in where i can, and that costs me MORE money at any club, so to have the same club whining about lack of volunteers is moot, as i "paid" extra to forfeit my volunteer time during initial sign up.

i'm only commentating on this as the OP has a similar sitrep (limited time). -he's a mortal by default and will get screwed, unless he's related to the BOD or shows up to meetings to rub elbows with them.

yes - you took my money and then categorized me by sending me hate mail and imposing even more restrictions. by the way, i was on fence and proof is on the review of your gun club during the year 2008. your probably the one i traded PM's with and i never got a call. [rolleyes]
Hate mail....give me a break. The club was having a problem and sent out a communication to the menbership. The choice of words may not have been the best, but it got the point across. On restriction was put into place to try to curb the damage to a particular range.

+1

here's my situation

I paid extra $$$$ to avoid the volunteer duty because:

1. i am a single parent

2. i am an active duty soldier

-my time is limited, even then, i offered some hours to help review tapes or make repairs. NO ONE ever got back to me

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2688

This is why MRA is NOT a good club to me. It's a private club that has a "good ol' boy" network within itself. if you are outside the net, you are a mortal and your hard-earned cash / membership will NOT be honored because you don't show up to meetings and rub elbows with the kings.
Your membership will not be honored....were you denied entry to the club/a range. I don't think so.

-sorry, NOT what i'm looking for. I pitch in where i can, and that costs me MORE money at any club, so to have the same club whining about lack of volunteers is moot, as i "paid" extra to forfeit my volunteer time during initial sign up.

i'm only commentating on this as the OP has a similar sitrep (limited time). -he's a mortal by default and will get screwed, unless he's related to the BOD or shows up to meetings to rub elbows with them.

Can I call a CEASE FIRE here? From my standpoint I've gotten the input that I need...basically that there are 3 clubs that are within my desired drive radius...Reading, MRA and MVGC. I've toured and had my safety class at MRA and will hopefully be visiting Reading and MVGC sometime in the next week or two. I understand that people are passionate about their respective clubs but please, let's not lead this thread degrade into mud slinging. Can't we all just get along? [smile]

Hate mail....give me a break. The club was having a problem and sent out a communication to the menbership. The choice of words may not have been the best, but it got the point across. On restriction was put into place to try to curb the damage to a particular range.

you punished the majority for the acts of a few.

the clubs letter to me said something to the effect of:

"there is NO reason to shot AK or AR 15 Rifles at less than 75 feet"

Your membership will not be honored....were you denied entry to the club/a range. I don't think so.

my membership was NOT honored because i didn't rub enough elbows with you and the crew; therefore i could NOT shoot anywhere except the Loeb and Gallery (Fazio - .22LR standard vel. only range). not because i didn't want to, because i didn't have time.

suggestions:

1. offer qualifications for the pope and summa (outside) ranges during the sign up process
2. take the help that is offered to you, even if it includes training.
3. cut the bureaucratic red-tape as well. Some of us do NOT have time to show up on whim / don't have fixed schedules
4. CHANGE the motorized target system. it's obviously NOT working.
5. expel members who continuously shoot up the target carrier system after:
a. retraining
b. continuous damage to the equipment so that the rest of the members do NOT have to pay or suffer subsequent restrictions.

- but even when that was suggested, "they" (we) had to come to the next BOD meeting - posted on your clubs review thread.

Can I call a CEASE FIRE here? From my standpoint I've gotten the input that I need...basically that there are 3 clubs that are within my desired drive radius...Reading, MRA and MVGC. I've toured and had my safety class at MRA and will hopefully be visiting Reading and MVGC sometime in the next week or two. I understand that people are passionate about their respective clubs but please, let's not lead this thread degrade into mud slinging. Can't we all just get along? [smile]

I agree....these issues will not be solved behind a keyboard.
Life is to short.
Life is also not worth living without passion.
Enough said.........good night[grin]

Geeez - Talk about thread drift....

For those who want to talk about the "pros" and "cons" of MRA - there's an MRA thread here on NES or you could post at the MRA Forums - or even better write a letter to the Directors - the vast majority of Directors do not frequent these forums and will never know your input.

jmspratt - since you are the OP let's get back to your question.

A lot has to do with what you want to shoot.

I belong to three clubs for different reasons.

MRA - great all around club - 24/7 access indoor 25yd pistol/rifle range, Indoor 50ft rimfire range, 60ft (+/-) outdoor pistol range, 50yd range, 100/200yd range, trap field, archery field.

Reading - 24/7 access indoor pistol range, great outdoor ranges up to 600yards, trap/clay field. If your into rifle shooting it's a great club.

Harvard - 24/7 access indoor (small) pistol range; 50yd, 100yd, 200yd and 300yd ranges; Class III ranges; IPSC/IDPA pits; Cowboy shooting pits; trap/clays range too.

My reasons:
MRA - Indoor 24/7 pistol/rifle range (big + in colder weather) + close to home.
Reading - rifle ranges out to 600yds
Harvard - Ipsc practice

Your other option was MVGG - Good indoor facility, air and target systems work well, if your only into pistol and don't mind shooting indoors it's seems like a good club.

Good luck!
Paul

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom