Range options local to Stoneham

Geeez - Talk about thread drift....

For those who want to talk about the "pros" and "cons" of MRA - there's an MRA thread here on NES or you could post at the MRA Forums - or even better write a letter to the Directors - the vast majority of Directors do not frequent these forums and will never know your input.

jmspratt - since you are the OP let's get back to your question.

A lot has to do with what you want to shoot.

I belong to three clubs for different reasons.

MRA - great all around club - 24/7 access indoor 25yd pistol/rifle range, Indoor 50ft rimfire range, 60ft (+/-) outdoor pistol range, 50yd range, 100/200yd range, trap field, archery field.

Reading - 24/7 access indoor pistol range, great outdoor ranges up to 600yards, trap/clay field. If your into rifle shooting it's a great club.

Harvard - 24/7 access indoor (small) pistol range; 50yd, 100yd, 200yd and 300yd ranges; Class III ranges; IPSC/IDPA pits; Cowboy shooting pits; trap/clays range too.

My reasons:
MRA - Indoor 24/7 pistol/rifle range (big + in colder weather) + close to home.
Reading - rifle ranges out to 600yds
Harvard - Ipsc practice

Your other option was MVGG - Good indoor facility, air and target systems work well, if your only into pistol and don't mind shooting indoors it's seems like a good club.

Good luck!
Paul

[hmmm].

Can I call a CEASE FIRE here? From my standpoint I've gotten the input that I need...basically that there are 3 clubs that are within my desired drive radius...Reading, MRA and MVGC. I've toured and had my safety class at MRA and will hopefully be visiting Reading and MVGC sometime in the next week or two. I understand that people are passionate about their respective clubs but please, let's not lead this thread degrade into mud slinging. Can't we all just get along? [smile]

Check them all out - I did.

When I first joined the MRA (okay, I guess there's more than one or two of us not looking to throw the baby out with the bath water), I volunteered a little because not too long ago people couldn't opt out their first year. After that, I only used the place on "off hours" when work/life/work allowed. I pretty much had the place to myself.

I've been there a while now and generally have found it easy to find someone to help me out whenever I've had an issue. As a result, I've given back and helped out myself. It's like most clubs, a small percentage does most of the work and catches most of the flak for all of the real and perceived wrongs.

The most important thing is that now that you've taken your safety course, gotten your LTC and bought (or about to buy) a gun or two you're actually going to shoot and not just let 'em sit in a closet or safe. Good luck where ever you join.

Without looking to re-ignite any rants, if you want any specific questions answered about the MRA (that haven't already been addressed) feel free to send me a PM. I don't live on the NES but I will get back to you.

BTW: How did ou like the safety course? You don't have to post, you can PM if you think it'll be "controversial" (pro or con!).

The safety course at MRA was good in my opinion. Solid background on safely handling and the function of pistols & revolvers followed by a good amount of practical range time. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in applying for their LTC.

I would go look them over. I joined MRA as it is very close to me and open 24hrs a day. My time is limited and I need to be able to go when I can.
Members I have met have been nice enough for me. Office guys I have met have been the same. Maybe things have changed, I have only been a member for 3 or so months now

Back
Top Bottom