rare and very dangerous gun recovered by police

Ok there we’re gonna need you to come out of the house now, ok?
Oh ya hey, I’m gonna come out. Just don’t shoot there, ok?
Ya, ok. Come on out and we won’t shoot ya. Ok?
Ok, I’m comin out.
Ok then.
Hey Bob, You go in there and have a look around, ok?
Ya, ok.
Oh geez. Hey Earl, you’d better get in here and take a look at this. Oh boy, You’re not gonna believe what we got here.

In 2004 the DHS warned the SS190 armor piercing round could, in fact pierce armor. In 2005, the Brady Campaign found the alert and issued a press release calling the gun a "Cop Killer" and the rep has stuck since:

Then in 2009, Nidal Hasan used one to commit mass murder of unarmed and unarmored military personnel at Fort Hood, so of course many press reports played up the "Cop Killer" weapon aspect. Of such things myths and legends are made.

And I'd still rather have an MP7A1. Damnit.

In 2004 the DHS warned the SS190 armor piercing round could, in fact pierce armor. In 2005, the Brady Campaign found the alert and issued a press release calling the gun a "Cop Killer" and the rep has stuck since:

Then in 2009, Nidal Hasan used one to commit mass murder of unarmed and unarmored military personnel at Fort Hood, so of course many press reports played up the "Cop Killer" weapon aspect. Of such things myths and legends are made.

And I'd still rather have an MP7A1. Damnit.
There is AP ammo but the "LEO Only" provision implemented by the manufacturer is fairly leak-proof as licensed dealers can only arrange drop shipping of that product to PDs and are not allowed to obtain any for inventory.

There is AP ammo but the "LEO Only" provision implemented by the manufacturer is fairly leak-proof as licensed dealers can only arrange drop shipping of that product to PDs and are not allowed to obtain any for inventory.

"Cop Killer" claims by groups like the Brady Campaign have little to do with reality. But to be fair, in 2019 an Ohio Police Detective named Jorge Del Rio was, at least according to prosecutors, killed with 5.7x28mm AP rounds. I can't tell if and how such rounds "leaked," but suffice it to say that it's not unknown for "stuff" to walk out of police departments.

"Cop Killer" claims by groups like the Brady Campaign have little to do with reality. But to be fair, in 2019 an Ohio Police Detective named Jorge Del Rio was, at least according to prosecutors, killed with 5.7x28mm AP rounds. I can't tell if and how such rounds "leaked," but suffice it to say that it's not unknown for "stuff" to walk out of police departments.

It's not like you couldn't make your own AP ammo if you were really determined enough.

Investigators say the gun recovered is an extremely rare and very dangerous weapons because of its power.

lol. Really now? 5.7 has less muzzle energy than 9mm when both are shot out of a pistol (varies by grain). Faster, yes, but less energy. It was designed around AP ammo, and considering the rather low likelihood of having an incident like this with AP ammo, this is actually less lethal than any old 9mm pistol. The only thing I can think of where it might shine over 9mm is that it might shoot flatter at greater distances due to velocity, but is that really a concern?

The 5.7X58 was developed in conjunction with the FN P90 for use as a fully automatic personal defense weapon for behind the line support troops. The light recoiling 5.7X58 round was supposed to make it much easier for minimally trained rearguard personnel to use it in full auto. To make it more effective they also developed a true AP round for it, the SS190, which is classified as an armor-piercing handgun round and is regulated as such by the ATF and as @Rob Boudrie said, is pretty hard to obtain. The FN FiveSeveN was introduced 8 years later to offer a simpler load out for personnel armed with both the P90 (as their in vehicle long gun) and a handgun. With the AP round the 5.7X28, when fired out of the P90, can be effective against level IIIa soft body armor. From the much shorter barreled FiveseveN, even the AP round is much less effective.

Some folks confuse the SS190 AP round with the SS198LF, the “green tip” in a box marked “for military and law enforcement only”. SS198LF uses the same lead free bullet as the SS195LF, but with a slightly higher muzzle velocity (about 100 fps more from the P90). The SS198LF is not regulated by the ATF, since it is not an AP round and the FN “for military and law enforcement only” restriction is largely ignored and the ammo is generally available on the civilian market. The SS198LF is only marginally more effective than the SS195LF when fired from the FiveseveN handgun and only in rare cases have I heard of it actually penetrating body armor. From the longer barreled PS90 the SS198LF does have a decent chance of penetrating IIIa armor, but it is no where near as effective as the SS190 AP.

The 5.7X58 was developed in conjunction with the FN P90 for use as a fully automatic personal defense weapon for behind the line support troops. The light recoiling 5.7X58 round was supposed to make it much easier for minimally trained rearguard personnel to use it in full auto. To make it more effective they also developed a true AP round for it, the SS190, which is classified as an armor-piercing handgun round and is regulated as such by the ATF and as @Rob Boudrie said, is pretty hard to obtain. The FN FiveSeveN was introduced 8 years later to offer a simpler load out for personnel armed with both the P90 (as their in vehicle long gun) and a handgun. With the AP round the 5.7X28, when fired out of the P90, can be effective against level IIIa soft body armor. From the much shorter barreled FiveseveN, even the AP round is much less effective.

Some folks confuse the SS190 AP round with the SS198LF, the “green tip” in a box marked “for military and law enforcement only”. SS198LF uses the same lead free bullet as the SS195LF, but with a slightly higher muzzle velocity (about 100 fps more from the P90). The SS198LF is not regulated by the ATF, since it is not an AP round and the FN “for military and law enforcement only” restriction is largely ignored and the ammo is generally available on the civilian market. The SS198LF is only marginally more effective than the SS195LF when fired from the FiveseveN handgun and only in rare cases have I heard of it actually penetrating body armor. From the longer barreled PS90 the SS198LF does have a decent chance of penetrating IIIa armor, but it is no where near as effective as the SS190 AP.
Thanks. I had questions. You answered them

Can't remember the name but there was a company that made handgun ammo with a bronze bullet coated with Teflon that was declared "cop killer" ammo and IIRC it was available to law enforcement only.

Don’t forget “Winchester Black Talon” and “other Teflon coated rounds”.

And Winchester SXT for those that remember 😉

Can't remember the name but there was a company that made handgun ammo with a bronze bullet coated with Teflon that was declared "cop killer" ammo and IIRC it was available to law enforcement only.
1275912c4f97085e1c70323a68aa741d.jpg

Black talons, they got a bad rep, renamed and are basically still available today. The round itself is nothing special.

Back
Top Bottom