• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommend a good cellular game cam

All the pics you get sent to your phone from cellular cams are going to be compressed. That is just how it is. Too much data to send full resolution photos. With my Tacticams I can request HD versions of any image I want. 5 bucks per 50 HD requests.

Battery life is also another consideration. I initally put my 4 tacticam reveals out in the beginning of August of 2020 using Lithium energizer batteries. They ran for 14 months non stop on those same batteries. Over 2000 images sent on each cam over that time period. Cams are set on a 3 set burst, which only sends the middle photo to your phone. So that means over 6000 pics taken by each camera over 14 months on one set of batteries.

I have the spypoint link I believe is the model. It’s ok I have it in a remote area I hunt that I can’t check. The pictures are not great sure I can tell it’s a buck or bear etc and it is easy to use. If I was using something on my property I would get a better non cellular camera that takes way better pictures.
Once you get the sd card the pics are much better. They shrink them to send over the cell unit

Battery life is also another consideration. I initally put my 4 tacticam reveals out in the beginning of August of 2020 using Lithium energizer batteries. They ran for 14 months non stop on those same batteries. Over 2000 images sent on each cam over that time period. Cams are set on a 3 set burst, which only sends the middle photo to your phone. So that means over 6000 pics taken by each camera over 14 months on one set of batteries.

Are you running the Reveal X or the Reveal XB?

Thanks,

Bob

Looks like a lot of price cuts on trail cams just happened. I'm still a fan of the Spypoint Link Micro. They've been updating the firmware, and battery life has been great with very few false triggers. I picked up a couple more cameras, $100 w/metal case.

Found this when looking to compare mobile plans out there. Not sure how current it is.

Who's got the sales on game cameras ?
I bought a Bushnell Cellucore 20 last year and have had good luck with it. Bought a Tactacam this year and was not impressed. I have since bought three more of the Bushnell's. Midway has had a deal on them for awhile now, 86.99, plus you get a 25 dollar rebate from Bushnell. First 30 days of service on the camera is also free.

Bumping this thread. I need to buy a couple cams finally.

Cellucores are on sale for 69 bucks, and spypoint links are 79 bucks. Cabelas....haven't really looked online yet.

Cellucores are on sale for 69 bucks, and spypoint links are 79 bucks. Cabelas....haven't really looked online yet.

Make sure that you look at the cell plans for these cameras before you buy. You can get into some serious money pretty fast if you do a lot of pictures.

Bob

I bought one of the Cellucore 20s when it first came out. Liked them so much I'm now up to four. All four are the AT&T version. You can generally qualify for the rebate, which is a prepaid Visa card, even when they're on sale.

Make sure that you look at the cell plans for these cameras before you buy. You can get into some serious money pretty fast if you do a lot of pictures.

Bob
I run all my tacticam on the 5 dollar a month 250 pic plan and that is plenty My cams are not on feeders so I am not getting bunches of pictures for hours. Plus if you have multiple cameras it does not matter which cameras take the photos. so I have 9 cams times 250 picks that is 2250 picks a month. if 8 take 10 photos and one takes 2000 I am good. Very flexible plans.

I run all my tacticam on the 5 dollar a month 250 pic plan and that is plenty My cams are not on feeders so I am not getting bunches of pictures for hours. Plus if you have multiple cameras it does not matter which cameras take the photos. so I have 9 cams times 250 picks that is 2250 picks a month. if 8 take 10 photos and one takes 2000 I am good. Very flexible plans.

That’s the piece I was missing. Thank you.

Bob

Another recommendation for Tacticam. I do the $5 plan as well. This time of the year I set the timer so the camera is off during most of the day. Otherwise it would take hundreds of videos of squirrels and turkeys.
The picture and video quality is excellent and battery life is good as well.
I paid right around a hundred bucks at Cabellas.

The tactacam reveal x is very hard to beat for the money
I have one I will be selling in the future. I put it out and wasn't getting many pics in an area I thought should be getting activity. I read on a forum that it only sends the second pic of whatever burst you have it set for. I pulled the SD card and saw what I figured I'd see, quite a bit of deer activity, but I'd prefer to be getting some of that on my phone. Replaced it with my second Cellucore 20 and was getting pics of deer right away.

I have one I will be selling in the future. I put it out and wasn't getting many pics in an area I thought should be getting activity. I read on a forum that it only sends the second pic of whatever burst you have it set for. I pulled the SD card and saw what I figured I'd see, quite a bit of deer activity, but I'd prefer to be getting some of that on my phone. Replaced it with my second Cellucore 20 and was getting pics of deer right away.
All you have to do is set it to single photo. Problem solved

Have you really looked closely at the settings? It’s extremely customizable.

4CD5982B-4C0C-44F3-9408-1522F281BC08.png

They are all garbage.
While I somewhat believe this.

I'm going to probably get the tacticam and give it a try.

Though, i was scouting PA this weekend and all I had to do was drive thru the Delaware gap on 209 and see herds of deer in ever field and say....yeah.......I'm hunting here.

While I somewhat believe this.

I'm going to probably get the tacticam and give it a try.

Though, i was scouting PA this weekend and all I had to do was drive thru the Delaware gap on 209 and see herds of deer in ever field and say....yeah.......I'm hunting here.
I’ve throw out Over $10,000 worth of game cameras at this point. Atleast 6500 of cell game cameras.. It’s a useless camera with a solar panel that you’re installing a tree and get no sun… That becomes infested with ants and bugs… even if your lucky you’ll have shit cell service and they cost a fortune… And every time we have to go fix the situation there either so high up a tree or stolen .. Even though once they’re stolen there worthless.

But hey what do I know

I’ve throw out Over $10,000 worth of game cameras at this point. Atleast 6500 of cell game cameras.. It’s a useless camera with a solar panel that you’re installing a tree and get no sun… That becomes infested with ants and bugs… even if your lucky you’ll have shit cell service and they cost a fortune… And every time we have to go fix the situation there either so high up a tree or stolen .. Even though once they’re stolen there worthless.

But hey what do I know
Ive had cams back to the old film style ones back in the day. While I never spent near that much money. Most of them were crap or died.

Im running Muddy regular cams now and I like them got a 3 pack for like 99 dollars. They work well. For 33 dollars each I don't mind leaving them on the tree.
I don't spend the time with trail cams like I used to scouting anymore. I've shot a bunch of big bucks and I really am just meat hunting now, not targeting antlers which
was much more time consuming.

It would be nice to have a few cellular cams on spots that look good, but I don't know are proven yet. Or a spot you know is good but just dont want to keep disturbing.

The Tactacam XB seems to be the one I will try. They are around 100 bucks. I like the fact that they have GPS, so essentially you know where the cam is.
The regular X does not. Think they had them at WM online....I might even buy the 3 year protection package, for a few bucks more, if it craps out.....I'll get a new one.

Got 2 Tacticam XB's from WM for 100 each.

Set one up and it seems like its doing fine taking pictures of my dog taking a shit in the yard.

Im not too worried about amount of pictures as its in MA and not on food, and there arent a ton of deer in my area. For a test, I may set one of my Muddy cheap ass cams that have
been very good out, aimed at the same area and see if I am getting as many pics as the Tactacam or less.

What do you guys run for sensitivity....mine was preset to 7....seems OK.

So when I set it up it said the plan is for each camera........So for each cam you run its 5 dollars a month? So if your running 10 cams that's 50 a month correct?

What do you guys do when you take them off line for say the winter or something? I'm not going to be running these things year round.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yup. 9 cams at 5 bucks each is 45 bucks for 2250 pics over the entire spread of cams. One cam could take all 2250 and and the rest none and there would be no overage.

You can suspend (temporarily deactivate) and reactivate any cams you want through the app. They will continue to take pics if you leave them on but just won't transmit the cellularly.

As for sensitivity. All my cams are gen 1 cams. So my choices are low, med and high. I run mine on med most of the time. You can play with the setting from your app so experiment to see what works best in the specific spot you set it up on.

Last edited:

But hey what do I know

So much wrong with this post so little time. Sounds like operator error over and over and over and over.

Yup. 9 cams at 5 bucks each is 45 bucks for 2250 pics over the entire spread of cams. One cam could take all 2250 and and the rest none and there would be no overage.

You can suspend (temporarily deactivate) and reactivate any cams you want through the app. They will continue to take pics if you leave them on but just won't transmit the cellularly.

As for sensitivity. All my cams are gen 1 cams. So my choices are low, med and high. I run mine on med most of the time. You can play with the setting from your app so experiment to see what works best in the specific spot you set it up on.
Thanks Rob.

I'll likely pull the cams for the winter anyway and shut them down. I can see me planning on getting a few more......

I have mine set on 7....not super sensitive mid day when its 80, but its still pretty warm out. I notice at about 60 and below it seems fine.

So I had some cameras that when mounted high and pointed down at a spot that the sun hits hard mid day would start firing off and sending pics one after another. Sometimes 100 pics of nothing but sun soaked ground each day.

So from june through mid sept I set the work timer to deactivate the camera from 10 am to 3 pm and that cured that issue.

Back
Top Bottom