• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Recommendations for a hand cannon

I've sworn that if MA passes a 7-round mag limit (or worse), I'm selling my M&P and buying a 4" .500, then making a whole YouTube channel with videos of me putting huge holes in trees/watermellons/engine blocks.

I'd be curious to see how a 500 does against a standard engine block. I don't think one standard round would go through a block (steel or aluminum). I think you could take some chunks off a aluminum one though with the heaver loads. Just my opinion, no facts to back it up.

I'd be curious to see how a 500 does against a standard engine block. I don't think one standard round would go through a block (steel or aluminum). I think you could take some chunks off a aluminum one though with the heaver loads. Just my opinion, no facts to back it up.

Only one way to find out. Got a spare engine block laying around?

Dunno if it's a good test, but I shot an 8 inch oak with mine at 50 feet. The tree never slowed it down....it just kept going into the 50 yd berm with a wack!

Here's Hickcock45's take on the 500. He seems afraid of it.

Don't hide from a 500 behind a block wall!

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, there's just something about the look of S&W revolvers. They just look badass.

I'd do a S&W 500 for sure. I've only shot one with tuned-down loads, but even that was a hand canon.

OP: Lot's of good suggestions. My advice is go bigger than a .357. You'll shoot it and probably like it but my guess is that in a couple range trips you'll wish you went at least .44 magnum. I thought I was going big when I bought a .357 and since it was a steel 6" revolver it ate up the recoil and I immediately thought: "this is easily manageable...I can go bigger." By all means buy a 357 if you don't have one but for a hand cannon go at least .44 magnum.

Irrational you say? why not an Obrez? only few hundred dollars including the tax stamp, cheap ammo, and guaranteed to piss off everyone at the range!

I have a middle of the road load using cast 440 grain bullets and 4227 that's like that. Pretty stout but very manageable. He might have given me the load actually.

OK So just to be clear. You are saying that EddieCoyle gave you his "Nuclear Load".

My question is. Did he at least buy you dinner first? [wink]

OK So just to be clear. You are saying that EddieCoyle gave you his "Nuclear Load".

My question is. Did he at least buy you dinner first? [wink]

He told me how to make my own. He's in high demand for a reason. Everyone likes to shoot a stout load.

First, reading this on my laptop while on the Amtrak with some random dude next to me. (dont ask why the Army still uses trains serious WTF over) Love the random looks when theres a nice MAG picture up.
Second, if its just a fun firearm to trump people at the range then get something exotic. If its practaciality youre looking for then a .44 mag is great. My superblackhawk loaded with deer grenade, 300+gn and +P ammo will make a trigger flincher out of any 'tuff guy". Great accurate revolver. Reliable affordable etc etc. Single shot if thats a draw back. In the end a 357 will shoot through your car door and just about through a Perp if car jacked or into another car to buy you some time. Any over that is just making sure the job is done with less follow up shots.
I would take people up on trying out their's. The gas and ammo $ is priceless if you get something you hate/ cant shoot.
Latly, make sure you can handle it so you dont look like a Tard after your range buddies look like pussies. my $0.02

.500 S&W. It's the ultimate hand cannon. I love shooting mine, especially with people who have never seen the power of it before. It's like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my Howdah pistol. Its a side-by-side 20 gauge pistol. No tax stamps needed because its a black powder gun. Shoots a .610 ball or you can do buckshot, birdshot, etc. Its not practical in any sense but i'd say it qualifies as a hand cannon.

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

My vote is for a .460XVR revolver.

Thats the wife.

While the .500 is nice because, well, its a .500. The .460 is better if you actually intend to shoot it. Shooting a .460 or .500 in any quantity requires reloading. Because you can use .45 cal bullets, which are made by the billions, they are much cheaper than .50 cal bullets. I can load a box of 50 .460s for about $10 per box. These are for full power loads with 40 grains of H110.

Although they can't admittedly touch the monster buffalo bore loads that push a 300 gr bullet to almost 2100 fps.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=125

I'm still waiting to shoot a 200 gr JHP designed for a 45 acp at a milk jug. Can you say violent expansion?

The .460 is better if you actually intend to shoot it. Shooting a .460 or .500 in any quantity requires reloading. Because you can use .45 cal bullets, which are made by the billions, they are much cheaper than .50 cal bullets. I can load a box of 50 .460s for about $10 per box. These are for full power loads with 40 grains of H110.

Just cast them yourself. Cheap.

There is no doubt that the 500 is the king.

But this is classy. It is also unbelievably accurate. And 44 magnum is manageable. 44 special is enjoyable. Sorry for the stock picture.

smithm29-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've always been a .44 mag guy, S&W specifically. The .460 and .500 seem very comparable muzzle energy wise, but I've been more interested in the 460 XVR. I guess I'm a sucker for a flat trajectory. No sense hucking a golfball size of lead when the same results can be had with something smaller and faster. No, there arent 500 and 600 gr bullets for the .460 but why would I want those anyway? End of the day, I would take either but the .460 gets my attention. My pair of 3" 44 mags as well as the 4", scoped 6" and scoped 8 3/8" will have to do for now[smile]

Back
Top Bottom