• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reloading 9x18 Makarov

Is anyone loading for this caliber? I'm thinking about getting a CZ82 but was wondering if it would be worth reloading. Also, does anyone know if its okay to use lead bullets in the CZ 82 with the polygonal barrel?

I'm bumping this 9 year old thread because I bought a Polish P64 in 9x18 and will start to reload for it soon.

Does anybody have experience? Which dies do you recommend? Which mfg of components? (Please don't post vendors though).

Any favorite loads?

I'm bumping this 9 year old thread because I bought a Polish P64 in 9x18 and will start to reload for it soon.

Does anybody have experience? Which dies do you recommend? Which mfg of components? (Please don't post vendors though).

Any favorite loads?

I've reloaded this in the past...years ago. All of the ammo went into a friend's Makarov, but don't ask me what load I used now...
The stubby bullets are not the most user friendly, but I managed with my Lee die set. I don't know if a brand that has an alignment collet would be better, but that's your call.
As for load data, probably straight out of the Hodgdon website.
Someday, when I acquire some brass (and maybe even a pistol), I'll load up all of the remaining bullets I have.
Good luck.

In my early days of casting I was loading with Lee dies and a Lee 365-95-1r mold. Lack of brass and leading issues turned me off for a while.
Bumping this thread has reminded me I need to buy some brass...
I can't remember if I used to titegroup or H38? Might even have tried clays?

Hi EC. I reload 9x18 (and cut-down 9x19 brass) with commercial lead:
.365 Diameter, 93 Grain RN, Brinell 18
No issues in polygonal rifling, surprising accuracy for a little pistol.
Lee dies. 90% sure its Win231 powder.
Will look up the load tonight.

Edit to add: Nope, I'm wrong. I used 3.7gr of AA#2.

*this works for me but check your own books first.

Last edited:
I used lee dies and 231 powder. I forget the charge since it has been a while. Had trouble finding heads but hornaday brass was good. Or just cut bach regular 9mm and be careful belling it

20160415_201146.jpg
I bought these when I picked up my first cz82. I used HP38 powder. I didn't keep any notes on my reloads. They cycled fine as far as I remember. I moved to cast bullets only because I was on a big " everything is going to use cast" mind set .

Plus I stocked up on cheap factory ammo to boot.
I think at the time these where like 8-10 cents each and I was buying loaded ammo for 8-10$ 50 rounds?

Last edited:
Interesting to see others reload this caliber. I considered reloading for my CZ82 (before selling it last year) but for such a cheap gun, I just shot the cheap steel cased ammo through it.

Interesting to see others reload this caliber. I considered reloading for my CZ82 (before selling it last year) but for such a cheap gun, I just shot the cheap steel cased ammo through it.

Exactly ..... if I didn't snag those Sierra (5 boxes) I wouldn't have loaded any jacketed bullets. My cast loads leaded the barrel. Same alloy and lube I use on my 9mm loads ? So I basically gave up on the mak. The last 1000 rounds of steel cased ammo I picked up was on sale and paid 129 shipped.

Now it's 200$ plus when I see it and the only bullet I can find is hornady for 18 cents each.

Last edited:
Exactly .....
Now it's 200$ plus when I see it and the only bullet I can find is hornady for 18 cents each.

It looks to me that 26 cents a round is about the lowest for steel-cased, if you can find it in stock. Brass-cased is closer to 32 cents a pop.

How long before we see the same comments and laments about 7.62x54R?

Last edited:
Is anyone loading for this caliber? I'm thinking about getting a CZ82 but was wondering if it would be worth reloading. Also, does anyone know if its okay to use lead bullets in the CZ 82 with the polygonal barrel?
I acquired a nice used cz82 10round 9mm Makarov from my uncle in Tn awhile ago. since one of the pistols I reload for is 9mm luger,I have ample supply of fired brass. I sent for Lee dies in 9mm makarov,and found through ebay a hand case trimmer to adjust brass length to 9mm Makarov length. I located some 95gr lead bullets from online store and began reloading process. Forget exact powder weight,but went with ww231,since have ample supply and use for my .45acp 1911 pistols. After loading up 50 rounds,went to my indoor gun range and tried out. All performed excellent,good accuracy,and no ftf or fte. Don't really shoot this gun a lot,since mostly enjoy my 1911's and .38 specials. Found another 10 round magazine online,as wanted to have one extra. Reloading for over 45yrs,so this first time with this pistol/caliber was a learning experience. As far as polygonal rifling is concerned,I have a Glock 21 SF in .45acp,and have reloaded,shot hard cast bullets in it. Never any issues,just make sure I give barrel a good cleaning when done shooting it.

Old thread no doubt, i used to reload for my CZ-82, 95gr projectiles from Hornady (also used Berry's TMJ), Starline brass, Data from the Hornady book, haven't reloaded in a few years, my gear is packed up since the divorce.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom