Removing bad stains..

I use the word stains for lack of a better way to to describe it.

I have a few semi's that have devolped bad stains on the breech face over the years, the head stamps are visibile. While I know that's a result of the blueing being hammered, they still seem to yield powder and grime no matter how much I brush and wipe them.

I also have a 617 that I wasn't to happy with when I bought it. They seemed to have skiped the final polishing step on the breech face. As a result the breech face seems to be always dirty and it's hard to clean. Also it has black strips similar to what a magic marker would make on the sides of the forcing cone that won't come off.

Hoppes9, Hoppes automatic, Shooters choice, Breakfree clp have not removed the stains.

Can any one suggest another solvent?

I wonder if this is the kind of thing an ultrasonic cleaner might do a good job on. [thinking]

Some of the specific carbon removers might work. We use to have some black powder shooting gel/lube that we used on our M-14s to get out carbon. We used it on the gas pistons after we drilled them.

B

by breach face do you mean the front of the cylinder ? I would suggest scoth brite fine or very fine use it to remove crud ar marking that nothing else will remove. Another suggestion JB Bore Paste very mild abrassive used to clean copper fouling from rifle bores made from vegatible materials the bench shooters swear by it.I use it myself to clean my 223 does an excellent job. Brownell's carries it
but I have seen locally but can't remember where.

This stuff is supposed to work wonders:

Carbon Killer

I was going to buy some until I read this on the page:
After cleaning, always re-apply SLiP2000™ Lubricant to metal surfaces and allow to penetrate pores of metal.

That ruined it for me. Now any claim they make is suspect in my mind. If you opt to try it and it works, please report back.

In the meantime, I've decided that I can live with a little discoloration on my guns.

by breach face do you mean the front of the cylinder ?
No I mean the actual breach face where the firing pin comes out.. I've scrubbed them with toothbrushes and hoppes and to get it really clean takes quite a while and even then I'm not usally happy with the results.

Then scotch brite will do the trick. We use it work on all kinds os SS in work and takes off just about everything except pitting. These are jet engine parts BTW I still think that JB bore paste will remove
any other stains that you have but it might take some of the bluing off if they are blued.

+1 for Scotch bright ....... just make sure you get Ultra fine, and if there is an existing direction (grain) in the factory finish then follow that direction when cleaning. I find that a little rub with the Scotch bright pad takes off stuff that sovents never work on!

Then scotch brite will do the trick. We use it work on all kinds os SS in work and takes off just about everything except pitting. These are jet engine parts BTW I still think that JB bore paste will remove
any other stains that you have but it might take some of the bluing off if they are blued.

Just don't use it on visible polished surfaces or you'll scratch the finish.

I have been having the same problem. Although the .22 seems to clean up pretty readily, the .45 (sw1911) is a real pain and still is never really spotless. I have noticed that when I shoot Winchester White Box .45 it makes a mess on the breech face. A really big mess that won't come off. It looks like some dirt or grime that is caked on real good. A toothpick, which works wonders on the crud left in the .22 won't even scratch what is left in the .45. Last time I went out I bought a couple of boxes of CCI Blazer and those hardly dirtied the breech face at all. Better primers? Anyway, I've decided to spend a little more on ammo that won't muck up my guns so that I can spend less time cleaning them.

What ammo are you using? I've heard good things about Lead Away cloth for stainless steal guns, but haven't tried it. It's got to be better than mixing up a batch of Ed's Red, no?

I just got a case of .45 CCI Blazer. It burns a lot cleaner than the PMC and the rest of the FMJ stuff I've been using for practice.

I've had real good luck just using CCI Blazer in every thing.

I like the lead away cloth on the SS cyliders and breech faces in the revolvers.

I also like using a bore snake on my revolvers. I just put some hoppes in each cylinder and the barrel and run the snake throuh a couple of times.

The biggest problem I have is with blue Semi's they take most of my cleaning time.

Back
Top Bottom