Reporting firearm purchase

Did some searching and couldnt find an answer. Was wondering if i have to report purchase of a gun to my town of Natick. Lgs told me that I didnt and thats what the frb is for. Just want to make sure, as this has been bothering me. Thanks a lot for any insight

Did some searching and couldnt find an answer. Was wondering if i have to report purchase of a gun to my town of Natick. Lgs told me that I didnt and thats what the frb is for. Just want to make sure, as this has been bothering me. Thanks a lot for any insight

You bought it from an FFL?

From my understanding as long as you bought it from an FFL in the state you reside you do not need to report it. If you bought it out of state you have to do it within 7 days with a FA-10.

From my understanding as long as you bought it from an FFL in the state you reside you do not need to report it. If you bought it out of state you have to do it within 7 days with a FA-10.

Almost correct.

NOBODY reports purchase and sales to local PDs, period!

Transfers done at a MA FFL . . . they do the paperwork and the FRB gets that record.
Transfers done at a non-MA FFL . . . you do the eFA-10 within 7 days and FRB gets that record. Done as "registration" with NO info on source of the gun.
FTF Transfers done with another MA LTC/FID holder . . . the two of you do the eFA-10 and FRB gets that record. NOTE: Fed'l Law PROHIBITS acquisitions from private parties if both parties are not resident of the same state (only exception is inheritance)!

He's asking if he has to report it to the town which he lives in. Maybe he at sometime heard about a law that NH had and did away with. Son Lance (NHFFL) had to send a form to the local PD when he sold a handgun. Jack.

I purchased at ffl in holliston. Theres so many laws it can be confusing. Thanks for all the responses, I just want to make absolutely sure im on the right side of the law. So I do not need to report sale then

I purchased at ffl in holliston. Theres so many laws it can be confusing. Thanks for all the responses, I just want to make absolutely sure im on the right side of the law. So I do not need to report sale then
There are things that go on that the dealer may not tell you about. If you buy more than one handgun in a certain time period (forget what it is) by Fed law he must report it to the whole world with the "multiple sales form" Jack.

Last edited:
I searched but it is still not clear. A buddy of mine bought a rifle (mass compliant 22 plinker) out of state at a gun store. I thought he was all set if he left it at his house in NH but because he is a mass resident does that mean he still needs to fill out a FA10?

Sent from the blind

I searched but it is still not clear. A buddy of mine bought a rifle (mass compliant 22 plinker) out of state at a gun store. I thought he was all set if he left it at his house in NH but because he is a mass resident does that mean he still needs to fill out a FA10?

Sent from the blind
If it crosses the border into MA, it needs to be FA-10ed within 7 days of the crossing. If it stays in NH, it is none of MA's business.

Back
Top Bottom