Republicans Work to Make Purchasing Mace, Pepper Spray an Easier Process

not suprised

i read the T&G article and responses, the BG"S don't have a problem getting
what they want, go to another state, but it come back here and sell
to other BG's... oh suprise suprise... or better still they have a group buy.

those opposed are aftaid of themsleves, those thet claim its about the
money are CORRECT.....

JimB

i saw this one news this morning.

[rolleyes]

http://www.tauntongazette.com/news/...iminate-FID-requirement-for-Mace-pepper-spray

Legislation filed by a local senator would allow citizens to carry self-defense sprays without a firearms identification card, and the bill is receiving overwhelming support from colleagues and public safety officials.

"It's so basic and straightforward. I don't understand why we just can't do this, especially in an era where we want to encourage people to take protective measures for their own personal well being," said Rep. Jennifer Callahan, D-Sutton. "It's amazing we still haven't done it."

The bill, filed by state Sen. Scott Brown, R-Wrentham, would allow any state resident to purchase self-defense sprays such as Mace or pepper spray without a license.

Massachusetts is the only state that require a Firearms Identification Card (FID) to carry these sprays.

With Brown's bill and support of almost a dozen state senators and representatives, the measure has worked its way to the Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security.

"It's a public safety issue. Women are oftentimes attacked and raped, and something as simple as getting pepper spray would potentially save them," Brown said. "There shouldn't be a huge impediment to getting something as simple as pepper spray."

Under the Gun Control Act of 1998, anyone in Massachusetts must obtain an FID card to carry a self-defense spray. Local police stations issue the FID cards and collect a $25 fee. Those carrying Mace or pepper spray are issued a "restricted" license, meaning they can carry the spray, but not a gun, unless they receive training.

Mendon Police Chief Ernie Horn said he also favors the bill.

"You could walk into the store and buy hornet spray that will shoot twice the distance and could permanently injure you for life, and you don't need a permit for that," Horn said. "I see no reason for that level of restriction" with self-defense sprays.[smile]

Milford Police Chief Thomas O'Loughlin said the law which classifies pepper spray as ammunition is a "stretch of the statute."

"Most people carry it for protection," he said. "I don't have a problem with it as long as people use it in that fashion as a defensive mechanism."

Horn agreed.

"I think it's definitely a stretch, I always thought that," he said.

Jim Wallace, executive director of the Northborough-based Gun Owners' Action League, said the law is "absurd."

"It's absurd at the least to say people should have to have a license to carry defense spray," he said. "No other state in the nation does so."

But John Rosenthal, cofounder of Stop Handgun Violence, said he opposes the bill.

"If it's not broken, why fix it?" he asked. "I'm not seeing a lot of people having major problems getting pepper spray with FID cards."

With a $25 licensing fee, which does not need to be renewed, the process is "not cumbersome," Rosenthal said.

Rather than discount the law because no other state requires an FID card for defense sprays, Rosenthal said other states should consider following suit.

"We also have the second lowest firearm fatality (rate) in the nation after Hawaii," Rosenthal said, referring to Massachusetts' statistics. "We do a lot of things right. We're the model for the nation, we're the good news."
[rolleyes]

Still, Callahan called the law a "stringent hurdle."

O'Loughlin spoke to those hurdles. Recalling his years in the 1990s as police chief in Wellesley, O'Loughlin said college students often faced obstacles in obtaining a license to carry self-defense spray.

"Any out-of-state resident couldn't get a license," he said. "It was a difficulty."

Wallace said he is glad the bill has finally garnered broad-based support.

"It's a law put in place with the 1998 Gun Control Act, and it's a hot button issue no one wants to bring up," he said.

Horn added: "I think it's overdue and, time to look at it. I'm happy they're addressing it."

A public hearing has not been scheduled for this bill.

Brown said there's a fair amount of support for the measure.

"It's safety first," he said.

Rosenthal is a liar. You will probably have to make 4 round trips to the police station: 1. get the form, 2. turn in the forms, 3. come in for fingerprinting and photos, 4. pick up the card. Plus, a long time to wait, and the stress of wondering if you'll be approved. Oh, then you have to carry the card all the time... I'm scared to think what may happen if you get stopped by police with the spray but you forgot the card.

It's great to see the police chiefs start backing common sense legislation. I think they have known all along what is right and what is wrong, but they are finally starting to back the proper side.

The anti-gun people have to be against pepper spray.

Common sense tells you that the only reason to carry pepper spray is to defend yourself if you are attacked. The whole premise of gun control is that there is no real need to ever defend yourself and that only paranoid losers even consider the need to use any form a of self defense. In other words, who needs mace, we have the police.

Also, like it or not, it's very intimidating for many women to even walk into a police station.

BTW, it would nice if this went through because if might easier to order some of the good OC online.

Rosenthal is a liar. You will probably have to make 4 round trips to the police station:

Actually make that 6 trips.... my local PD doesn't accept any form of payment other than a receipt from the cashier's office (which is only open during hours that I am at work), so add a wasted trip to the PD plus a very inconvenient work-skipping trip to get the receipt.

And yes, many people won't go to the PD because they find it intimidating.

I'd like to see the cop that would charge a man or woman for using pepper spray to protect themselves. screw the bureaucrats, buy it somewhere else. What a joke.

My girlfriend had to jump through hoops to get her OC permit. It was literally worse than me getting my LTC. (2 different towns).

I live in CA nestled between the People's Republic of Berkeley and Occupied San Francisco, but the MA laws amaze me.

Pepper Spray: In CA, 18yrs and older. But unlike cigaretts, I see it hanging next to the gum in the grocery story checkout line. No license rqd.

Ammunition Components: When I take my 2 boys (9 & 11) to the range they fill their pockets with (unwanted) brass. Some days that stuff's all over the house. There's no goofey laws about brass & bullets.

Ammo: 18 and older. No FID type license required.

MA sure likes their subjects defensless.

Unlicensed procurement of defensive sprays would go a long way to protecting people, especially women. Rosenthal's comments are tantamount to advocating for the disarmament and targeting of our wives, girlfriends, daughters, mothers, aunts, grandmothers, nieces and granddaughters.

Rosenthal is really scum. Where is this bill in the process?

I am proud of Deputy Chief Rock, basically laughing at the whole idea that a license is needed for OC.

In lunenburg, yrs ago, when I applied for my FID the officer strongly recommended that I not bother with that, and just get the LTC A for the same cost.

With a $25 licensing fee, which does not need to be renewed, the process is "not cumbersome," Rosenthal said.

I had to pay $100 for my FID.

Or is it different if you're only getting it for mace?

Mase shouldn't be a problem to buy in every retail store or seven eleven. I bet spraying a can of off in somebodies eyes would do more permanent damage. Ya don't see anybody making carrying off against the law. I think they even have little travel ones that are on belt holsters. Good thing I got an LTC I might need it for my bug spray.

I had to pay $100 for my FID.

Or is it different if you're only getting it for mace?

It's different if they are aware of the laws. I tried convincing someone to get a restricted, and told her that it was only $25 and she could renew for free, unlike $100 every renewal for a regular LTC. She would't go with an LTC, so I thought this was a good stepping stone.

The police officer said that even for pepper spray it was $100 and there was no such thing as free renewals, and basically made her feel really dumb. I printed out the regs from mass.gov, but at that point she didn't feel like going back to the police station.
[sad2]

The police officer said that even for pepper spray it was $100 and there was no such thing as free renewals, and basically made her feel really dumb. I printed out the regs from mass.gov, but at that point she didn't feel like going back to the police station.
[sad2]

Then that deserves a letter to the chief, including the print out, just in case he doesn't know it.

[angry]

Requiring an FID for pepper spray has never made sense.

I just hope that if they change the law, they don't then use the availability of pepper spray as a reason to decline more LTCs.

Requiring an FID for pepper spray has never made sense.

I just hope that if they change the law, they don't then use the availability of pepper spray as a reason to decline more LTCs.

They would have to change the definition of ammunition. Or allow everyone to posses ammunition without a license.

Then that deserves a letter to the chief, including the print out, just in case he doesn't know it.

[angry]

What makes you think that they don't know what they are doing? Won't be the first (or last) department to steal from citizens by charging more than the law allows. I also know of >70 yos that have been charged for their renewals of LTCs, even though the law is very clear on it.

They would have to change the definition of ammunition. Or allow everyone to posses ammunition without a license.

Yes, otherwise they would still be prosecuted (especially in colleges) for possession.

What makes you think that they don't know what they are doing? Won't be the first (or last) department to steal from citizens by charging more than the law allows. I also know of >70 yos that have been charged for their renewals of LTCs, even though the law is very clear on it.

It would be the first that I've heard of that a licensing authority is deliberately and maliciously breaking the law by overcharging applicants for something that they are REQUIRED BY LAW to issue. This isn't like an LTC where the COP can try to add any stipulations on the issuance of a license that s/he chooses. An FID and a Restricted FID are both Shall Issue, meaning if the applicant meets the minimum requirements defined by the law, the Chief has to issue the license.

It's possible Len, but I'd still write the letter.

If I am correct I think that the fine for Pepper spray w/o a permit is $50.

I can walk into several different stores in NYC (I know Chuck's back yard) and buy the small containers as long as I'm over 18.

Back
Top Bottom