• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Responses from MA Representatives and Senators

From Carolyn Dykema, supposedly rated A by GOAL:

Thank you for your email regarding proposals to increase regulation of firearms in Massachusetts. I've received many comments on this topic recently and I appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective.

As you know, Massachusetts already has some of the most strict and comprehensive gun laws in the country. In the past few weeks, as I've heard from constituents and become more educated about our firearms laws, I've learned that many of the proposals being considered at the federal level, such as an assault weapons ban and limited magazine size, have been in place here for many years.

What I have also learned is that in the aftermath of recent tragedies, most of our residents believe - those who own guns and those who do not - that it is appropriate and necessary for Massachusetts to review what measures are in place to make sure we are doing all we can to protect the safety of the public. Many of the gun owners I've heard from shared specific suggestions for additional measures that they felt would be beneficial.

Many of the specific concerns that I've heard from firearms owners are in response to legislation filed by Governor Patrick and Rep. David Linsky. While these bills represent the start to a conversation in the legislature, we all understand that nothing will move forward until there has been adequate time to hear from the public and have an honest discussion about what measures will truly have an impact on protecting our citizens. There already seems to be common ground emerging with respect to stricter penalties for gun crimes and more vigilence in performing background checks.

Speaker DeLeo recently announced the establishment of a task force that will focus on gathering and evaluating feedback from experts and the public in the coming months and make recommendations to the legislature by the end of the summer. I will share information on the task force's schedule with you when it becomes available.

Conversations that touch on second amendment rights are always challenging and often emotional. But I do believe that with adequate public discussion we can come up with a realistic proposal that will truly serve in the best intersests of our residents and our communities.

Thank you again for reaching out to make me aware of your concerns. I'll look forward to staying in touch.
Respectfully,
Carolyn Dykema

I dont believe GOAL ratings. My State Senator (Flanagan) sent me some ambiguous nonsense, and Rep Rosa has not responded to any inquiries.

THANKS

From Carolyn Dykema, supposedly rated A by GOAL:
Speaker DeLeo recently announced the establishment of a task force that will focus on gathering and evaluating feedback from experts and the public in the coming months and make recommendations to the legislature by the end of the summer. I will share information on the task force's schedule with you when it becomes available.
This is interesting information. I would suggest that everyone writing or contacting in the future push on their reps to try to ensure that this task force includes ACTUAL experts:
Comm2A
GOAL
NSSF
MA Police Against Gun Control
and so on.

Otherwise it will be a Rosenthal Dog and Pony show.

This was one response from one of my reps (Steven Howitt) after a very detailed email on the subject. I have been elected/sit on numerous boards/committees in my town and have meet him a few times. He is currently listed as "Leaning Opposed" in the tracker. Not sure if anyone has received anything else that would imply he may be wavering.

Dear *****,
Thank you for your letter stating your concerns. Also, thank you for your service to the Town of ********.
I am an ardent supporter of 2nd amendment rights. I will do my best to protect them.
Thank you.
Steven Howitt

- - - Updated - - -

Also, this is from his website.

Memberships and Associations

Aurora Civic Association
Bristol County Selectmen's Association
GOAL Gun Owners Action League
MFBF Massachusetts Farm Bureau Federation
NFIB National Association of Independent Business
NRA National Rifle Association
100 Club of RI
RBA Rehoboth Business Association
RIGCSA RI Golf Course Superintendents Association
RJC Republican Jewish Coalition
SAG-AFTRA Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists
Seekonk Lions Club
Sons of the American Legion
Touro Fraternal Association
Wampanoag Rod and Gun Club

Last edited:
I just posted the graph of the responses from MA Senators and Reps. on Facebook and hope to help it go viral. While it is a GREAT tool and took a lot of hard work to put it together I thought it was time to share it with the public starting on Facebook and seek their help to get the word out.

- - - Updated - - -

My Senator and Rep. are both opposed to the proposed liberal progressive legislation.

Here's what I got from Senator Michael Barrett:

Thanks for writing, Kenneth. I’m in the early stages of trying to understand Gov. Patrick’s gun control proposals for Massachusetts and the rather different proposals of various State Representatives and State Senators. I want to analyze these possibilities in light of President Obama’s suggestions for federal legislation, since I’m wary about creating conflicts and ambiguities between state and national law. Needless to say, I also have to weigh everything against the feelings and ideas pouring in from my impressively informed constituents, of which you are clearly one.

This is not easy. It’s going to take me a little while. You will be pleased to hear that, at least according to my reading of events, the Massachusetts Legislature isn't going to rush to judgment here, the Governor’s sense of urgency notwithstanding. Don't get me wrong: The General Court is likely to make new attempts to stem violence that involves guns, but the character and degree of these efforts are open to discussion. Your letter comes at a good time and is helping me sort my way through the tall pile of ideas on the table. I hear you, and I'm grateful to you for writing.

Respectfully,
cleardot.gif

Sen. Mike Barrett

And I waited over a week for this response from Representative Cory Atkins' secretary:

Dear Kenneth,

Thank you for contacting Representative Atkins in regards to your concern. I will pass this along to Rep. Atkins.

If we can ever be of assistance to you, please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,
Sam

Here's what I got back:

Dear,

Hope all is well. Thank you very much for taking the time to reach out to my office with your thoughts on gun control legislation.

Our nation experienced some very tragic mass-shootings in 2012, the Sandy Hook massacre being the most recent. When these types of events occur, there is often a surge of support from the public and certain legislators to look at and re-evaluate our current gun-control laws, both at the national and state level.

Gun control is a very challenging policy area to tackle as advocates and opponents are extremely passionate about it. My office has been inundated with correspondence from many of my constituents on both sides of the issue. I understand each person’s argument and recognize the various public safety concerns people have with guns as well as the Second Amendment rights of gun owners.

Two comprehensive gun-control bills have been filed in the 2013-14 Massachusetts legislative session; one from State Representative David Linsky and one from Governor Deval Patrick. Representative Linsky’s bill includes over 25 different provisions, addressing various areas including licensing standards and gun storage limits. Governor Patrick’s bill has a limit on purchases to one gun a month and calls on for an increased investment in mental health treatment.

These bills have only recently been filed and will each receive a lengthy public review and rigorous legislative examination. There will be public hearings held in the coming months where activists and opponents have the chance to voice their opinions and concerns. I look forward to this process as it will bring out a multitude of viewpoints on this polarizing issue.

Additionally, House Speaker DeLeo is having Northeastern University Associate Dean Jack McDevitt lead a task force to study gun laws and the intersection between gun violence and mental health. Recommendations from this commission could be incorporated into either bill once each goes through the legislative process.

Gun enthusiasts have been very vocal with their disapproval of more regulations once Rep. Linsky and Gov. Patrick filed their respective bills. The number of new proposals can be very alarming for those who want less government interference in purchasing and owning and guns/ammunition. I will note that the language of a bill rarely remains the same when it is filed to when it is signed into law.

Due to the divisiveness of these bills, I would not expect to see them have the same language, or include every single provision that each was filed with. I realize that you, among many others, are extremely passionate about this issue and urge that patience be used in this situation. These bills will not be voted on overnight.

Nationally, after Vice President Biden conducted a gun-violence task force, President Obama introduced his own legislation asking Congress to pass universal background checks and reinstate the federal ban on assault weapons. While Massachusetts already has some of the nation’s strongest gun laws, please keep in mind that any action taken by Congress regarding gun control legislation would supersede the laws of Massachusetts.

Thank you very much again for taking the time to contact my office regarding your position on gun control legislation. I intend to look over each gun control bill in depth, attend the public hearings, and participate in the legislative debate. Should any gun control bill reach the point to where it will be voted on by the Massachusetts legislature, I will certainly take everything into account, including your correspondence, before deciding on whether to support the bill(s) or not. Please don’t hesitate to contact my office again should you have any additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Representative Stanley
9th Middlesex
State House Room 167
Boston, MA 02133
(617) 722-2230
[email protected]

Great job man, nicely done.

Rep. Bradley Jones Jr. (Minority Leader) is supposedly opposed according to the Asst. Minority Leader, Rep. George Peterson Jr. We need to get confirmation on that.

I got a letter back from Brad Jones, non-commital "starting conversation...going through legislative process, etc". It did not say what his stance was, in my opinion.

Ya, once these pieces of shit legislation are actually being looked at we need to just hammer the phones and insist that these people call us back so we can have actual conversations. I don't think most will commit either way in writing. We are just going to continue to get boilerplate letters or emails back.

Bill - Thank you for taking the time to contact me on the issue of gun rights. I join you in your misgivings with the governor's bill as it is written. There is no reason to be punishing law abiding citizens who have complied in good faith with Massachusetts strict gun laws in possessing legal firearms for sporting and personal protection purposes. I appreciate your thoughts and will do everything within my power to bring common sense to the debate and support the rights of lawful gun owners. Thank you for writing and please keep in touch.

Todd Smola, State Representative

Bill - Thank you for taking the time to contact me on the issue of gun rights. I join you in your misgivings with the governor's bill as it is written. There is no reason to be punishing law abiding citizens who have complied in good faith with Massachusetts strict gun laws in possessing legal firearms for sporting and personal protection purposes. I appreciate your thoughts and will do everything within my power to bring common sense to the debate and support the rights of lawful gun owners. Thank you for writing and please keep in touch.

Todd Smola, State Representative

I love how he left the door open with "as it is written". We all know these things are debated and revisions are always made from when it was submitted.

On a side note. We still have 104 members of the House and 19 from the Senate that are "UNKNOWNS" according to the spreadsheet. We really need to go down the list and get on them with calls and physical letters.

I love how he left the door open with "as it is written". We all know these things are debated and revisions are always made from when it was submitted.

On a side note. We still have 104 members of the House and 19 from the Senate that are "UNKNOWNS" according to the spreadsheet. We really need to go down the list and get on them with calls and physical letters.

yeah, i noticed that,
but from what I've heard about him, I don't want to read too much into it.
(having said that, my fingers ARE crossed and I have my grain of salt handy)

Mr. xxxxxxx,

Thanks for getting in touch about this important issue. I understand the concerns about sweeping and reactionarygun control legislation, especially because we live in a state with some of the strictest gun laws in the country.I have reservations about new gun control laws for the state of Massachusetts, where the process to legally obtain a firearm already includes training, fingerprinting, strict screenings, and several comprehensive background checks,as well as the approval of the local Chief of Police. During my 16 years in the legislature, I have strived to respect the rights of gun owners in our state and address some legislation that could unnecessarily infringe upon their rights. My record has earned me an A+ rating with the Gun Owners Action League. I am wary of some of the proposals I have learned of, and I will look over them carefully when they come before the State Senate. I will certainly keep your letter in mind when considering the provisions proposed in the Governor's bill, as well as in anyother gun control legislation that comes up this session. I appreciate your advocacy on this issue, and thank you again for getting in touch.

Sincerely,

Michael J. Rodrigues
STATE SENATOR
First Bristol and Plymouth

Not quite sure what that means.

Dear XXX,

Thank you for contacting me about potential firearm legislation in the new legislative session. I appreciate the time you took to share your concerns.

Few tragedies in our nation's history have ever been both as horrifying as the shooting at Sandy Hook, and it is imperative that we address the causes of this troubling incident. That does not mean, however, that we should disregard the rights of responsible gun owners. Any legislation that I support will represent a reasonable, measured approach to the issues that have been highlighted by recent mass shootings. There are a number of proposals being discussed currently and, as the legislative session begins, I will consider them all very carefully with your concerns in mind.

Again, thank you for writing to me about this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact my office again with any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Katherine Clark
State Senator
5th Middlesex

Received this response from my Rep:

Dear Ron,

Thanks for your email. Sorry for the late reply but I wanted to be sure to respond to you. As a responsible gun-owner myself, I am troubled by the knee-jerk proposals that are being offered on both the Federal and State level in reaction to the horrific tragedy in Newtown, CT. I am a sportsman, LTC holder and gun owner and I could not agree with you more. Myself and a few colleagues have been leading the charge to have a civil conversation on these issues and will continue to encourage people to enforce our already incredibly strict gun laws and go after criminals, not further take away the rights of law abiding citizens as so described by the governor and some of my colleagues. Please rest assured that I will do all in my power to continue to advocate for our 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Amendment Rights. I plan to stay on top if it here in Massachusetts, be a part of the conversation and hopefully be a voice of reason to my colleagues in the House if and when we do take up the issue of gun control during this legislative session. Thanks again for getting in touch (and welcome to the GOP!)

Sincerely,

Matthew A. Beaton
State Representative
11th Worcester

Hi Ron,

Thanks for contacting me on this subject, it is certainly in the forefront of everyone’s mind right now and it’s without a doubt that the issue of gun control will take center stage in this legislative session.

I think you bring up a great point regarding the Second Amendment, and the frequent misunderstanding of it, and also the attempts to limit it.

We’ve received numerous proposals related to gun rights and violence. At this point I am going to reserve judgment on any specific issues until I have had the opportunity to fully digest the Governor’s proposal. That being said, as a current gun owner I can assure you that I will be looking out for the rights provided us by the Constitution and I agree with you on the points that you have made. It is unfortunate that this discussion has turned from ‘violence prevention’ which is the true problem we face, to ‘gun control’ which will only penalize law abiding citizens as criminals will break the law no matter what it is.

Again, thank you for reaching out to my office and sharing your thoughts on this very important issue.

Best regards,
Peter Durant
State Representative

6th Worcester District

Tel: (617)772-2060
Email:
[email protected]

Sub: A concerned citizen

Mr. Durant,

Many of people today, including most of our elected officials (public servants), don’t understand the meaning of the second amendment. They have the false idea that the second amendment is an out dated right that had to do with hunting, the fear of indian attack or invasion from a foreign power. In order to understand a document such as the constitution we have to examine the writings of the developers of the constitution and their contemporaries. While there are many of the “founders” that can be quoted on this issue, Noah Webster, puts it very succinctly in a letter he wrote in 1787.“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Tyranny and oppression are the reasons we have the second amendment.While there are good people that don’t believe in guns that is their right, but they need to respect the right to bear arms. There are people likewise that are one issue second amendment people. The infringements upon our right to bear arms are only a symptom. Our rights have been subtly violated yearly. With increasing frequency our rights are being “compromised” away. When the President, the Governor, our state legislators, and federal legislators create laws that violate the constitution on any point they violate our rights. We have rights that are “inalienable” and “given by God” according to the Declaration of Independence. The Constitution was drafted to protect those rights. If the Constitution which protects our God given rights is violated, our rights are violated. We cannot pick and choose which rights we want to defend. There is no compromise with extinguishing rights. If we compromise on one, we WILL lose them all.

I hope you understand the way people in your district truely feel, there is a reason Charlton has the second most conceal carry permits in the state and one of the lowest crime rates in the state. All proposed bills hurt the law abiding and are unconstitutional.

Thank you,
Charlton resident

Just got this:

Responsibly curbing gun violence

By Senator Richard T. Moore

January 25, 2013 ... The topic of gun violence in society has recently resurfaced following the horrific events that took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut just over a month ago. This unspeakable violence has rekindled a debate about methods for keeping our schools, streets and, overall, communities safe from future occurrences of such horrific violence.

Second Amendment rights activists have since found themselves pitted against gun control proponents, and vice versa. Some have positioned the rule of law as the strongest deterrent of such violence, claiming that without stronger penalties, bans on certain devices, or new regulations we will not be safe. Others, on the other hand, have asserted just the opposite: it’s not the law that prevents violence, it’s the people who commit the heinous acts; and therefore we must seek prevention and target those who pose the greatest risk of spawning this pure terror.

Whether you are pro-gun control or pro-gun rights, we can all agree that something needs to be accomplished to avoid a repeat of Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, Columbine from occurring again, whether in classrooms, on campuses, in shopping malls, or even in our own backyards. Approaching these tragedies, however, requires a rational approach. We must thoughtfully consider any legislative action, especially during this trying and emotional time. Logic must be the driver of the legislative process rather than emotional reactions to heart wrenching tragedies.

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution and Article 17 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth both provide for the right of gun possession. For many years, pro-gun and anti-gun advocates have debated whether the Second Amendment was limited to military purposes or whether it protects an individual’s right to possess and carry firearms. Recently, the United States Supreme Court issued two landmark decisions officially establishing the individual right interpretation.

In a 2008 case entitled District of Columbia v. Heller, the Court ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm, unconnected to service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes. Two years later, in 2010, the Court in McDonald v. Chicago held that the Second Amendment limits state and local governments to the same extent that it limits the federal government. Certainly these cases delivered a home run for gun rights activists, however their application in communities across the Nation, including the Commonwealth, and effect, is in question today.

Of course, all citizens are expected to use any right responsibly and not infringe on the rights of others. This axiom relates to all of our rights, liberties and freedoms. For example, courts have limited the Freedom of Speech by prohibiting individuals from falsely yelling “fire” in a crowded room. Moreover, courts have upheld states rights to regulate gun ownership in order to promote public safety.

Most responsible gun owners understand, and even support, these laws that promote responsible gun ownership and punish illegal gun use for reasons of public safety. Experience has shown, however, that unreasonable rules and regulations restricting gun ownership have not curbed gun violence, especially those who don’t respect life or laws.

Any murder, especially murder of children, is a reprehensible act! The sorrow felt by the nation following Sandy Hook and other tragedies is perhaps unmatched by any we have felt at least since September 11, 2001. Yet, many proposals advanced in reaction to these recent shootings by the President, Governor Patrick, and some legislators seem to add more burdens to those who have acted responsibly within the law, while failing to stop gun violence by those who are bent on violating the law.

Some legitimately question, what evidence is there that makes any rational person sincerely believe that those who are mentally unstable or intent on committing violence will honor new, harsher restrictions on legal gun ownership?

While it is true that guns were the weapons used at Sandy Hook, and in other shootings, the problem is much deeper than the type of weapon involved. Americans have a Constitutional right to ownership of firearms, and that right must be respected. For the most part, it is the illegal use of firearms by unsuitable persons, not law-abiding gun owners, who are the perpetrators of these shocking events.

Since 1998, Massachusetts has among the most stringent gun licensing laws in the country, including an “assault weapons” ban. The Massachusetts gun license requirements currently involve a criminal background check and an application process that involves local police. We also prohibit individuals who have been hospitalized or confined for mental illness, permanently, from obtaining a license to carry. Additionally, for nearly forty years, Massachusetts has had a strict law (Bartley-Fox, passed in 1974) limiting handgun possession outside the home for which violations are punishable by a mandatory year in jail.

It is certainly appropriate to review the effectiveness of these current gun licensing laws in Massachusetts, and make sure that they are being enforced. But, the problem of gun violence extends beyond the choice of weapon and the person who uses it in a violent crime. Therefore, if we can make it less likely that unlicensed persons can gain possession of firearms, we should take effective measures to do so.

This requires, for one, a renewed focus on our mental health system. Recent health care reform legislation enacted in Massachusetts, of which I was a primary sponsor, will help to raise the standards and provide greater resources for those with mental health and behavioral health issues. For too long, behavioral health and mental health have been an afterthought of a health care delivery model, but we know too well what happens when these legitimate health needs are ignored, or unmet.

We also need to support our school nurses, school-based health centers, school counselors and public safety school resource officers, and give them the staffing and resources needed to deal with young people who may need professional intervention before they act out violently against others.

Given the fact that Sandy Hook, Columbine and other horrific events occurred in school settings, we need to improve security in our schools. That should not mean that schools must become armed fortresses or that school personnel be required to carry weapons. Instead, building off of school health emergency plan legislation I helped to pass last session, we should review the safety of the school buildings and ensure the maximum effectiveness of school emergency plans.

On that point, we need to ask the Massachusetts School Building Authority (MSBA) to work closely with local educational planners in the construction or renovation of schools to include effective measures that make it more difficult for an intruder to break into a school. Schools should also have the resources and technology to, for example, be able to lock down sections of schools in an emergency situation for the protection of students and school personnel until emergency responders have time to arrive on the scene. I’ve filed legislation this session to better incorporate public safety opinions into new school constructions or renovations, and better equip administrators and officials with necessary resources to respond to emergencies, and most importantly, respond to the needs of at-risk children.

Simply enacting more feel good laws that will only be obeyed by responsible citizens will not prevent violence by those who neither respect the law, nor value human life. Such measures will not make our children, or our society, safer. We need comprehensive, thoughtful measures that tackle the root of the issue, provide adequate safeguards, and respect the rights of law-abiding citizens. That’s a responsible approach to curbing gun violence, and that is what I will support. Most importantly, we can do more to protect our kids, their teachers, and our community, and that is what I intend to fight for.

Atilla,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me about your concerns on the Governor’s proposed Gun Legislation. Please know that I do not support this legislation and have signed on to seven of GOAL’s proposed bills.

Thank you again for writing; it is always a pleasure to hear from my constituents. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Rep. Dennis A. Rosa

[thumbsup].

Back
Top Bottom