• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Responses from MA Representatives and Senators

Well, I haven't heard back from Spilka or Sannicandro, despite having sent emails and leaving messages. I put letters in the mail today to the house and senate majority and minority leaders, as well as Spilka and Sannicandro. I'd call more persistently, but I sit in an open office at work.

January 28, 2013

From John Tierney

Dear Mr. X:

Since the recent tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, you and many others have reached out to me to share your frustration and concerns. As such, I want to take this opportunity to share with you an op-ed I wrote, entitled “Time to Take a Stand,” which was published in the Lowell Sun on January 1, 2013.

As always, I encourage you to contact me regarding any matter of concern to you.

Time to Take a Stand
By Congressman John F. Tierney
Time to take stand on assault weapons - Lowell Sun Online

At a recent candlelight vigil for the victims of the Newtown, Connecticut shooting, I was struck by the resolve of the men, women and children standing beside me. There was sadness and there were tears shed, but there was also a renewed commitment for change, a steely demand that something be done to at least reduce the chances of another tragedy like this from happening again.

Throughout my time in Congress, I have supported common sense restrictions on gun control, and I have seen the media’s attention to and the public’s passion for the debate ebb and flow. What I see right now is a groundswell of support for reform — we must seize this opportunity to act now. And while the National Rifle Association (NRA) may be powerful, many of its members are willing to adopt reasonable safety measures, and the NRA leadership alone is no match for the power of the American people, the power of our voices working together.

There is no doubt that this will be hard, but it is nowhere near as difficult as doing nothing and seeing another family lose their child, or another child lose his or her parent to gun violence.

First things first, we need to reinstate the so-called Assault Weapons Ban. In 1994, Congress first passed this law, banning high-capacity magazines and certain assault weapons. The ban did not take away the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms, or prevent hunters and sportsman from continuing their traditions, but it limited the ease with which assault weapons find their way onto our streets. I pledge to push for immediately reinstating an improved Assault Weapons Ban that also restricts the size of ammunition feed devices.

Further, there is no reason we cannot agree to implement full background checks on all gun purchases. While the Brady Act directs federally licensed dealers to run background checks, those purchases made at gun shows, online, through newspaper ads, and more are not held to the same standard. According the Center for American Progress, 40 percent of firearm acquisitions are from individuals who are not licensed gun dealers and do not undergo any background checks.

States must do a better job reporting records to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). A report from Mayors Against Illegal Guns finds “major failure by 23 states in submitting mental health records to the system, with 17 states reporting fewer than 10 records and four submitting none at all.” And a conversation on the amount of violence our children are exposed to in the media should be on the table as well.

While I believe that these and other common sense reforms will keep our families safer, I know we need a more comprehensive approach. We need to continue to invest in our mental health care system and education system, and provide schools, families, and communities with the resources they need to treat and care for those who need help. Despite my and others’ opposition, Republicans in Congress continue to slash our investment in mental health care, as do many states across the country, with some arguing that it is easier for a person to obtain a gun than it is to receive treatment for mental health issues.

The task force being led by Vice President Biden, made up of Members of Congress and officials from Justice, Homeland Security, Health and Human Services, and Education, is intended to provide the kind of holistic approach that we need. While it is important to act in a thoughtful manner, we must not allow a timely and empathetic response to be side-tracked yet again by studies or reports. In the next few weeks, I will be working with the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, the Mayors Against Illegal Guns, and those affected by gun violence to urge the task force to move these common sense policies, while also seeking new ideas that might strengthen our effort to get more assault weapons off the street.

I recently read that 15 of the 25 worst mass shootings in the last 50 years took place in the United States, with Finland in second place with two. That ranking, the murder of 20 children, the attack on Congresswoman Giffords and her staff, and the widely unreported shooting of children in inner cities across this country, cannot be our legacy. I believe that lawmakers on both sides of the aisle can approach this issue with compassion and common sense ideas and pass restrictions that will leave this country safer for our children. The American people should stand for no less.

Sincerely,
Signature
John F. Tierney
Member of Congress

P.S. To connect with me on Facebook visit : www.facebook.com/CongressmanJohnTierney. You can also visit my website at Congressman John Tierney to learn more about my legislative initiatives and to subscribe to my periodic E-Alert updates.

Please do not reply directly to this email address -- this is an unattended mailbox.

From Sen James Welch:

Mr. Rev,

Thank you for your email. I plan to review the bills that were recently filed related to our current gun laws. I agree with you that we need to look at strengthening mental health. There are many sides to this issue and I want to hear all of them before I make any decisions.

I appreciate your insight on this matter and would like you to know that I will take your suggestions and concerns with me when voting on this important matter.

Sincerely,
Jim Welch

Translated...

Mr. Rev,

I don't give a shit about your opinions and I'm gonna vote to pass a law I don't understand. Also, I totally heart c0cks.

Sincerely,
Jim Welch

Any time I hear "common sense gun control" I know that a liberal anti is speaking and what they are proposing is anything but.

From my State Rep Matt Beaton:
Thanks for your email. Sorry for the late reply but I wanted to be sure to respond to you. As a responsible gun-owner myself, I am also troubled by the knee-jerk proposals that are being offered on both the Federal and State level in reaction to the horrific tragedy in Newtown, CT. I am a sportsman, LTC holder and gun owner and I could not agree with you more. Myself and a few colleagues have been leading the charge to have a civil conversation on these issues and will continue to encourage people to enforce our already incredibly strict gun laws and go after criminals, not further take away the rights of law abiding citizens as so described by the governor and some of my colleagues. Please rest assured that I will do all in my power to continue to advocate for our 2nd Amendment Rights. I plan to stay on top if it here in Massachusetts, be a part of the conversation and hopefully be a voice of reason to my colleagues in the House if and when we do take up the issue of gun control during this legislative session. Thanks again for getting in touch.

Sincerely,

Matthew A. Beaton
State Representative
11th Worcester

Response from Rep. Dwyer

I am writing in response to your email regarding your concerns with the Governor’s proposed gun control laws. Please forgive the lack of a personal response due to the fact that there have been so many inquiries about the gun control issue at my office. In order to keep with my office’s policy of responding in a timely manner, I am sending out this email to multiple constituents.

We need to address this issue in three ways; Enforcement, Mental Health parity, and Universal Background checks.

Enforcement deals with going after people who have illegal firearms. I have supported a proposal in the past, and look forward to in the future, that will create a special division in the State Police to go after those with illegal firearms. This division will work with local and state law enforcement, as well as any operations by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco (ATF) and ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement). We need to focus on those who are not law abiding citizens who causing violence with illegal firearms.

Mental health parity means we need to understand that mental health issues are not a character flaw, but a serious medical condition due to chemical imbalances. That being said, we need to focus on getting people with mental health issues the help they need rather than continuing to allow for the stigma of ignorance regarding what’s in their best interests. In doing so, we also must make sure that those with history of mental health issues are flagged during background checks.

The last point to address is universal background checks. Right now, background checks are not in place for gun shows or personal sale of a firearm. While I understand that this will create some inconvenience to those looking to purchase firearms through a gun show or from a ordinary citizen trying to sell their firearm, I strongly believe that a universal background check will create a much safer environment for the sale and transfer of firearms, while maintaining the right to bear arms.

With a strong and pointed focus on these three areas that need to be addressed, we will make reforms that are sorely needed while respecting the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] amendment. We cannot put restrictions in place that will only impede law abiding firearm owners when those who have illegal firearms are not adhering to our laws to begin with. Common sense solutions that enhance lawful and safe care of firearms, while focusing our efforts on those who abuse the right to bear arms is our best chance to cut down on gun violence and crime.

Respectfully,
Jim Dwyer

Mental health parity means we need to understand that mental health issues are not a character flaw, but a serious medical condition due to chemical imbalances. That being said, we need to focus on getting people with mental health issues the help they need rather than continuing to allow for the stigma of ignorance regarding what’s in their best interests. In doing so, we also must make sure that those with history of mental health issues are flagged during background checks.

This shows me that he is at least in part, favoring Linsky's Bill. What exactly is "Mental Health" issues and "flagged". That is utter bullshit. So I guess people with PTSD, OCD, anxiety etc. will be "flagged". Unacceptable.

Response from Rep Chris Markey and his article that was published by the "Standard Times':

DearConstituent,

First,I want to thank you for your letter. I read it, and I want to assure you that Iam a supporter of qualified citizens' rights to lawfully own firearms, be itfor sport or for protection.

I'veincluded text from a recent letter to the editor published in the StandardTimes (see below) which will help to further illustrate my position andhopefully signal the beginning of the larger, more important conversation onviolence in our society.

Ourcountry has a "violence problem" and, if we want safer schools andstreets, we need to address that problem first and foremost. As I statedin the letter, it is a conversation that I am willing to have, and I'm hopingthat all stakeholders approach it in the reasonable and deliberative manner inwhich I promise to. Easy solutions don't exist for complex problems, andmuch work needs to get done, but I feel the end results are too important; asafer America.

Again,thank you for your email.

With every best wish, I remain
Sincerely,

ChristopherM. Markey
StateRepresentative, Ninth Bristol District

Guest View: We must work together against violence
By CHRISMARKEY
Chris Markey is staterepresentative to the Ninth Bristol District.
December 24, 2012 12:00 AM
In the short time I have been in the Legislature, I have learnedone very important thing — we don't react hastily to problems, and that is agood thing. I believe the Founding Fathers intentionally designed ourrepresentative democracy in that fashion. They sought a legislative body thatwould deliberate, in depth, over the issues of the day, while a more nimble andagile executive branch would react to dangers and emergencies with immediacy.
In the wake of Newtown's massacre, we should expect a swift andsignificant response from our executive branch to provide safe schools andfunding to support the Newtown Community and the friends and families of thevictims. You should also demand from our legislative branch a deliberate, focused,practical, realistic and meaningful solution to the comprehensive problem ofviolence in our society.
Some say our society is as violent as it was in the early andmid-20th century. Some claim a substantial increase in violence and blameinadequate gun control, mental illness, bad parenting, video games, music, andmovies, and some blame the break-up of the American family. The sad part isthey all play a role, and that is why we need to change the way we handleviolence in America. The actions of Dec. 14 made me reflect as a father."Am I doing the right thing? Am I letting them watch the right movies?Should we get video games? Am I overreacting to certain conduct? Am Iover-analyzing my own actions?" I believe at some point after Newtown'stragedy, all parents have asked themselves similar questions.
With all that said, a deliberate discussion of this significantissue must include law enforcement, civil rights advocates, mental healthprofessionals, educators and parents. As we contemplate this, we must not seek"feel-good" solutions, or "politically expedient"solutions. This problem needs practical solutions from all the parties, and awillingness to compromise. The following are very general concepts we shouldconsider as we travel this pathway to peace.
We need to have consistent licensing laws throughout thiscountry, which balance an individual's right to bear arms and the protection ofthe innocent public. In addition, we should review sale loopholes for "gunshows" and "private sales." These are not simple solutions, norwill they be well received. In addition, we need to have our law enforcementofficials at all levels to focus attention on the illegal trafficking offirearms, to stop daily street violence. While it is a difficult and costly task,we need to keep dangerous weapons out of the hands of dangerous, irresponsibleand unstable people.
Law enforcement should be willing to sacrifice their licensingauthority in order for more comprehensive investigations to persons seeking alicense to carry a firearm. The removal of local departments from thisadministrative responsibility could allow consistency in licensing and wouldallow officers to work the streets rather than behind a desk. Obviously, localpolice departments would be involved in the investigations, but not to theextent they currently are involved. In some towns, through no fault of theirown, it can take five to six months for a qualified responsible person toobtain a license to carry. For the responsible and qualified individual, thatis too long.
Additionally, to provide further safeguards, the licensingauthority should know about a person's mental health history from a reliableindependent source. Self-reporting is not an adequate methodology. We need toallow the licensing authority access to mental health institutions andtherapists to determine who has been committed to facilities and who isundergoing significant mental health therapy. Once again, a balanced approachwould allow mental health therapists to provide information withoutcompromising their treatment.
Civil rights advocates and gun right advocates should be willingto discuss these matters, and place confidentiality requirements on thelicensing authority. I believe there is a balance between the individual rightsof people and the need to protect society. Again, a thoughtful and deliberatediscussion can resolve those concerns.
Educators don't need guns in their classrooms. They need parentsupport, and parents need a system that supports them. In a free society with asocioeconomically diverse population, we must have parents who assist ineducating not just their own children, but others. We also need an educationsystem that, from the top to the bottom, views its students as their childrenand not just a number, statistic or a percentile.
Some will see this short perfunctory essay and say "nice... but he provided no answers." Others will say "nice ... but therewill never be a violence-free America," and some may even say "nice... but Markey is just a politician trying to push an agenda." To that, Ican only say I will put my heart and soul into helping us find a comprehensiveproblem to this complex problem; and this is the beginning of a seriousdiscussion.
Over the next several months, we in the Legislature will surelyhave a few people seeking "political gain" from this tragedy, but wemust not let political expedience be the answer. There will be gun advocateswho say "guns don't kill people, people kill people." That is plainignorant. Then there will be people who say there should be no guns in thisworld. Such a worldview is equally naive. Guns are needed in our societybecause true evil does exist. There will be civil rights/privacy rightsadvocates who say "the rights of the individuals are sacred and shouldnever be disturbed." Such righteousness is misplaced, and showsobliviousness to our current surroundings. Finally, there will be mental healthexperts who will express concerns of interference with their successfultreatment. All said, when we look at these objections respectively in a vacuumthey have some legitimacy, but when you view them in with the constellation ofour society, something must give. We need to stop the violence, be it done byguns, knives or fists.
Ultimately, the answer will not come solely from the legislatureor the executive, or any branch of government. The answer is going to come fromall of us, putting aside our preconceived notions and approaching the problemin a thoughtful and reasonable fashion. We must be courageous. We must becompassionate. We must be vocal, vigilant and open-minded. Most importantly, wemust work together. To that end, I look forward to hearing from you, and Ipromise to put my best efforts toward this endeavor.

From State Rep. Paul Mark

Dear Mr.

Thank you for your advocacy.

As a GOAL endorsed legislator, I fully intend to support the 2nd Amendment and ensure that law abiding gun owners are included in the discussion that the Governor has started. This will be a long process and it is important that we reach out to our friends and relatives in the eastern part of the state and ask them to contact their representatives and senators as well.

Contact me anytime with questions or suggestions.

Sincerely,

Paul Mark

State Representative
Second Berkshire District

Representing 16 Communities in Berkshire and Franklin Counties.
Massachusetts State House

Room 473F

Thanks for your email. Sorry for the late reply but I wanted to be sure to respond to you. As a responsible gun-owner myself, I am troubled by the knee-jerk proposals that are being offered on both the Federal and State level in reaction to the horrific tragedy in Newtown, CT. I am a sportsman, LTC holder and gun owner and I could not agree with you more. Myself and a few colleagues have been leading the charge to have a civil conversation on these issues and will continue to encourage people to enforce our already incredibly strict gun laws and go after criminals, not further take away the rights of law abiding citizens as so described by the governor and some of my colleagues. Please rest assured that I will do all in my power to continue to advocate for our 2nd Amendment Rights. I plan to stay on top if it here in Massachusetts, be a part of the conversation and hopefully be a voice of reason to my colleagues in the House if and when we do take up the issue of gun control during this legislative session. Thanks again for getting in touch.

Sincerely,

Matthew A. Beaton
State Representative
11th Worcester

Here is the latest reply for one of my many random letters I sent out, this one from Kathrine Clark

Dear Steve,

Thank you for contacting me about potential firearm legislation in the new legislative session. I appreciate the time you took to share your concerns.

Few tragedies in our nation's history have ever been both as horrifying as the shooting at Sandy Hook, and it is imperative that we address the causes of this troubling incident. That does not mean, however, that we should disregard the rights of responsible gun owners. Any legislation that I support will represent a reasonable, measured approach to the issues that have been highlighted by recent mass shootings. There are a number of proposals being discussed currently and, as the legislative session begins, I will consider them all very carefully with your concerns in mind.

Again, thank you for writing to me about this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact my office again with any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Katherine Clark

State Senator

5th Middlesex

Contacted these two elected officials a week ago by email and no response. I will call both on Friday.
Other folks need to email/call these guys too to keep the pressure on.

Tackey Chan
Representative
D Quincy
State House
Room 236
Boston, MA 02133
Phone: 617-722-2430
Fax: 617-626-0146
Email:[email protected]

John F. Keenan
Senator
D Quincy
State House
Room 413B
Boston, MA 02133
Phone: 617-722-1494
Fax: 617-722-1055

Representative Marc Lombardo is on our side, folks. I wrote to him a couple weeks ago, and just got this back today. Whoo!

Dear Dave

Thank you for taking time to write to me on such an important topic. I am a strong believer in Article 17, Part One of the Massachusetts Constitution, and the 2nd Amendment of the United States Bill of Rights, which gives citizens the right to bear arms. Much of the legislation filed by the Governor and Representative Linsky (D-Natick) is overreaching, in my opinion and will hurt law abiding firearm owners and does nothing to keep the public safe.

The issue of gun control is one that I take extremely serious. I will not support legislation that is "feel good" legislation or any proposal borne out of emotion. Massachusetts’ gun laws are already the strictest in the country. I’m in the process of requesting information about the actual enforcement of existing laws, such as the Bartley-Fox Law, to determine whether the laws are being enforced as intended. I believe if the existing laws aren’t being enforced it would be foolish and dangerous to take on any further laws that may do little except take away rights of our citizens. I will take a common sense approach to the important issue at hand.

Sincerely,
Marc

Marc T. Lombardo
State Representative
22nd Middlesex District
Town of Billerica

I got an email back from Brian Tarr. Same one that others have posted. Credit where credit is due: so far he is the only person who has responded with something better than a canned auto-response. Yes, it was probably a canned response, but it wasn't an auto-response. And his response seems to be non-committal, but basically pro-2A. (Subject to interpretation and skepticism.)

Still waiting on Warren, Kerry, Patrick, Sannicandro, and Spilka.

It's pretty clear to me that Massachusetts does not have a representative government. They don't seem to GAF who you are, what you think, etc.

Contacted these two elected officials a week ago by email and no response. I will call both on Friday.
Other folks need to email/call these guys too to keep the pressure on.

Tackey Chan
Representative
D Quincy
State House
Room 236
Boston, MA 02133
Phone: 617-722-2430
Fax: 617-626-0146

John F. Keenan
Senator
D Quincy
State House
Room 413B
Boston, MA 02133
Phone: 617-722-1494
Fax: 617-722-1055

Chan is on the fence, we spoke for about 20 min. He will probably sway with whatever group contacts him more. BTW he has NO CLUE about firearms.

Keenan is a hard one to figure out. I WOULD say he is still leaning opposed, her aide has told me many times she is getting swamped with pro-gun people. I just dont trust him. He actually called me back and left me a voicemail and I have been trying to actually get him on the phone. Everyone, in his district at least, needs to call this guy and keep him honest.

My state Rep George Peterson is great. One of the best 2A politicians in the Commonwealth. State Senator Michael O. Moore on the other hand, ignored my well written and directly pointed email.

My state Rep George Peterson is great. One of the best 2A politicians in the Commonwealth. State Senator Michael O. Moore on the other hand, ignored my well written and directly pointed email.

Peterson is fantastic and he does have some pull being the Asst. Minority Leader. Give Mr. Moore a call or 10.

Representative Marc Lombardo is on our side, folks. I wrote to him a couple weeks ago, and just got this back today. Whoo!

Dear Dave

Thank you for taking time to write to me on such an important topic. I am a strong believer in Article 17, Part One of the Massachusetts Constitution, and the 2nd Amendment of the United States Bill of Rights, which gives citizens the right to bear arms. Much of the legislation filed by the Governor and Representative Linsky (D-Natick) is overreaching, in my opinion and will hurt law abiding firearm owners and does nothing to keep the public safe.

The issue of gun control is one that I take extremely serious. I will not support legislation that is "feel good" legislation or any proposal borne out of emotion. Massachusetts’ gun laws are already the strictest in the country. I’m in the process of requesting information about the actual enforcement of existing laws, such as the Bartley-Fox Law, to determine whether the laws are being enforced as intended. I believe if the existing laws aren’t being enforced it would be foolish and dangerous to take on any further laws that may do little except take away rights of our citizens. I will take a common sense approach to the important issue at hand.

Sincerely,
Marc

Marc T. Lombardo
State Representative
22nd Middlesex District
Town of Billerica

Same response I received today.

most of them are dingbdongs i cant get acresponse from anyone but smitty pinatelli says he has our back. and the bitch farley-bouvier says shes all for destroying our rights

- - - Updated - - -

most of them are dingbdongs i cant get acresponse from anyone but smitty pinatelli says he has our back. and the bitch farley-bouvier says shes all for destroying our rights

- - - Updated - - -

Any word from DeLeo? The speaker of the house holds the real power in this state.

His Aide just wrote down my thoughts, she wouldn't give me anything on terms of where he stands. I also sent him a letter and emails. No emails back, no phone call back. You're right though, he has a great deal of power in the legislature. Everyone, especially his constituents, need to get on him and Senate President Murray.

Also, the Majority Leader, Rep. Ronald Mariano
P 617.722.2300
F617.722.2750
[email protected]

Response from Senator James Eldridge

Dear Constituent,

Thank you for emailing my office about the issue of gun control and related legislation filed this session. I appreciate your concerns and suggestions.

I am currently reviewing the various gun control bills, including those filed by Governor Patrick, Representative David Linsky and others. I do believe it is important to strengthen our gun laws, and I support closing gun show and private gun sales loopholes, including expanding background checks of gun license applicants, and better enforcing our current gun safety laws in seeking to ensure public safety.

I expect that all of the bills related to guns will be referred to committee in the next month or so, after which there will be a public hearing on every bill.

Please expect to hear from my office once I have had an opportunity to give thoughtful review to the various bill proposals addressing the important issue of gun violence. I will keep your thoughts and concerns in mind as I consider this important issue.

Very truly yours,

Jamie Eldridge
State Senator
Middlesex Worcester District

State House, Room 413A
Boston, MA 02133-1054

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 617-722-1120
Fax: 617-722-1089

Last edited:
From my Senator. My previous email pointed out legal gun owners are not the bad guys and I asked her why are politicians always trying to portray us as the bad guys.
Hi Bob,

Thanks again for contacting me. I do not think any gun owners are “bad guys” as I know many friends and constituents own guns and take proper safety precautions in terms of storage and do not break any laws. I have worked with the Gun Owners Action League on many issues in the past and have attended many of their events.

I understand that many responsible gun owners have concerns about the legislation proposed. Bills that would limit purchases among other restrictions still need to be vetted by both the House of Representatives and the Senate and voted upon so these provisions may change many times before I have a chance to vote on the language. I am interested in working with gun owners on a bill that is not overly prohibitive and working with my colleagues for increased access to mental health services.

I appreciate hearing from constituents and I hope we can maintain an open dialogue as we work on these bills.

Respectfully,

Jennifer L. Flanagan
State Senator
Worcester & Middlesex District

Spoke at length with Senator Mike Rush today. Senator Rush is a military guy and supports 2A, the conversation was fantastic. It was great to talk to a State Senator who not only listened, but actively engaged in conversation about this issue. I only wish there were more like him.

Last edited:
I believe Brownsberger co-sponsored Linsky's bill. I think you can put him in the in favor of gun control column. I think Linsky only got 2 or three co-sponsors for his bill in the Senate. 1 was Brownsberger, the other was Chang-Diaz. The 3rd was Katherine Clark, Clark is on several committees so if you live in her district keep calling.

Last edited:
Clark co-sponsored that POS Linsky's bill?

I got the same email response from her that sschevy posted, in which she stated

"That does not mean, however, that we should disregard the rights of responsible gun owners. Any legislation that I support will represent a reasonable, measured approach to the issues that have been highlighted by recent mass shootings."

What a bold faced liar. She's getting another email and letter from me.

Back
Top Bottom