Review: Goal Zero Lighthouse 400 Lantern

CRO_Electronics_Emergency_Charger_Goal_Zero_Lantern_06-14.jpg

Let me start off by stating that I despise Goal Zero. Their solar panels and battery banks are overpriced for what you get. They prey on the electrical ignorance of the general population.

I live off the grid and have recently begun exploring methods of using distributed power rather than central battery banks fed by PV panels. With prices of high energy density batteries falling into a reasonable range, many things you would not expect are now being battery powered. I am doing some real life testing on this topic...maybe for another book in my Tiny House Engineers Notebook series.

My need was for a small desk lamp to use next to my ham radio/laptop and in other places around my house. With a few extra points on my Cabelas club card, and their generous return policy, I took a shot on this model. The thing that turned me on about this light is the ability to manage how much power/light you are using. It has a knob that adjusts the lamp brightness from very dim to very bright (very similar to an oil lamp). Depending on which direction you turn the knob, you either light up both sides or just one. This feature allows you to get between 2.5 and 48 hours of runtime from a single charge.

The internal battery is 4.4 amp hours (wish it were more) which will charge a cell phone or other doodads thru the USB jack on the front of the unit. Charging the unit is actually very nice...the charge cord is wrapped around the device and snaps into a little recess. Not having to carry around a separate charge cord is a great feature. Plugging the lamp into a USB plug for 5 hours brings it up to full charge. Some little blue lights on the front provide a nice state of charge indicator.

The killer feature about this lantern is its built in hand crank. Cranking for 60 seconds at a moderate pace produced just over 9 minutes of run time with one side set at low. The crank seems sturdy enough. With the return policy available to me, I abused it quite a bit and it seems like something that will hold up to a few camping trips at least. In earlier versions the hand crank was a concern, they seem to have fixed whatever issues they had.

Other features include a red strobe on top, hook on top to hang the thing. The legs fold in and out for easy packing. Its not super small or lightweight for serious campers but it does fold down into something manageable. Overall the construction seems real sturdy for a Chinese made piece of junk. For $79 its something I can recommend to others. Goal Zero often blows out refurb units...anything less than $79 would be a real bargain IMO.

Amazon link here

Good review

Let me start off by stating that I despise Goal Zero. Their solar panels and battery banks are overpriced for what you get. They prey on the electrical ignorance of the general population.
This can be said for a lot of products. All of the GOAL Zero battery products are easy for the regular enduser to use. Could I take a agm battery and add usb charging ports and make it cheaper? Yeah I could. Would it be as clean and nicely packaged as GZ? Nope, not even close.

I used the hanging led lights inside my ice fishing house. They worked great, for one use. They failed to work the next time I plugged them in.

8cca7cb6-f061-4433-8068-6b53e78d8563

[video]https://youtu.be/xLM_wFpUtXA[/video]

O‘SUN NOMAD

Considered the most advanced multifunctional LED solar portable light system made by Belgian designer Alain Gilles, the O’Sun Nomad is quite similar to a traditional lamp. It is ideal to be used during emergency situations like natural and humanitarian disasters.
DESIGN
This solar camping lantern boasts the flexibility of a rechargeable solar lamp, its contemporary Belgian design and Swiss engineering and its ecological dimension. It is also made from high-quality, durable and rainproof IP55 material that can either be charged with a wall plug-in, in a car or with a separate solar panel.

FEATURES
This camping must-have can be charged through its solar panel, home adaptor or a car charger. Among its other notable features are:
5-Watt Solar Panel – Through its separate 5-watt solar panel, its battery can be fully charged in six hours. On solar charge mode, however, the minimum time for charging varies on the intensity of sunlight.
LED Light – The device also has 12 LED lights with a total LED power of 2.3 watts. For its Lumens, it has a LED power of 250 lm (100 percent).
Shock Absorption and Adherence Ring, and Two Batteries – Among its many features are its shock absorption and adherence ring, its two Lithium-ion batteries.
Lighting Mode and 1-Touch Button Function – This device also boasts its three brightening settings — 100 percent, 50 percent and 15 percent, as well as its 1-light touch button for all functions.

Click here for more information about solar lanterns review.

Back
Top Bottom