Revolver finish, Stainless vs Blued

Would anyone mind weighing in on the pros/cons of each? I'm thinking stainless as more durable and easier to maintain and have heard blued is higher maintenence but I like it[thinking]
Thank you

fanocool, I think you hit it right on the head.

To me, the blue guns are more beautiful. The stainless guns are more durable for carry especially, and in the field. You don't have to worry about little scratches building up over time destroying your finish, because you can just buff it out for the most part.

I have "collector guns and working guns." My working guns are stainless or lightweight alloys, and may have black hard-cote synthetic coatings instead of bluing. I don't care if they lose color on the muzzle or the grip. I expect that.

My collector guns are blue steel or Nickle. I use them and shoot them, just not quite so hard. They may ride in a holster on occasion, but their home is usually a cushioned case.

Cleaned and polished with love and some FLITZ Wax or good carnuba car wax, the blue guns have a depth and life that I don't find in the stainless guns.

My stainless carry guns are beautiful in their own way. I don't have to worry about cosmetic wear. I carry them holstered, pocketed or tucked in Mexican style with a clip. They continue to do their job. I wouldn't treat my 50-100 year old Smiths like that.

In long guns, almost the same thing. My special rifles and shotguns are the old ones passed on from grandfathers, uncles and my Dad as well as some friends who are gone now.

They all live on in my hands with the 1915 Savage lever gun, the Browning 5 autoloader and numerous old .22s.

I've used Stainless guns like the Henry Boys Rifle (Should be called Henry YOUTH rifle) to train many grandchildren, nieces and nephews. Synthetic stock and bead blast finish, they are tougher than nails.

I'm an old fart though, so maybe it's just me. I don't think so though, I've seen lots of people look at a blued gun as gasp at how pretty it is. I don't see that so much when people show their stainless guns, though there are SOME exceptions.

Welcome to our forum.

Bill

fanocool,

My collector guns are blue steel or Nickle. I use them and shoot them, just not quite so hard. They may ride in a holster on occasion, but their home is usually a cushioned case.

Bill

jkelly, that's what I said.... nickle is nice!!!

respectfully,

depicts [wink]

The other's have pretty well covered the beauty vs function aspects of this.

There is another issue as well, but it's a bit more controversial. There are estimates floating around that the average armed person will only end up shooting in about one out of every fourteen confrontations - in the other thirteen, the mere sight of the gun will cause the situation to de-escalate.

Someone I respect and have trained with, Massad Ayoob, has suggested that while military commandos and police swat people need black guns, the average armed civilian is much better served by a shiny silver carry gun, because it will be more highly visible if he has to pull it on someone, and this is a good thing.

I suspect that not everyone here is going to agree with this.

Personally, while I don't DISAGREE with Mas about this, I'm currently carrying a (dull black) Glock. Other issues - shootability, reliability, outweigh the shiny part. Still if they MADE a shiny Glock, I might follow Mas's advice and get the bright, shiny one.

Regards
John

If I'm buying a new gun, I prefer stainless. It's easier to clean (and you have more cleaning options). With that said, I won't not buy a blued or nickeled gun.

I agree that Depicts gave a very good reply. There was a time when stainless guns were problematical. With auto pistols there was galling between the frame and slide, those problems have been eliminated for a long time. When the first S&W Model 66 (stainless model of the Model 19 Combat Magnum) there were problems of the guns themselves getting too hot and actually freezing up due to the alloy used. These problems have been fixed for a long time.

Blued guns will, if cared for properly, give good service and the finish will last for a long time, but the key is cared for properly. Stainless steel will rust under certain conditions, but for the most part is far more rust resistant.

Colt has a bright stainless finish that rivals nickel.

I also am familiar with Mas Ayoob's comment on why civilians should have nickel or stainless guns, and from my perspective it is a persuasive argument.

Mark L.

Last edited:
As far as Mas' advice on a silver gun, I find with pocket carry, if the edge of my pocket "puckers" a bit, it's much harder to see and notice a dull black grip in my pocket than a Silver grip frame..

Last edited:
What does Ayoob say about the color of your gun?

I personally don't think it matters shit. If I pull it out it ain't for scaring or show and tell.

That said, this thread is worthless without pictures so I'll go first.

Nickel Model 29:
CZEZmGFC1pDXoJwTPH0zffL1jGu7bbha0300.jpg

Blued Model 29:
HmwLOHcWNJFfH2fQznAtc9D3j6SZzPES0300.jpg

Stainless Model 65:
U71HKvWpHEMTy+7yiOCzvqNak8D5vXgm0300.jpg

Of all three, nickel is the most pimptastic, blued is the classiest, and stainless is the most practical.

I agree...love them all, but the stainless (IMO) is the most durable for cosmetics. Have an old 70's vintage Model 19 that started out as a 6" and was factory cut and customized to a 3 1/4" (favor of a friend). Bluing is mostly gone due to a lot of carrying/rubbing/cleaning, but it is still a favorite. The same piece in stainless would not be showing the same wear, carbon buildup on the cylinder face could easily be done away with by using something like a lead-away cloth, and the piece could be kept looking like new despite wear and usage. Grin, guess its only a personal preference of the user. We should probably get the same piece in all three variations when possible. [rofl]

Out of all my hand guns only 2 are blued,a Ruger Bisley in45 Colt and a Walther PP in 32 auto. As nice as blue is I prefer stainless when possible.

Also, things to worry about with blued guns for carry. If you carry inside the pants, you have to worry about finish deterioration due to the oils and salts in your skin. But, if you ever were to be reaching for something, and you show...it won't catch the eyes from others as must as the glint of something shiny.

depicts, you have a fine collection of revolvers. Thank you for your advice AND the pictures. I went with blue, used but in good shape and I'm now just marveling at it's beauty AFTER some polishing! [grin]

Whoa!! Sorry, I got distracted by the 36's. I'm partial to blue. It just plain old looks classy.

plinker, I don't want to be a Spelling nazi, but when you say 36's your are incorrect.

Not the spelling or punctuation though,, it's about the pictured guns.

There is only 1 Model 36 total in all those pictures.
Jose posted big bore stuff, mine are are little guns. The one Mod 36 is in the largest group photo at the very bottom with rosewood grips. The other guns are 2 .32HE caliber I frames, 2 J frame mod 34, cal .22, 1 pre-Model 34 called 22/32 Kit gun, Model 1953. Off on the right is a Model 442 .38, and peaking out from the gun rug in the very back, is the grip frame of a model 19-4. The single views of the Model 34 2" Nickel and two Model 34 4", one a Pinto, the other Nickel. No stainless in any of my pics, and only I alloy gun.

[grin] Bill

Last edited:
I've got a blued Ruger GP-100 I noticed around the barrel the blue finish is showing some wear, is there a way to clean blued finish that will prevent this? I have been using Hopes 9 and Rem oil. Maybe this is not the correct combination, any suggestions would be great on how to prevent this wear or properly clean. Thanks!

For a show gun, nickel all the way. I would even get a stainless and polish it. I just like the shiny finish. I also think it holds up better than coated guns.

I polished the slide on my 229 and it looks so much better IMO.

Before
Sig229R.jpg

After
Sig2.jpg

For a show gun, nickel all the way. I would even get a stainless and polish it. I just like the shiny finish. I also think it holds up better than coated guns.

I polished the slide on my 229 and it looks so much better IMO.

Very nice, I like the two tone look.

I agree...love them all, but the stainless (IMO) is the most durable for cosmetics.
If you're talking about semi autos, a high quality blued steel will resist wear and stay tighter longer than stainless - especially if you get a gun made with 4340 rather than one of the other carbon steels like 4140. The downside is that it can rust. When I'm offered the choice of blued and stainless in a 1911, I generally go for the blued one (even when I can get the stainless for the same price as blued).

Back
Top Bottom