Revolver popularity increase

I think it has to do with the increase in CCW permits, and people realizing that carrying SOMETHING is better than nothing. The smaller wheel guns fill a niche for light weight, comfortable and easily concealed weapons that still pack a decent punch.

I've been looking for one for everyday carry down here in FL where the climate doesn't allow for concealment garments that can easily hide full size pistols like the Northeast often does.

Naw, its them pretty pink ones that brought on the resurgance of the wheelgun. Or maybe the threat of someday banning semi-autos!

I started with semi-autos for carry guns, & they're fine, but I have a special love for revolvers. I can't get enough of wheelguns! In my eyes, they're right up there with hand made cowboy boots.[bow]

It still shoots really well. I had it at the Mansfield shoot yesterday tearing up clays.

I'm hoping to pick up mine this week from gunsmith #1, then it's off to gunsmith #2 who is going to do some work on the internals and refinish the entire firearm. Can't wait!

With all the upgrades(metalurgical, size, frames, calibers) I'd rather a "good revolver" than spraying and praying a 33 rnd 9mm glock. Extra is better to a point. Although I'd like one!

I think it has to do with the increase in CCW permits, and people realizing that carrying SOMETHING is better than nothing. The smaller wheel guns fill a niche for light weight, comfortable and easily concealed weapons that still pack a decent punch.

Agreed. For the past year gunshops haven't been able to keep much of anything in stock. Everyone's worried about new gun ban legislation, so they're going out and buying "a gun" or "a pistol" which isn't always the most well thought out of endeavors.

I've been looking for one for everyday carry down here in FL where the climate doesn't allow for concealment garments that can easily hide full size pistols like the Northeast often does.

I've been carrying a subcompact Glock almost exclusively since I arrived down here, and it's working great for me. [grin] With any gun to be concealed, a quality belt and holster are key, and then you're own dressing style...but you probably know all of this.

Semi-autos become "necessary" for all cops after the Miami Vice tv show. Revolvers were the perfect weapon before that stupid show and they still are today.
They are easy to train with, easy to maintain and virtually idiot proof.
Long live the six gun!

Are you sure that they didn't become necessary after the CHP Newhall shootout, or SC Trooper Mark Coates shootout, or the attempted assassination of Truman shootout, or the Peggy Parks shootout (it was well documented on videotape from the PD range how difficult it was for her to fire her revolver accurately)...

Revolvers are useful, but "perfect" is a little generalized.

More like after the Great Miami Shoot-Out, and the choice of wonder-nines as the Weapon Of Choice by the armed criminal class.

As far as being "easy to train with, easy to maintain and virtually idiot proof," is that not the great claim to fame of Teutonic Tupperware? [wink]

Yeah, except revolvers don't suffer from broken, plastic guide rods.

Looks like the deceased officers were failed by training , not hardware.

A CHP trooper died while reloading in Newhall, Coates had JHP failures but if he had more than 1 bullet left in his gun he probably wouldn't have had to break and run, and the Secret Service with Truman, a big ole book was written about that one. [grin]

My only point is that like any gun (or other tool), they have pluses and minuses.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by this, but I just don't get it. I shoot revolvers with my left hand often. What is the big deal?

I personally bought a wheel gun when I knew I was going to have surgery on my right shoulder. I wanted something I could draw from either side and I only had RH holsters. Was it an excuse just to buy a wheel gun? Maybe. Am I complaining? Not the slightest. You'll need 2 hands to reload a wheel gun anyhow so it makes absolutely no difference that it's not made for lefties. It won't spit shells in your face and reloading is probably the only time one would "need" to grab a gun with both hands.

Well I am 17 and my first pistol, and still the only one I really shoot besides a sig .22 was a smith and wesson model 37 airweight. love that gun. Its got a lot of use out of it so when I get my ltc in a few years I will be getting the 642.

You'll need 2 hands to reload a wheel gun anyhow so it makes absolutely no difference that it's not made for lefties. It won't spit shells in your face and reloading is probably the only time one would "need" to grab a gun with both hands.

You should sign up for one of Dave DeBettencourt's Snub Pistol classes through GOAL. He'll teach you to load revolvers one-handed while you run. I didn't think it could be done.

Get some more training!![wink]

You should sign up for one of Dave DeBettencourt's Snub Pistol classes through GOAL. He'll teach you to load revolvers one-handed while you run. I didn't think it could be done.

Get some more training!![wink]

Could he teach me to hit my targets and not look like I was having a seizure while shooting? I love my 642 but I can only reasonably use it at close range, in other words, 25 feet or so.

Revovlers work. A friend at my range says it well, with a revolver, "You pull the trigger, it goes bang." No failures to feed, no failures to eject, nothing like it. Sure, I may be limited to 5 or 6 rounds, but you can be all but certain that those rounds will fire. You can count or bet your life on them.

I feel more than adequately armed with a six shot revolver. I prefer magnums. If you only have six, make them the most powerful six you can get.

I'll take six .357 Magnum 125 grain semi jacketed hollow points over eight of anything made in .45 ACP.

I feel more than adequately armed with a six shot revolver. I prefer magnums. If you only have six, make them the most powerful six you can get.

I'll take six .357 Magnum 125 grain semi jacketed hollow points over eight of anything made in .45 ACP.

+1!

Semi autos are machines...

Wheelguns have soul..
?? I'd venture to guess that there are a LOT of 1911 owners who'd disagree with you on that. (And yes, I own both... I even own Combat Tupperware. Which, as you said, has no soul.)

I don't want to get hit with ANY of the above!!

That said, there's a 2.5" Model 19 on my hip right now with the exact load you mention. [smile]

NOT True!
Sam Colt was a lefty.
The SAA is made for lefties, otherwise the loading gate and ejector rod would be on the other side.

Sam Colt was long dead before the SAA was even designed. He would never have gone for it; he hated topstraps.

The SAA works for both; swing-outs only for right-handers.

Could he teach me to hit my targets and not look like I was having a seizure while shooting? I love my 642 but I can only reasonably use it at close range, in other words, 25 feet or so.

Yes. He will have you hitting targets at 50 yards.

Yes, I'm serious.

It's WELL worth the investment.

Back
Top Bottom