Rifle/Scope/Caliber for 100/200/300 yds?

Viper22

NES Member
As the title says, I'm looking to find a rifle, caliber and scope suitable for target shooting at 100, 200 and 300 yards. I'm leaning toward a newer bolt action rifle, something along the lines of a Savage or Howa.....nothing that will break the bank, but something that will perform.

Mainly, what caliber is the most cost efficient/best performing caliber?

Thanks.

Savage model 12, in 223, with one of SWFAs SuperSniper 10x scopes.

Oh, wait, that's what I have.

[wink]

Savage is an easy rifle to work on, and affordable. 223 is a nice, low recoil, flat shooting cartridge that's available everywhere and has lots of component choices if you reload. The SS scope is a very good fixed power - getting an equal quality variable will cost more. For a variable, Bushnell 3200 or 4200, Nikon Monarchs are nice scopes.

The 204 Ruger cartridge looks interesting, too, but isn't as widely available as 223 ammunition.

My next bolt gun will be a 12BVSS Savage in .223, probably with either a Nikon or Leupold. Short money and the 1x9 twist will carry a 69 grn. bullet out to 300 yds. .223 is a good round for target work and is cheap to reload.
I've seen a few out on the line at the Eastern Mass Rifle Matches and they shoot very well.
Don't skimp on the glass if you can avoid it. You'll be happier in the long run.

Savage model 12, in 223, with one of SWFAs SuperSniper 10x scopes.

Oh, wait, that's what I have.

[wink]

Savage is an easy rifle to work on, and affordable. 223 is a nice, low recoil, flat shooting cartridge that's available everywhere and has lots of component choices if you reload. The SS scope is a very good fixed power - getting an equal quality variable will cost more. For a variable, Bushnell 3200 or 4200, Nikon Monarchs are nice scopes.

The 204 Ruger cartridge looks interesting, too, but isn't as widely available as 223 ammunition.

Completely agree..except don't forget the 308 [wink] I have 10 FLPs in 223 and 308. If your not gonna reload however a day at the range with factory 308 ammo might leave you a little sore...but that's what they have Advil for.[grin]

My next bolt gun will be a 12BVSS Savage in .223, probably with either a Nikon or Leupold. Short money and the 1x9 twist will carry a 69 grn. bullet out to 300 yds. .223 is a good round for target work and is cheap to reload.
I've seen a few out on the line at the Eastern Mass Rifle Matches and they shoot very well.
Don't skimp on the glass if you can avoid it. You'll be happier in the long run.

If you want to shoot 600 yards, you may want a faster twist, like 1:8 or 1:7. That will work well with 77 grain bullets. It will also shoot the 69.

Howa 1500 HB .308. I have a M&P model. Throat is a little longer than a 'Normal" .308. Ragged hole at 100, less than an inch at 300 w/ 5 shot groups. Great rifle!!!. jp

I had a chance not to long ago to buy a Howa, the only reason I didn't is because the stock was set up for a right handed shooter. It was a sweet rifle.

I have a browning A-bolt II medallion in .300 mag with the BOSS on it that I bought for Deer hunting in Saskachewan where 300+ yard shots were very possible at very large deer. She is loud but does not hurt at all (except in the wallet). I have it topped with a Simmons Aetech 2.5-10. Much of their stuff is not great but the Aetechs were actually quite good scopes for the money. I do not consider myself an accomplished shooter by any means but I could hold a 3 inch group at 300 yards on a reasonably calm day off the bench.

I have a browning A-bolt II medallion in .300 mag with the BOSS on it that I bought for Deer hunting in Saskachewan where 300+ yard shots were very possible at very large deer. She is loud but does not hurt at all (except in the wallet). I have it topped with a Simmons Aetech 2.5-10. Much of their stuff is not great but the Aetechs were actually quite good scopes for the money. I do not consider myself an accomplished shooter by any means but I could hold a 3 inch group at 300 yards on a reasonably calm day off the bench.

Real nice rifle!! Your correct about the scope, pretty good. I use a Savage 110 Sierra lite 7mm Rem Mag topped w/ a Weaver V10 for the same purpose. 500 yard killer. jp
Top in pic, howa on bottom.
IM000266.jpg

Back
Top Bottom