Rifle transfer has to go FFL to FFL ??

I just sold a rifle (an Uzi with a 16" barrel) - and it's going to North Carolina.

In the past I've sold some rifles (Garands, FNCs, etc) - and (thought ) I was able to ship them direct to the out-of-state FFL that was going to do the final transfer to the new owner.

In this case - the guy I sold it to is saying all the FFLs he's contacted down there - are claiming that the transfer has to go FFL to FFL - meaning I have to have an FFL up here ship it to the FFL down there?

Did this change? Because , I seem to remember shipping direct to an FFL before - although it's been a few years.

I know pistols have to go FFL to FFL when going state to state. I didn't think rifles had the same rules.

Thanks - I just forwarded that to the guy I sold the rifle to. He's apparently getting told by multiple FFLs down there - that transfers MUST go FFL to FFL. Not sure why they'd do that - other than not wanting to deal with individuals for some reason. A lot of people really suck at properly handling paperwork I suppose.

You've provided him with the cite, which is more than you need to do. You've been completely responsible in this. At this point, if he still insists on you unnecessarily shipping through an FFL, let him know he can pay the extra freight.

Some FFLs won’t receive from non-licensees. It’s not a new thing. The few times I’ve shipped out of state I’ve learned to sort this out beforehand. Its annoying but presumably there’s some “reason” for it.

You've provided him with the cite, which is more than you need to do. You've been completely responsible in this. At this point, if he still insists on you unnecessarily shipping through an FFL, let him know he can pay the extra freight.
I came here to post this.

OP, don't make it your problem. Just have him pay whatever the local FFL charges and call it a day.

You can't fix stupid.

Also I've been told by FFLs that some individuals ship without including a copy of proper ID for FFL's bound book.

The screwed up thing is that I already talked to the FFL that the buyer wanted to use - and the 1st guy I talked to told me that I needed to provide them with my license info in order to make the transfer. I said "no problem, I have a MA Class A firearms license - I can provide both that and my driver's license info to you when I ship the firearm". The guy at the FFL said " send me an email with your basic info - and I'll get a copy of the FFL out to you so you can ship it".

That was last week. I've been away for the last three days - and figured they were maybe sending something in the mail (he seemed hesitant about sending stuff over email) - and I get back and there's nothing. Meanwhile the buyer had pinged me about status - and I told him they didn't respond. So I called the FFL again - and this time the guy is like " we don't accept transfers from individuals - FFL only".

So now I'm thinking they're just a typical effed up firearms dealer - and I told the buyer what was going on. He found another FFL - and this one is also doing the whole " won't accept a shipment from a private individual" deal.

It wouldn't surprise me if an FFL took a stance on private transfers - where they won't do it - because individuals screw up the paperwork requirements.

Whatever - the buyer said he'd pay the extra fees on this end to have an FFL do it, just seems like a waste to me. I've already shipped a number of firearms over the years and have a UPS Service Center right in town. I had to educate the UPS people the last time that they do actually ship firearms - with the FFL info, but looks like I'll have to find somebody over in the Littleton Mill to handle the transfer.

The screwed up thing is that I already talked to the FFL that the buyer wanted to use - and the 1st guy I talked to told me that I needed to provide them with my license info in order to make the transfer. I said "no problem, I have a MA Class A firearms license - I can provide both that and my driver's license info to you when I ship the firearm". The guy at the FFL said " send me an email with your basic info - and I'll get a copy of the FFL out to you so you can ship it".

That was last week. I've been away for the last three days - and figured they were maybe sending something in the mail (he seemed hesitant about sending stuff over email) - and I get back and there's nothing. Meanwhile the buyer had pinged me about status - and I told him they didn't respond. So I called the FFL again - and this time the guy is like " we don't accept transfers from individuals - FFL only".

So now I'm thinking they're just a typical effed up firearms dealer - and I told the buyer what was going on. He found another FFL - and this one is also doing the whole " won't accept a shipment from a private individual" deal.

It wouldn't surprise me if an FFL took a stance on private transfers - where they won't do it - because individuals screw up the paperwork requirements.

Whatever - the buyer said he'd pay the extra fees on this end to have an FFL do it, just seems like a waste to me. I've already shipped a number of firearms over the years and have a UPS Service Center right in town. I had to educate the UPS people the last time that they do actually ship firearms - with the FFL info, but looks like I'll have to find somebody over in the Littleton Mill to handle the transfer.
This is part of why I stopped selling/shipping
FFL around me charge alot to ship out. They charge a transfer fee plus shipping which has been no bargin.
Last rifle i sent out was for repairs.
$74 each way!

FFL around me charge alot to ship out. They charge a transfer fee plus shipping which has been no bargin.
$74 each way!

People being stupid just make things such a pain in the ass. It's been a few years - but I've sold multiple rifles and shipped them out of state. Never had a problem before. Contact the FFL, get their info so I can present it to the UPS people, make sure to get the FFL my information so they know who it was coming from and that I was licensed (being in MA actually makes that a bit easier IMHO because we have actual firearms licenses - lots of states don't) - and then make sure both the buyer and the FFL know the tracking information so they can watch for the shipment to arrive.

Biggest problem I had before - was that I had to educate the UPS desk people that they do actually ship rifles - and here is what they need to do it.

Most likely shop policy. I've mailed rifles through USPS directly to FFLs up in New England with no problems. One time I forgot a copy of my DL so he could put it in his book where it came from.

I have an FFL here in MO that I like doing business with, but he will only accept shipments from other FFLs. He'll say that's the law, bla bla bla but I like the shop and I'm not gonna argue such a thing. Worse case is I pay the shipping fee from the sending FFL if it's a private sale.

+1 for buyer covers fee and just do ffl to ffl and forget it. I had similar problems with NC ffl's. Also NC can be considered the NJ of the south. Last ffl I had to sort something out with had me talking to owners with an obnoxious NY or NJ accent.

Thanks - I just forwarded that to the guy I sold the rifle to. He's apparently getting told by multiple FFLs down there - that transfers MUST go FFL to FFL. Not sure why they'd do that - other than not wanting to deal with individuals for some reason. A lot of people really suck at properly handling paperwork I suppose.
It's because there's an enormous amount of retards that cannot be bothered to include a drivers license photocopy (both sides) in the box. This leaves the dealer in a bind because they have a gun they can't properly log in.

Also some dealers have a belief that they face less potential liability if a transfer comes from another dealer especially in a case where they cannot physically touch the sellers ID.

Yeah - that's what I thought. And I've done it before.

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that an Uzi *could have* a short barrel (this one doesn't) ??
This is because the FFL down there is either stupid or is doing like a particular shop in a couple of towns here in New Hampshire, making up his own rules.

Along with Biden and what's his face just threatening FFLs, a lot might be skittish. Worked for Maura.
Nope. Its based off pure laze factor.

It's way easier to log in guns from other dealers if there's an ffl copy in the box or your email. Rather than trying to type some guys shit in off a poor or nonexistent DL photocopy. So after the 7th or 8th f***ed up inbound they throw a temper tantrum and go "ffl only inbounds"

Well the buyer just got back to me and said he has found an FFL that will accept me just shipping the rifle direct. I went and looked up the UPS requirements - and there was nothing in there about requiring the FFL info - so I'm gonna try just shipping the rifle without it.

I seem to remember needing that FFL info the last time around I shipped a rifle - maybe something has changed . I dunno.

Anyway - at least I don't need to go find an FFL up here. That makes things a lot easier. Plus the buyer was surprised - he was like " Hey you were right!!".

Well the buyer just got back to me and said he has found an FFL that will accept me just shipping the rifle direct. I went and looked up the UPS requirements - and there was nothing in there about requiring the FFL info - so I'm gonna try just shipping the rifle without it.

I seem to remember needing that FFL info the last time around I shipped a rifle - maybe something has changed . I dunno.

Anyway - at least I don't need to go find an FFL up here. That makes things a lot easier. Plus the buyer was surprised - he was like " Hey you were right!!".

Translation..."I'm really the one who was worried you might be shady and wanted the dual-FFL transfer in the first place." [rofl2]

That’s nonsense. . I’ve run across it before...

At the same time I’ve seen people list uzi’s on GB...That have a 16 inch barrel with and they include the short one with it. That’s not a very cool thing to do

Translation..."I'm really the one who was worried you might be shady and wanted the dual-FFL transfer in the first place." [rofl2]

Yeah - maybe. I've run into an awful lot of people , both buyers, sellers and FFLs - who don't seem to know the gun laws very well. This buyer doesn't seem to - so maybe he thought I was trying to pull a fast one on him.

$74 each way!
I was looking at a 1911 a little while ago. Sellers FFL was offering to ship it for $110. I had to say no based on principle on that one.

That’s nonsense. . I’ve run across it before...

At the same time I’ve seen people list uzi’s on GB...That have a 16 inch barrel with and they include the short one with it. That’s not a very cool thing to do

I've seen those listings as well. I read thru a number of those listings - and the short barrels were listed as "for display only" meaning they weren't real barrels. I think a lot of guys want to hang an Uzi on their gun wall - and a 16" barrel sticking out of it just doesn't look cool enough.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. But the ones I’m talking about their “display purposes only” constitutes a federal gun crime.

I have a registered Uzi bolt so in my situation it doesn’t really matter...But you don’t have to look deep into the dark web to find things that just are a bad idea for most people

Company policy in the part of the receiving FFL I would guess. I have run into it before.

While it is easier (more options) for a non-FFL to ship a shotgun or rifle vs a receiver or pistol or firearm, at least in terms of shipping services, there is no reason an FFL cannot recieve any non-NFA item from an out of state individual on a state or fed ID.

Back
Top Bottom