Ruger 10/22s and accessories

SKS Ray

NES Member
I've seen lots of high capacity 20 and 30 round magazines for Ruger 10/22 rifles pop up for sale left and right lately. As far as I know when it comes to them being legal, they're like Glock mags. Anything made prior to the high cap ban is legal.
My main question is on folding stocks for the Ruger 10/22. I see them for sale all the time at gun shows, and often they're old and could very well be pre ban too. Does a person need a 10/22 made before the ban to put one of these stocks on and have it be considered legal? I remember reading a while back that folding stocks were offered only as replacement for rifles that had them in the first place. I'd like to buy an early 90's 10/22 in good shape for cheap money and add a folding stock (old or new production), plus use pre ban high cap 20 round magazines. I think it'd make a cool looking and fun plinker. Would doing so stay within the laws or would all conponents including the stock need to be pre ban?

Components (OTHER than mags) can be made any time.

I'll pass on answering whether or not the 10/22 had to have been "built in AW mode" prior to 9/13/94 to allow you to do this or whether mere age of the gun suffices. I do not really know which is true and never had a desire for an "assault .22LR rifle"!

LenS said:
Components (OTHER than mags) can be made any time.

I'll pass on answering whether or not the 10/22 had to have been "built in AW mode" prior to 9/13/94 to allow you to do this or whether mere age of the gun suffices. I do not really know which is true and never had a desire for an "assault .22LR rifle"!

Never under esitimate the threat posed by a row of menacing target clays and tin cans.[laugh]
I've got access to the rifle all the desired conponents and think i'm going to go ahead with the build. It can always be returned to original if I find its not ok. Loaded up with Stinger ammo it'd be a great coyote rifle.
I've always enjoyed tinkering with 10/22s because of their simplicity and wide assortment of accessories. Everything from gattling guns, bullpup design to AK style configurations, theres tons of things you can do with these rifles. Problem is determining legality. Either way I just can't get myself to buy the MG42 reproduction kit though no matter how unique it looks. [hmmm]

Don't use stinger ammo in a 10/22... it's longer than regular 22lr and there's a warning in the manual about it.

I'm trying to make mine into a fake M1A. Progress is not good. :(

Google 'krinker plinker' for a nice conversion. Not sure as well about what to say about it being assault weaponized before the ban... mostly because my mind can't male itself think beyond the sheer lunacy of being prosecuted for AWB violations on a 10/22 :/

I'd say don't use ANY rimfire on a coyote unless it is under 50 yards and eating a pet or right up near where kids play and that is all you have on hand. They are known to get up and boogie sometimes even after a .223, which requires a lot of tracking time. Then again, .223 is no good on fur, so the recommendation is for .17 Remington or .22 Hornet or some of the wildcats in that range. Oh, and the .204 Ruger is looking promising.

Milsurps 4 Me said:
I've seen lots of high capacity 20 and 30 round magazines for Ruger 10/22 rifles pop up for sale left and right lately. As far as I know when it comes to them being legal, they're like Glock mags. Anything made prior to the high cap ban is legal.
My main question is on folding stocks for the Ruger 10/22. I see them for sale all the time at gun shows, and often they're old and could very well be pre ban too. Does a person need a 10/22 made before the ban to put one of these stocks on and have it be considered legal? I remember reading a while back that folding stocks were offered only as replacement for rifles that had them in the first place. I'd like to buy an early 90's 10/22 in good shape for cheap money and add a folding stock (old or new production), plus use pre ban high cap 20 round magazines. I think it'd make a cool looking and fun plinker. Would doing so stay within the laws or would all conponents including the stock need to be pre ban?

I don't know how anyone could tell. I have one of these mags for my 10/22
and there isn't a single identifier on it. Is the absence of a date, or any other
identifier on it, the criterea for good mag vs bad mag?

TBP

TBP,

It was adequate for Fed purposes (Fed law demanded markings), but NOT specified for MA purposes! So caveat emptor!

When Fed ban was lifted a lot of companies went back to making hi-caps WITHOUT markings, making status difficult to tell. Some mfg processes have changed over 11 years making an expert in plastics able to tell, but not the owner who may be trying to do the right thing. Guess who will win in court (IF someone decides to prosecute for political points)?

LenS said:
TBP,

It was adequate for Fed purposes (Fed law demanded markings), but NOT specified for MA purposes! So caveat emptor!

When Fed ban was lifted a lot of companies went back to making hi-caps WITHOUT markings, making status difficult to tell. Some mfg processes have changed over 11 years making an expert in plastics able to tell, but not the owner who may be trying to do the right thing. Guess who will win in court (IF someone decides to prosecute for political points)?

Thanks Len,

Well, I bought the 10/22 in '85 so I guess I could tell them that is when I
bought it (which it was) but in the absence of a receipt (long since gone
I'm sure) I will leave it in Vt. until such time as I move my residence.

TBP

Back
Top Bottom