S&W Issues Recall for Walther PPK/PPKs Models

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
This is dated today 2/20/09

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...catalogId=10001&content=62303&sectionId=10506
=
Smith & Wesson has identified a condition that may exist in certain PPK and PPK/S pistols which may permit a round to be discharged without the trigger being pulled. When the manual safety is disengaged, Smith & Wesson’s Product Engineering Group has determined that the possibility exists in certain firearms that lowering the hammer may cause a chambered round to fire.
This recall applies to all Walther PPK and PPK/S pistols manufactured by Smith & Wesson from March 21, 2002, until February 3, 2009. The Serial Numbers of the pistol subject to this recall are as follows:

BAB 0010-BAB 9999
BAC 0000-BAC 9999
BAD 0000-BAD 9999
LTD 0000-LTD 0499
PPK 0001-PPK 1500
BAE 0000-BAE 9999
BAF 0000-BAF 9999
WLE 0001-WLE 0459
BAH 0000-BAH 9999
BAJ 0000-BAJ 9999
BAK 0000-BAK 9999
REP 0026-REP 0219
BAL 0000-BAL 5313
BAM 0000-BAM 1320

I have a dumb question, my serial is like this 6049BAH. I see that the numbers in question are like BAHXXXX. I know I'm not dyslectic reading the serial #.

Anyone know why mine is like this?

I sent for the shipping label.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a dumb question, my serial is like this 6049BAH. I see that the numbers in question are like BAHXXXX. I know I'm not dyslectic reading the serial #.

I can't answer that, but it looks like all S&W built PPK and PPKS models made since 2002 are potentially included in this recall.

From what's described in the text of the recall, I'll venture to guess that the part that fails is #10 in this diagram. I've actually seen one of these break before, on an Interarms made gun back in the early 90's. Not one of mine, but on one I saw at the gun club. It cracked right in half and the safety lever fell out of the slide, half of it anyway. The other half stayed put but rendered the gun inoperable. I don't know if it happened while actually shooting or while decocking.

Attachments

• PPK_Diagram.gif
    PPK_Diagram.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 37
From what's described in the text of the recall, I'll venture to guess that the part that fails is #10 in this diagram. I've actually seen one of these break before, on an Interarms made gun back in the early 90's. Not one of mine, but on one I saw at the gun club. It cracked right in half and the safety lever fell out of the slide, half of it anyway. The other half stayed put but rendered the gun inoperable. I don't know if it happened while actually shooting or while decocking.

I think you're right, Zappa. I can remember some big debates over that rotating hammer drop/firing pin shield back in the '70s. Many people were uncomfortable with the idea of dropping the hammer on a chamber with a loaded round.

IIRC, S&W did some extensive tests to prove that it was a safe design. They incorporated that type of safety in most, if not all, of their 9mm semiautos. All 5 of my S&Ws use it. I have never had a problem with it on any of them.

I wonder why it's just happening with the Walther pistols? If they have to do a recall on their whole product line....[shocked]

Thanks.

You're not dyslexic. I had the same question. I typed in my serial # like S&W lists them, BAHXXXX, and the system accepted it. Hopefully, the people on this board will be among the first to get their gun into S&W and get them back quickly.

I hate it when one of my guns has to go to the hospital. [sad]

Last edited:
Wonderful.[crying]

Thanks for posting, but I own one of these critters and had been carrying it awhile back! It's one of the custom ones with the Tiger on the slide, but the SN matches this list.

Not good.

Last edited:
i hope you guys get em back quick. i saw this on the news this morning, i knew it would be posted by the time i got to work.

Funny that the gun Connery is holding in the picture there is not even a PPK.

I have an Interarms stainless PPK/s bought used in '02. The one problem I've had with this gun is that after a few years the hammer started to follow the slide, bringing each shot back to DA mode. I replaced the firing pin block spring, hammer spring, recoil spring and firing pin spring, and that cured it for maybe 100 rounds or so. Now it still does it about 20% of the time. It happens with any ammo. The gun never had any failure to feed or eject. I think what will cure it is if I replace the sear (or what Walther calls the "cocking piece"), the two sear rivets, and the hammer. I think the hammer/sear engagement has been worn down over the years and is just not catching the hammer on the rebound. The problem never allowed any AD's, or doubling.

From all the posts about the PPK variants on this forum and others, it seems to me that the early German-made ones are the best quality, fit and reliability. The imported Interarms models being second, the Interarms-made being third, and the S&W-made ones being last. I know many of you love your Smithy PPK's, I'm just drawing on what I've read and heard.

BTW, I can't stand the extended beavertail. My hands are just the right size where I can shoot guns like 92FS comfortably, but not get bitten by smaller guns like the PPK.

Quick - not so lucky. I just called and it's about a 10-14 week turn around from the time you submit the request online.

Uggggggg - and i was just about to put my PPKs up for sale (as much as i like it - just never use it) - Guess that won't happen for several months now. Thanks S&W!

Quick - not so lucky. I just called and it's about a 10-14 week turn around from the time you submit the request online.

Uggggggg - and i was just about to put my PPKs up for sale (as much as i like it - just never use it) - Guess that won't happen for several months now. Thanks S&W!

I just bought one on the forum that I knew was under the recall. While I'm not happy about having the gun sitting at S&W for several weeks it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I got a good deal on the gun and accessories.

If I had bought this a few days earlier then neither myself nor the seller would have been aware of any recall. I could have bought a brand new one at a dealer a short time ago and still have to deal with the recall issue.

Everyone has different expectations when they buy something. As long as the seller is upfront about the item and the price is fair I don't have an issue with it. [grin]

Thanks.

OP had the web site numbers reversed. Go to the link and you'll see the number listed as XXXBAH

Thanks to the Op for posting this, mine is on the list...[thinking]

Back
Top Bottom