S&W K-Frame Target Trigger

Patriot

NES Member
Edited to add: Please move this to the Firearms, equip, etc forum.
Thanks

Looking for a S&W K-Frame target trigger. Key word is inexpensive.
Used is fine as long as it is in good condition.

TBP

Last edited:
Used but excellent condition with all case hardening intact. If the price is OK, I can send it for inspection. Pay me if you like it, send it back if you don't.

FYI-K, L, and N use the same triggers

Editing to add, this is a .500 wide target Not the .400.

Thanks RGS,

Now you've thrown me a curve with the .5 vs the .4 trigger. I have seen these
measurments bandied about but having never shot a pistol with either trigger
can you tell me which one is the more preferred? Is the .5 too wide or the .4
too narrow? Is it just personal preference? Are there any drawbacks to either?
Sorry for all the questions but I am still in learning mode.

Thanks,

TBP

Thanks RGS,

Now you've thrown me a curve with the .5 vs the .4 trigger. I have seen these
measurments bandied about but having never shot a pistol with either trigger
can you tell me which one is the more preferred? Is the .5 too wide or the .4
too narrow? Is it just personal preference? Are there any drawbacks to either?
Sorry for all the questions but I am still in learning mode.

Thanks,

TBP

A true Target Trigger is .500 wide. It is wider than the trigger guard and, therefore not suitable for holster carry. .400 is the width of the trigger guard and came serrated or smooth called a Combat Trigger. Standard triggers were .265 serrated and the newer models are .312 (I think) smooth.

I looked in my parts box and I have 2 .500 Target triggers. Both were fitted to target guns used for Bulls Eye. If that is what you are looking for, I can send them both and you can pick the one you want. One thing, triggers Do require some fitting. Single action is the most critical and single action is what the Target Triggers were primarily used for.

I am off for tonight so think about it and e mail me if you are interested. (I can also fit a trigger [wink] )

Gary

A true Target Trigger is .500 wide. It is wider than the trigger guard and, therefore not suitable for holster carry. .400 is the width of the trigger guard and came serrated or smooth called a Combat Trigger. Standard triggers were .265 serrated and the newer models are .312 (I think) smooth.

I looked in my parts box and I have 2 .500 Target triggers. Both were fitted to target guns used for Bulls Eye. If that is what you are looking for, I can send them both and you can pick the one you want. One thing, triggers Do require some fitting. Single action is the most critical and single action is what the Target Triggers were primarily used for.

I am off for tonight so think about it and e mail me if you are interested. (I can also fit a trigger [wink] )

Gary

Thanks Gray,

I have a new target hammer and it is .5 wide on the thumb piece. I guess
I have to think about whether I want to ever holster this, or even do this.
Maybe I will just keep it at DAO. I didn't pay very much for the gun and it
might make sense just to get another one. I will get back to you after I think
about it some more.

TBP

The SW .500 is not specifically designed for SA only- they did make a trigger group which was SA only for the K-38. It was a factory mod. I think Roundgunner was just refering to the fact that as single action they feel better. They are able to be used DA. SW still offers them from the parts dept. $40 is a good price. Greg

I guess what I am thinking, and correct me if I am wrong, is that the trigger
has been modified to be DAO and there is no returning it to a standard trigger.
There is no SA on this pistol at all. The hammer cannot be placed in the cocked
postion no matter what. So, if I want to return it to SA/DA I have to change
the trigger. The hammer is obvious?

(I have just broken out my Kuhnhausen S&W shop manual to see if there is
anything that I can reference in that).

Thanks,

TBP

That comes under the "It depends" Catagory. It, most likely can be put back to normal configuration with parts I have in my box depending on what they did to make it DA Only.

If they cut the cocking notch off the hammer, the hammer will need to be replaced. If they dulled the bevel of the trigger, it may be saved but may have to be replaced.

Like I said, it depends on what they did. If you are reasonably handy you may be able to do it. Personally I have never seen the book you mention although I have seen a lot of misinformation from it on the forums.

If you need a hand, let me know.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom