• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Saiga 5.45x39 Rifle Mod Thread

to me, an AK needs wood furniture, battle sights, hi-cap mags, and a sling....no rails, no scopes, no adjustable stocks, no BS!!! classic look, ya know?? all these "tactical" AK's are not my cup-o-tea. i can understand a .308 saiga with a scope for long distance accuracy, but if your going to convert a saiga to be AK style, then make it just that...AK style. if you want rails, optics, adjustable stocks, ETC....get an AR. just my opinion, to each is own. i will be ordering parts and the rifle this weekend with a buddy of mine who already converted a few saigas and has been through the paces, ALMOST guru status, who is willing to help me out. it will be classic tan/red furniture, pistol grip conversion, a new trigger group, and maybe a comp down the line. i am curious to see what trigger group he recommends. i will post pics when it's done, hopefully in a week or two.

when you pull out the AK, everyone should know it's an AK[mg]

if i pull out my AK, the last thing anybody should be concerned with is whether or not it's an AK and to be quite frank, it shouldn't matter if others can properly identify the weapon you're holding...you said it best with "to each his own".

i shouldn't have to get an AR just because i want optics and a rail...besides, an AR doesn't fill the same needs as an AK.

personally, my first build is a traditional AK. wood furniture, battle sights, hi-caps and a sling...but i fell in love with the platform and wanted the other side of the spectrum as well, hence my new one. with guns, usually there isn't a question as to which one to own, because you should just own both and elminate all question!

@Blix - what kind of optic is that? Do both hold zero well? I assume you adjust one to zero and the other follows because they are on the same base?

I was thinking of putting the same thing on my saiga I was looking at this one http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Snip...59PG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1329330943&sr=8-4

@Ryan - some of us are individuals and like to have guns that are customized to the way we like them. If you like wood furniture, have at it. Leave me to own what I want to own, not what you want me to own.

@Blix - what kind of optic is that? Do both hold zero well? I assume you adjust one to zero and the other follows because they are on the same base?

I was thinking of putting the same thing on my saiga I was looking at this one http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Snip...59PG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1329330943&sr=8-4

that is exactly what the scope is, i have yet to fire though so not sure if it's gonna hold zero. i have since removed the red dot, didn't like the way it looked/felt. i honestly don't think you'd be able to zero it anyways with how high on the rifle it sits. it's such a small optic though, it'd work really well on a target pistol.

that's my goal...already got the AR, maybe that's why i'm craving the AK. i need one per hand!!!

Yeah well I've got 4 ak variants all different some tacticool some classic and 2 ar's plus another 3 in the works variety is the spice of life my friend! Lol only need to stay pure with collectibles in my opinion! Best of luck and enjoy your new weapon!

Yeah well I've got 4 ak variants all different some tacticool some classic and 2 ar's plus another 3 in the works variety is the spice of life my friend! Lol only need to stay pure with collectibles in my opinion! Best of luck and enjoy your new weapon!

Sounds like u need more hands, lol

Blix - Let me know how it goes, I like the idea of having the (semi)long and short range optics together. But if functionally it doesnt work then I won't waste the money.

to me, an AK needs wood furniture, battle sights, hi-cap mags, and a sling....no rails, no scopes, no adjustable stocks, no BS!!! classic look, ya know?? all these "tactical" AK's are not my cup-o-tea. i can understand a .308 saiga with a scope for long distance accuracy, but if your going to convert a saiga to be AK style, then make it just that...AK style. if you want rails, optics, adjustable stocks, ETC....get an AR. just my opinion, to each is own. i will be ordering parts and the rifle this weekend with a buddy of mine who already converted a few saigas and has been through the paces, ALMOST guru status, who is willing to help me out. it will be classic tan/red furniture, pistol grip conversion, a new trigger group, and maybe a comp down the line. i am curious to see what trigger group he recommends. i will post pics when it's done, hopefully in a week or two.

when you pull out the AK, everyone should know it's an AK[mg]

This is a high powered rant for someone that "might" put a comp at the end of his "traditional" AK styled saiga conversion. If you are this serious about getting it "right" you're going to need the correct handguard retainer, a new AKM trigger guard that isn't the hacked Saiga trigger guard, and a FSB that has threads on it so you can go all-the-way to your AK-104 clone.

Taking a conversion to this level requires a lot of work that most don't want to put into the rifle. Try getting a Saiga FSB and GRB off of the barrel so you can get the handguard retainer on there... I bet this rant disappears from your thought process after you venture down that unknown-to-you road.

Most conversions are simple. So why get all butt hurt about people decking them out like they want to? They're already modifying the rifle in a way that alters it from it's original form.

If you are a self-proclaimed AK snob, you best build your rifles from kits or suffer heckling from the peanut gallery. I prefer my AKMs as clones to their parent variants... but this can get expensive and is not practical at all. Understanding this allows me to appreciate other people's endeavors in Saiga converting / AK building. It's all an open canvas once you start and people's tastes shouldn't be judged because they will be different than yours.

Look up "Russian / Soviet AK PLO parts kit" on gunbroker and check out the price on it. Look at soviet AKM clone builds. Check the price tag of the final build. I have a Russian Type 3 PLO re-weld that will make your jaw drop if you knew how much money I spent on it... and drop even further if you knew what the going rate on the kit is in today's market. There is always the "next step." Imagine if these people heckled your pistol grip conversion Saigas with timbersmith wood on it..... you would think they were pricks and you would be correct in thinking so.

Last edited:
This is a high powered rant...

it wasn't intended to be such a "high powered rant"....there are some extremely sensitive gun owners on this forum, for sure. i was merely commenting on what i like and don't like on some of the guns posted through-out this forum, and indicating what i would like to do with my conversion. isn't that what this thread is about...sharing ideas, opinions, and personal preferences?? (along with some education) nobody should need ANYONE'S approval to feel good about the firearms they own/build. the strong defense of and personal attacks on my opinion seems like overkill here guys. noone should really be affected at all by what some stranger writes on a gun forum about any particular gun, even if they do happen to own that particular gun. i will excuse myself from this conversation since i am, apparantly, not worthy. sorry to offend anyone's personal taste, i love all firearms in general!!!!

BTW, u are the master of high powered rants, i've seen your work...so i take that as a compliment, coming from you.

Last edited:
If anyone needs a bullet guide for a flat trunnion 5.45, I have an extra one (BNIB). Its in the classifieds...

has anyone run into the problem of the timbersmith (russian red version) stock not fitting when using the fcg hole plugs from carolinashooterssupply? when i place the stock into the back of the receiver it covers 1/2 of the original trigger pin holes the plugs need to go into. it looks as if the stock may need some material filed off to fit with the plugs in the holes.

has anyone run into the problem of the timbersmith (russian red version) stock not fitting when using the fcg hole plugs from carolinashooterssupply? when i place the stock into the back of the receiver it covers 1/2 of the original trigger pin holes the plugs need to go into. it looks as if the stock may need some material filed off to fit with the plugs in the holes.

i had that problem, hacked a bit off with hacksaw, nbd

Just about all traditional styles AK butt stocks (plastic or wood) block half of one of the holes. I usually mark where the plug goes, remove the butt stock and drill out about a 1/4" material on both sides with a 1/2" drill bit.

wish i had read the above comments about an hour ago. hacksaw, then sanding the edges smooth was what i just did. at least the stock is on now and someone else reading this thread will know what to expect when it comes time to put the stock on.

I just ran into a question I can't find an answer to and was hoping someone here could help out:

I was taking the ACE stock off my saiga because I want to put a spacer between it and the receiver block, because its a little short for my liking. Once it was off (only 2 screws) I was looking at it thinking I bet it would be fun to shoot that. But then I started wondering, can I (legally) have a saiga with a 16" barrel and no stock in MA (or anywhere in the US)? Does it become a pistol? Does it become an SBR? Or something all together too evil for this liberal island we live on?

Any help would be appreciated

so whats the differnce between a saiga with a folding stock in the folded position and a saiga with no stock?

I know this isn't the intent of this thread (to share mods to our 5.45s) but I figure everyone is in the same place why not ask...

What has everyone been feeding their Saiga 5.45? Russian surplus, Wolf, Silver bear, etc...?

Any bad experiences?

Would anyone be interested in a 5.45 group buy? (If there is enough interest I'll start a new thread so we don't bog this one down)

I know this isn't the intent of this thread (to share mods to our 5.45s) but I figure everyone is in the same place why not ask...

What has everyone been feeding their Saiga 5.45? Russian surplus, Wolf, Silver bear, etc...?

Any bad experiences?

Would anyone be interested in a 5.45 group buy? (If there is enough interest I'll start a new thread so we don't bog this one down)
I only shoot surplus when available for cost reasons. i have gone through 5.45 tin in these past year and half and i had ZERO issues with it.
Only downside of surplus is cleaning. Since Saigas are chrome lined - there is no issues with the bore but boltface and immediate chamber locale internals are better be REALLY well cleaned if you want your metal to stay in tip-top shape. Additionally if you have a muzzle device and it's welded then you might be asking for trouble. while bores are chrome-lined muzzle crown isn't so the best way IMHO is still water down the bore.

Or invest in non-threaded, easily detachable, 'lug-lock style' muzzle brake from Saiga-AK.com when those are finally available to public.[smile]

I also shot Wolf (commercial .223) in my AR and same with 100% no issues. although i've only gotten through 300-400 rounds to date.

Last edited:
only stuff i've put through either of my Saigas is the MFS stuff i got when i picked up my first one, and the 700rd spam cans from MFLR. i don't even know what brand it is, but i haven't had any problems with either.

Back
Top Bottom