SBR / Form 1... Do I have this right?

This is will be my first SBR and my first Form 1 filed.

I want to do this.... The picture is abomb60's

102_0885.jpg

-- I just ordered the Form 1's from the ATF website.

-- I have a preban lower.

-- I will be registering it to me. Not a trust, LLC or corp. Because of this I will need CLEO sign off?

-- Assuming I get CLEO sign off. I mail the Form 1 and payment off to the ATF.

-- While waiting for its return, I get the lower engraved with my name and town and state. No street address or zip code?

-- Order / obtain the SBR upper.

-- Wait for Stamp to return. Assemble rifle.

Is this correct?

A couple other questions.

Having not seen a Form 1, are they self explanatory as to how to fill them out?

If after I have the SBR approved and built, I move to a different town. What needs to be done? The lower will have the old town engraved on it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Or have it shipped to someone that does not own an AR lower? It couldn't be 'constructive possesion' if they don't have both parts... No?

How about the rest of my time line in the OP. Sound right?

-- I will be registering it to me. Not a trust, LLC or corp. Because of this I will need CLEO sign off?
Yes you'll need the signoff, prints & photos

-- Assuming I get CLEO sign off. I mail the Form 1 and payment off to the ATF.Correct

-- While waiting for its return, I get the lower engraved with my name and town and state. No street address or zip code?
Basically. You need to engrave with what you put on the Form 1. Usually name & city, state.

Having not seen a Form 1, are they self explanatory as to how to fill them out?Not difficult at all.

If after I have the SBR approved and built, I move to a different town. What needs to be done? The lower will have the old town engraved on it.
I think you need to notify the ATF but i'm not sure. You don't have to reengrave the lower.

Also that pic is old. My AR looks like this now:

SNC00100.jpg

Last edited:
Send the lower out to be engraved before you send in the form.

You don't have to ... you can wait until after you receive the Form 1 to get the engraving done. Of course if you can get it done while you're waiting it might be a better use of your time.

You don't have to ... you can wait until after you receive the Form 1 to get the engraving done. Of course if you can get it done while you're waiting it might be a better use of your time.

I know this.

It's more of a "just incase". Things happen during shipping and you don’t want to be left with a useless stamp.

I'm a class 2 manufacturer and have used this guy to do my engraving:
M J TAGGART'S ARMS & AMMUNITION (Michael Taggart)
P.O. BOX 1889 LAPORTE, IN 46352-1889
PHONE 219-326-5439
I was happy with his work and it was pretty reasonable (20-25$ I think). give him a try Jim OO, Inc 07/SOT

I'm a class 2 manufacturer and have used this guy to do my engraving:
M J TAGGART'S ARMS & AMMUNITION (Michael Taggart)
P.O. BOX 1889 LAPORTE, IN 46352-1889
PHONE 219-326-5439
I was happy with his work and it was pretty reasonable (20-25$ I think). give him a try Jim OO, Inc 07/SOT

Thanks. I'll keep them in mind.

I have seen folks suggest sending the lower for engraving prior to sending in the Form 1, but I know myself and others have not. I had Orion Arms do my engraving and it was absolutely perfect with a short turn around. Best of luck and here's hoping for a speed time line from the NFA. I checked the NFA time line thread at ARFCOM when I was waiting on mine, depending on your examiner it may or may not be a good indicator of where your stands in line (if you don't want to call the ATF directly and ask).

It is my understanding from a friend who has built several SBR ARs that it is illegal to have an untagged SBR upper if you have a lower rifle reciever without an upper attached to it, regardless of the status of that lower rifle reciever - even if it is completely striped.

Thus, you can have a friend who has ARs, just no "loose" lower recievers, hold onto the SBR upper, but you're most likely best to have your FFL hold it for you.

As for engraving, it might delay your assembly a few days, but I'd wait until you get the stamped Form-1 back. It shouldn't take long to have the weapon engraved and at that point you know everything is set before committing to have your name engraved into the weapon.

It is my understanding from a friend who has built several SBR ARs that it is illegal to have an untagged SBR upper if you have a lower rifle reciever without an upper attached to it, regardless of the status of that lower rifle reciever - even if it is completely striped.

This is true if you don't have a stamp. If you have a stamp for a lower you can have as many uppers as you want/registered even if the lower is stripped and engraved only.

And ShaneWPI, you don't happen to be from the North Shore are you? I know a shane that went to WPI. I know it's a long shot but figured I'd ask.

Back
Top Bottom