SBR into pistol?

Hey there...I have an SBR and I'll be moving to a state that doesn't allow NFA weapons (I thought they did seeing as their laws are MUCH better than MA...but after closer examination of their laws i'm SOL)...anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can take the SBR I created and basically turn it back into a pistol so I can bring it with me...thanks!

What is it now? How is it configured? No matter what you do, it will always be in the registry, but if you rework it to a non-NFA item and work with NFA branch, they can make a note of this. Contact them before you do anything! Jack.

You should be able to call the NFA branch in WV as they should be able to tell you how to change the status of your firearm. It might cost another 200 to "remanufacture" it back into a non-NFA firearm.

What is it now? How is it configured? No matter what you do, it will always be in the registry, but if you rework it to a non-NFA item and work with NFA branch, they can make a note of this. Contact them before you do anything! Jack.

Agreed. Need to know what it is. In some cases if it is pistol with a stock, then removing the stock converts it back to the pistol and it is only the combination of parts that make it the nfa weapon. Examples of this are wallet holster and guns (combo) as AOW or SP89 with forward grip (combo), or in the case of an 9"bbl AR15. It is my understanding that this can be removed from the NFR by informing batfe in writing that the registered weapon has been "permanently altered" and no longer NFA.

Best and safest route to go is just to call your examiner at batfe and ask them what the procedure is for removing a gun from the registry, and best is to have them send/ fax (hardcopy, get it in writing) the relevant statutes and procedures..

Hey there...I have an SBR and I'll be moving to a state that doesn't allow NFA weapons (I thought they did seeing as their laws are MUCH better than MA...but after closer examination of their laws i'm SOL)...anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can take the SBR I created and basically turn it back into a pistol so I can bring it with me...thanks!

You can "unregister" a SBR. You need to restore it back to a Title I configuration. Keep in mind that even if you send a letter to ATF to unregister your SBR, it will always be in the NFRTR (National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record), but will no longer be regulated as a SBR.

Something else VERY important to keep in mind! You can NOT make a pistol out of anything that didn't start life as a pistol. For example, you buy a virgin AR lower, and immediately assemble it into a rifle, and then later into a SBR. Even after you've unregistered your SBR, this lower can ONLY ever be a rifle. If you took that same virgin lower, and immediately assembled it into a pistol (which wouldn't be legal in MA, but...) and then registered it as a SBR, and installed a stock, you COULD remove the stock and unregister the lower, and have a legal Title I pistol.

See the ruling in United States vs. Thompson-Center Arms 504 US 505 (1992)

--EasyD

Can you convert a rifle into a pistol? I didn't think you could....you can go pistol to rifle, but not rifle to pistol. Or is it the other way?

thanks for the info...unregistering this seems to be the best choice...it's an MP5 "clone" that started as a pistol, so yes I should be able to turn it back into one...of course if they want another $200 to hell with that...I'll just keep it as an SBR at my folks place and have it under lock and key.

Does the law allow you to keep it as an SBR, but put a longer barrel on it? That way if you ever move out of the state you are safe from having to pay to put it back.

Also, NH isn't that far from many places in MA*....it may be worth the commute to keep your freedom.

* Note: Just noticed you AREN'T moving to MA....well in any case, look to neighboring states if you can bear the commute.

Back
Top Bottom