• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Lever Actions (please?)

On both my 45-70s the brass beads does well with the peep.

there are some that offer hi viz sights in the dovetail, or skinner blade.

on my 450 marlin guide gun I put a ghost ring setup and the front has a post with a white line that is very easy to see. They are made by xs sights and you dont need a rail.

igot the sights off of grabagun for like 70 bucks for front and rear

I am having trouble with the bead. I just painted it bright pink including the trail edge of the sight. Will be trying it out today when the range opens. Pete

Well, took out the lever actions today. Lets start with the Henry 357. Those round nose cowboy action bullets I loaded are awesome. Accurate and so is to cycle the gun. That is a winner. We were hitting the steel plates at 120 yards shooting from a standing position. That bullet is moving with the 13.8 grains of Alliant 2400 behind it. The bullet looks like exploding sand once it hits the steel. Wow.

I am struggling with the front sight on the 45-70 though. The peep is a big improvement, but the front is still an issue. I even painted it pink. Unfortunately I could only test it at 120 yards because people at the club were nice enough to destroy the 75 yard and 100 yard target supports. Thank you for that. Anyway, I was hitting my paper which was about 15 by 20 inches, and I even had a couple only an inch from my X. But I was way to inconsistent. I am tempted to scope it, just to rule out the barrel, but given that my buddy had the same complaint, I think I need to tackle the front sight first. I just can't get myself to scope it; sacrilege as far as I am concerned. I have limited experience shooting iron sights 100 yards or farther, but I expect to be within 6 inches of the bullseye, worst case.

So I have a question for you guys. How do I determine what size dovetail I need for a front sight? Thanks Pete

Oh, despite my lack of accuracy, wow we had fun with the 45-70. 24 grains of Alliant 2400 is just a joy to shoot. But the 53 grains of 3031 behind a 405 grain bullet really makes you feel like an ass kicking cowboy. It almost pushed my wife off the seat :) And anyone who owns a 45-70 immediately knows that you are shooting one. It is quite loud.

Well, took out the lever actions today. Lets start with the Henry 357. Those round nose cowboy action bullets I loaded are awesome. Accurate and so is to cycle the gun. That is a winner. We were hitting the steel plates at 120 yards shooting from a standing position. That bullet is moving with the 13.8 grains of Alliant 2400 behind it. The bullet looks like exploding sand once it hits the steel. Wow.

I am struggling with the front sight on the 45-70 though. The peep is a big improvement, but the front is still an issue. I even painted it pink. Unfortunately I could only test it at 120 yards because people at the club were nice enough to destroy the 75 yard and 100 yard target supports. Thank you for that. Anyway, I was hitting my paper which was about 15 by 20 inches, and I even had a couple only an inch from my X. But I was way to inconsistent. I am tempted to scope it, just to rule out the barrel, but given that my buddy had the same complaint, I think I need to tackle the front sight first. I just can't get myself to scope it; sacrilege as far as I am concerned. I have limited experience shooting iron sights 100 yards or farther, but I expect to be within 6 inches of the bullseye, worst case.

So I have a question for you guys. How do I determine what size dovetail I need for a front sight? Thanks Pete

Oh, despite my lack of accuracy, wow we had fun with the 45-70. 24 grains of Alliant 2400 is just a joy to shoot. But the 53 grains of 3031 behind a 405 grain bullet really makes you feel like an ass kicking cowboy. It almost pushed my wife off the seat :) And anyone who owns a 45-70 immediately knows that you are shooting one. It is quite loud.
Do you have a pic of the front sight on it now?

Do you have a pic of the front sight on it now?
I will try to get one of it tomorrow. It is the traditional front sight with the hood. Took the hood off, which helped a little. I should also share that I wear trifocals. I do not have a problem with pistol. Even the Henry works fine. Just something about this front sight that is bothersome. It is washing out on me. Skinner makes a fiber optic sight that will fit and only costs 20 bucks, so I ordered it.

I will try to get one of it tomorrow. It is the traditional front sight with the hood. Took the hood off, which helped a little. I should also share that I wear trifocals. I do not have a problem with pistol. Even the Henry works fine. Just something about this front sight that is bothersome. It is washing out on me. Skinner makes a fiber optic sight that will fit and only costs 20 bucks, so I ordered it.
Ok so I think the issue with that is that the base is screwed on and then there’s a 1/4” dovetail sight in there.
I might be wrong but you might be limited by having a 1/4” dovetail. Maybe not.
check marbles website for front sights.
I believe it’s 1/4” but you can punch it out and check it with a mic.

Ok so I think the issue with that is that the base is screwed on and then there’s a 1/4” dovetail sight in there.
I might be wrong but you might be limited by having a 1/4” dovetail. Maybe not.
check marbles website for front sights.
I believe it’s 1/4” but you can punch it out and check it with a mic.

Yes. That is the setup. I came up with .375 using the mic. Will know in a few days if I measured correctly.

Yes. That is the setup. I came up with .375 using the mic. Will know in a few days if I measured correctly.
Oh nice. That’s a standard size.
I like the brass bead but you might like the fiber optic or big white dot more.

I like the the tapered design teamed up with the Marlin semi buckhorn rear. You can bury the bead in the rear sight for close up shots and pick a couple more sigh pictures all the way up to holding the bottom of the front bead on the top of the buckhorn rear to give you the elevation for a long shot.
Any of these sight pictures can still allow you a 6 o clock hold.
When shooting my 38 loads in my 1894 I can bury the bead for a 25 yard shot. Hold the bead in the middle of the buckhorn for 100 and raise it up above for 200 without obscuring the target. If you team up a tang sight on the back you can have a third sight picture.
Elmer Keith used to do this by putting horizontal gold lines spaced apart on his front sighs of his six guns.
He had the lines engraved at to give him a set hold with a set load.
I don’t have good enough eyes or steady enough hands to make of it fine gold lines the way he did.

I think I need to do that. Do you do well coyote hunting? I’ve never really looked into it. I have some buddies that have done it and done well over the years though.
Ive got 2 down this year calling long distance. One with the long barrel 45-70, the with modern scope rifle.

I do ok with the lever out to 150 yards with the peep sight over the years. Any more than that is tough. But with the 45-70 you can pretty much hit it anywhere and its going down.

Lately ive been doing more long range work with the ruger 223 ranch, or 6.5 ruger Predator. Its almost like cheating.

Just got the new 1894c 357 mag, in today. and shes nice. 3 for 3 with new Remlins that came in quality.

Ill try and get a peep sight on it and be ready to hunt this weekend in some wooded tighter areas.

Ive got 2 down this year calling long distance. One with the long barrel 45-70, the with modern scope rifle.

I do ok with the lever out to 150 yards with the peep sight over the years. Any more than that is tough. But with the 45-70 you can pretty much hit it anywhere and its going down.

Lately ive been doing more long range work with the ruger 223 ranch, or 6.5 ruger Predator. Its almost like cheating.

Just got the new 1894c 357 mag, in today. and shes nice. 3 for 3 with new Remlins that came in quality.

Ill try and get a peep sight on it and be ready to hunt this weekend in some wooded tighter areas.
That’s awesome.
Have you ever considered a tang sight? Like a marbles or even a vernier sight? The tang sight is nice because it brings the peep way back close to your eye and you can use much smaller apertures. I have a Pedersoli mid range soule on my Sharps and I love it

Hey, what type of groupings are you guys getting at a 100 yards with your iron sights? Pete
I never really shoot groups I just plink steel. I can hit a 10” plate at 300 all day long with the Soule sight. I dance around the 500 yard plate with some hits. I think it’s more of an issue of the steel is never painted so my sight picture sucks at 500.
I just bought some 5744 and I have 100 pieces of new starline brass to be loaded so I can shoot an actual group as soon as the summer hits. (I shoot at night at my range and the 100 yard isn’t lit up)
I’ll keep you updated.
That being said my hits are way more consistent with the Soule sight that with open sights.
Have you ever worked with a vernier sight? They’re pretty freaking awesome.

I never really shoot groups I just plink steel. I can hit a 10” plate at 300 all day long with the Soule sight. I dance around the 500 yard plate with some hits. I think it’s more of an issue of the steel is never painted so my sight picture sucks at 500.
I just bought some 5744 and I have 100 pieces of new starline brass to be loaded so I can shoot an actual group as soon as the summer hits. (I shoot at night at my range and the 100 yard isn’t lit up)
I’ll keep you updated.
That being said my hits are way more consistent with the Soule sight that with open sights.
Have you ever worked with a vernier sight? They’re pretty freaking awesome.

So far only the skinner peep in the rear. I should have the fiber optic front sight by Thursday. We'll see if I get a better sight picture with that. If I continue to spray bullets, then it will be time talk bullets with you guys.

That’s awesome.
Have you ever considered a tang sight? Like a marbles or even a vernier sight? The tang sight is nice because it brings the peep way back close to your eye and you can use much smaller apertures. I have a Pedersoli mid range soule on my Sharps and I love it

No. I dont have a tang or Vernier sight.
Just a cheaper Williams. I can keep them in a pie plate at 150.

Its pretty good but a coyote is pretty small at 200 yards and beyond. If im sitting a long field ill take the scope ruger ranch 223

Hey, what type of groupings are you guys getting at a 100 yards with your iron sights? Pete

I try to avoid shooting groups at 100 yards with iron sights. The limiting factor is the astigmatism in my dominant eye. I could probably shoot a 5" group, but I couldn't repeat it reliably without tossing one here or there. Call it 6".

I came across this video which some may find interesting. I am contemplating a eventual move to a state where I can carry a truck gun. Watching some shows about gun owners in those areas they seem to favor a lever-action in .30-30. But there are some who suggest a pistol-rifle combination in the same caliber. I've been curious how a .30-30 and a .44 Magnum compare.

Paul Harrell compares the two in this video with some pretty interesting, if not unexpected results.

I came across this video which some may find interesting. I am contemplating a eventual move to a state where I can carry a truck gun. Watching some shows about gun owners in those areas they seem to favor a lever-action in .30-30. But there are some who suggest a pistol-rifle combination in the same caliber. I've been curious how a .30-30 and a .44 Magnum compare.

Paul Harrell compares the two in this video with some pretty interesting, if not unexpected results.

Great video. I’m a huge fan of magnum pistol cartridges in lever guns for all the reasons he states.
A 357 can launch a 158 at about 2000 FPS. Having 10 of those in a handy 16” carbine is a lot of firepower bs having what? Four 30/30?
I also prefer to reload a pistol cartridge with carbide dies vs dealing withbottleneck rifle cartridges. Makes it way more fun to blast a few hundred off at the range.

So to summarize, all lever actions rock :)

This past fall we shot the Henry 357 Big Boy through pumpkins. The damage it did to the backside of those things was impressive.

Pete

I was at B&K today to pick up a different gun, but I took the chance to photograph the 1873 there. Turns out the action isn't as heavy as I thought. It's a little harder to rack when the dust cover has to be retracted. I had moved the dust cover forward to see it retract automatically. The metal looks like it could use some TLC, but as you can see, it isn't dinged up or gouged. I didn't inspect the bore. Although I am tempted, I don't see myself getting this, so if it appeals to you, go for it.

1873sm.jpg

Watching some shows about gun owners in those areas they seem to favor a lever-action in .30-30. But there are some who suggest a pistol-rifle combination in the same caliber.

The one concern I would have with a lever action as a truck gun is how easy the gun is to take apart and clean. Most trucks aren't pristine and are full of dust, mud, sand, dirt, pine needles, leaves, snow, etc. InRangeTV did a couple episodes this past year where they dust tested ARs and AKs while driving in "moondust" sand. I would want to make sure the gun's either got a very closed up action, like an AR or a Winchester 1873, or is easy to clean out quickly like a shotgun or a FAL or an AK.

I was at B&K today to pick up a different gun, but I took the chance to photograph the 1873 there. Turns out the action isn't as heavy as I thought. It's a little harder to rack when the dust cover has to be retracted. I had moved the dust cover forward to see it retract automatically. The metal looks like it could use some TLC, but as you can see, it isn't dinged up or gouged. I didn't inspect the bore. Although I am tempted, I don't see myself getting this, so if it appeals to you, go for it.

View attachment 333358

Interesting. What caliber is it and do you know when it was manufactured?

Thanks.

Need some advice regarding the 45-70 bullets. I need to order some because my initial 200 rounds are running low. I learned that with the 405 grain loads I can easily have a soft load as well as one that can knock my wife over. Any advantage or reason to order some 300 grainers? Or just get a few boxes of 405 grain? Thx Pete

Need some advice regarding the 45-70 bullets. I need to order some because my initial 200 rounds are running low. I learned that with the 405 grain loads I can easily have a soft load as well as one that can knock my wife over. Any advantage or reason to order some 300 grainers? Or just get a few boxes of 405 grain? Thx Pete
Flatter shooting I guess but basically you can still do the same thing. I’ve shot some 300 grainers that had some serious sting to the recoil.
If the 300 are 25% less money then go with them until you get into casting.
Might as well some save $$

Slapped on a Primary Arms red dot on the 1894. Made it easier to hit my steel plate at 120 yards. Doesn’t look too bad.
View attachment 333602
I have a bushnell red dot that is not on a gun right now. I am fighting the temptation. I thought about it, but I keep telling myself that it is just wrong. But damn, I bet that really works well.

So here is my justification against it, other than a lever action needs to be iron sights.............. Let's say we are in grizzly country and one comes charging you. Just when you need your gun the most, the red dot doesn't work. Full disclosure; I am not in grizzly country. But hey, you never know :)

I have a bushnell red dot that is not on a gun right now. I am fighting the temptation. I thought about it, but I keep telling myself that it is just wrong. But damn, I bet that really works well.

So here is my justification against it, other than a lever action needs to be iron sights.............. Let's say we are in grizzly country and one comes charging you. Just when you need your gun the most, the red dot doesn't work. Full disclosure; I am not in grizzly country. But hey, you never know :)
I can’t say I disagree with your justification. Mine is just a range gun not a hunting rifle....for now anyway.

Back
Top Bottom