• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Lever Actions (please?)

Lever action thread revival ......

Took out the Henry 357 today. Iron sites, 100 yards. Shooting reloads. Man, that thing is accurate. I am getting better at shooting open sights and really starting to appreciate how much fun this gun can be shooting bench rested. Almost as much fun as shooting 25 yards at steel as fast as reasonably possible.

Still not hitting my eight inch target on every shot, but that's on me since I can barely see the thing. :) Getting close though.
Awesome!
I have a Marlin guide gun in 45/70 showing up tomorrow. Can’t wait to ring some steel

Awesome!
I have a Marlin guide gun in 45/70 showing up tomorrow. Can’t wait to ring some steel

Keep me posted. It has taken me a few different loads to figure out which one would behave best with my 45/70. I am finally getting fairly constant results with 34 grains of IMR3031 (405 grain bullet). I have a max load for it but I can't figure out the accuracy to save my life. It is a hell of a lot of fun to shoot though. I shot that one as well today. Now that I have the sights modified on it (peep and fiber optic on the front) I think I may have the trigger worked a bit. I find the Marlin trigger a bit heavy. I would like to get the same feel as my Henry, which is silky smooth.

Lever action thread revival ......

Took out the Henry 357 today. Iron sites, 100 yards. Shooting reloads. Man, that thing is accurate. I am getting better at shooting open sights and really starting to appreciate how much fun this gun can be shooting bench rested. Almost as much fun as shooting 25 yards at steel as fast as reasonably possible.

Still not hitting my eight inch target on every shot, but that's on me since I can barely see the thing. :) Getting close though.
I found it to be my favorite open site rifle.

Keep me posted. It has taken me a few different loads to figure out which one would behave best with my 45/70. I am finally getting fairly constant results with 34 grains of IMR3031 (405 grain bullet). I have a max load for it but I can't figure out the accuracy to save my life. It is a hell of a lot of fun to shoot though. I shot that one as well today. Now that I have the sights modified on it (peep and fiber optic on the front) I think I may have the trigger worked a bit. I find the Marlin trigger a bit heavy. I would like to get the same feel as my Henry, which is silky smooth.
Will do.
I have always had luck with a 405 and 32 grains of H4198 in my other Marlins.

Nice! It may not be all you. What ammo are you using and how adjustable are those sights? Have you tried zeroing on paper at 25Y yet? I can ring steel reliably with a 22LR at 100Y with irons but not as reliably with my .357 lever (with a similar sight radius). Some of it is the sights on that lever - very limited and jumpy adjustability. Some of it is probably also that the factory .357mag ammo I use for plinking just isn't very accurate. My .308s with decent ammo and irons are fine at that range, though I'd would not expect different (I suppose using GROM would make it worse). :)

Last edited:
First lever gun in the house. She's wanted one forever but we were focused on other style acquisitions. This thing feels very compact and balanced in hand. I've carried my old man's Marlin 44 mag carbine with the straight pistol grip stock many years ago. I wasn't sure about the big lever loop on this 336, but it feels nothing like I'd feared it might (too roomy w/o gloves). I really like the way it handles. And, it's TINY.

Last edited:
First lever gun in the house. She's wanted one forever but we were focused on other style acquisitions. This thing feels very compact and balanced in hand. I've carried my old man's Marlin 44 mag carbine with the straight pistol grip stock many years ago. I wasn't sure about the big lever loop on this 336, but it feels nothing like I'd feared it might (too roomy w/o gloves). I really like the way it handles. And, it's TINY.

336 Dark
View attachment 370229
Nice score! I heard the dark series are hard to find.

Yeah, I'd say it's Big Bore. What caliber is that? 45-70?
How's the recoil?
Will it kill a T Rex?

457 WWG, which is a 45-70 mag, 3000ftlbs of energy at 50yds or some ridiculousness.

There haven't been grizzlies in my area since like 1930... me: "i need a grizzly gun"

Id probably grab my barrett for t-rex

@edmorseiwas talking about big bore levers like a year ago and at the time i called them gay...

Got my WWG Co-Pilot this week lol.View attachment 380720View attachment 380721
Yeah anyone who thinks a 45/70 is Gay must have never shot one.
PS most factory ammo is weak sauce. Get yourself some Buffalo Bore or handload your own if you want to see what it can do.

I load some top end Marlin loads and I can’t think of anyone who wants to shoot more than 3 or 4 of them.

Yeah anyone who thinks a 45/70 is Gay must have never shot one.
PS most factory ammo is weak sauce. Get yourself some Buffalo Bore or handload your own if you want to see what it can do.

I load some top end Marlin loads and I can’t think of anyone who wants to shoot more than 3 or 4 of them.

I mean i definitely think its gay for everything but the small niche role it fills pretty well, putting a ton of energy into something that has a tendency to be stubborn about dying at short range. Other than hiking in bear country or hunting i see little use for it. But guns with big recoil dont really get me off.

I mean i definitely think its gay for everything but the small niche role it fills pretty well, putting a ton of energy into something that has a tendency to be stubborn about dying at short range. Other than hiking in bear country or hunting i see little use for it. But guns with big recoil dont really get me off.
So what you’re saying is you haven’t shot it yet? 😂

Seriously though even as a plinker, hunter or hell, a home defense of a good gun.
It’s like a damn 12 gauge slug.
I have a lever action fetish though. My 1873 is my favorite gun. So fun.

Would like to see Ruger make a comeback with the levers. Want matching .22/.22Mag/357/44/444/45LC all with the same basic layout and hard wood stocks, with good fiber sights available as stock, with easy scope mounting capabilities. On top of that, would like a parallel line of semi-auto (10/22, .357 "Deerfield", .44 "Deerfield").

I'll bet that VERY few have ever seen a folding stock lever action rifle.

Limited Edition Winchester Model 94 Paratrooper PDW

"As requested.

The Paratrooper 94, Limited Edition Personal Defense Weapon.

.44 Magnum

Fits in desk, backpack, saddle scabbard, on the trapline, stuffed in belt… Unnoticed when carried on the Biathlon rig.

Reliable, handy in the home, business or in the field!"

Would like to see Ruger make a comeback with the levers. Want matching .22/.22Mag/357/44/444/45LC all with the same basic layout and hard wood stocks, with good fiber sights available as stock, with easy scope mounting capabilities. On top of that, would like a parallel line of semi-auto (10/22, .357 "Deerfield", .44 "Deerfield").
Your wish may come true.

As the king of impulse purchases of dumb things, I thought I'd post this PSA on a lever gun I've wanted for ages, but am disappointed about in real life. Enter the Chiappa LA322 "Kodiak Cub". QC must be terrible over at Chiappa. First, the good:

Functioned flawlessly for the first 200 rounds of .22. Pleasure to shoot and super fun with the lever. Only had 50' to play with today, but it was easily outperforming my accuracy. Takedown is a huge plus and a motivation for buying, not having to walk out of my Cambridge condo with a rifle case (yes, I know..). About the price of a Goldenboy in our current pricing climate.
20201012_153443.jpg 20201012_153511.jpg

Now, the bad and ugly:

Machining is terrible. I was so giddy after the transfer right at my range that I started shooting even before giving it a really good once-over. Yes, stupid, but I never claimed to be smart.

Lip bulge on curved section of receiver joint.
20201012_153304.jpg

Over milling on takedown screw hole.
20201012_153351.jpg

C'mon...look at that screw mill. Also light pitting on receiver on a brand new gun.
20201012_153357.jpg

Chroming finish issue? (look at weird bulge on the lever), plus pitting, scratches, and general sh*tty finish.
20201012_153341.jpg

Again, I realize this is a takedown and, as such, fit won't be perfect, but look at that joint and the varying degrees of fit tolerance. This is more of a superficial issue, as the surface does not play into the integrity of the functioning joint, but still.......take some pride in your work Chiappa.
20201012_153423.jpg

Anyway, I think I'm kicking myself for not going Goldenboy now. This is all cosmetic for the most part, but still--new gun. For you Goldenboy owners: Ever see anything like this?

As the king of impulse purchases of dumb things, I thought I'd post this PSA on a lever gun I've wanted for ages, but am disappointed about in real life. Enter the Chiappa LA322 "Kodiak Cub". QC must be terrible over at Chiappa. First, the good:

Functioned flawlessly for the first 200 rounds of .22. Pleasure to shoot and super fun with the lever. Only had 50' to play with today, but it was easily outperforming my accuracy. Takedown is a huge plus and a motivation for buying, not having to walk out of my Cambridge condo with a rifle case (yes, I know..). About the price of a Goldenboy in our current pricing climate.
View attachment 399118View attachment 399119

Now, the bad and ugly:

Machining is terrible. I was so giddy after the transfer right at my range that I started shooting even before giving it a really good once-over. Yes, stupid, but I never claimed to be smart.

Lip bulge on curved section of receiver joint.
View attachment 399120

Over milling on takedown screw hole.
View attachment 399122

C'mon...look at that screw mill. Also light pitting on receiver on a brand new gun.
View attachment 399123

Chroming finish issue? (look at weird bulge on the lever), plus pitting, scratches, and general sh*tty finish.
View attachment 399124

Again, I realize this is a takedown and, as such, fit won't be perfect, but look at that joint and the varying degrees of fit tolerance. This is more of a superficial issue, as the surface does not play into the integrity of the functioning joint, but still.......take some pride in your work Chiappa.
View attachment 399125

Anyway, I think I'm kicking myself for not going Goldenboy now. This is all cosmetic for the most part, but still--new gun. For you Goldenboy owners: Ever see anything like this?
Ouch. I would have went for an old Marlin 39 any day.
You scored a cool gun for sure and I hope the price was right but comparing the fit and finish to a 1940s/50s/70s Marlins I’ve handled and or owned that is ugly.
Marlin receivers have hairline mating surfaces on their take downs.

Ouch. I would have went for an old Marlin 39 any day.
You scored a cool gun for sure and I hope the price was right but comparing the fit and finish to a 1940s/50s/70s Marlins I’ve handled and or owned that is ugly.
Marlin receivers have hairline mating surfaces on their take downs.

Thanks. I briefly checked Marlin 39, but didn't immediately find one. I should have just kept at that search. Anyway, it is still fun and functions, but takes a bit of wind out of the new gun sails with all these blems.

Thanks. I briefly checked Marlin 39, but didn't immediately find one. I should have just kept at that search. Anyway, it is still fun and functions, but takes a bit of wind out of the new gun sails with all these blems.
Yeah sounds like it’s one hell of a fun gun anyway. Don’t let the looks bother you. You won’t feel bad beating around the woods with it or if you drop it at the range. As long as it works well.

Back
Top Bottom