• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

School me on Lever Actions (please?)

So we got into the action pit today. Did not bring the 45-70 but we did bring the Henry Big Boy 357. Set up four steel plates and stood about 25 yards away. Those round nose cowboy bullets I reloaded for 357 and 38sp were as smooth as butter. I am getting the hang of keeping the gun on the shoulder and somewhat on the steel as I swing the lever and feed the next cartridge. Way too much fun. Everybody who shoots that gun just loves it, especially the 38sp.

I've said it before and I will say it again. The 357 pushed near max load is legit through a rifle. Wow. My 2x4 stands with the the 8 inch steel plates definitely felt it.

Let's say we are in grizzly country and one comes charging you. Just when you need your gun the most, the red dot doesn't work.

We could go both ways with that. The rear sight is not going to be of much use when a grizzly is charging for real at 35 mph. You're going to have to make a snap shot based on shouldering the rifle and finding the front sight, with little or no time at all to align it with the rear sight. If you have a red dot, and it doesn't work, but you can still see through it, you aren't that much worse off just centering your target in the tube.. If it does work, however, you're much better off, since acquisition is much quicker, and much more precise, sight alignment being a non-issue. The only time I would think you are substantially worse off is when the red dot is fogged up.

For me, though, red dots on long guns and recreational shooting don't mix very well. To me the red dot is super practical but not much fun to use. It's why I took the red dot off my Henry and decided to drill and tap it for a tang sight. That's way more fun, for me, but for a charging grizzly? Yeah, I'm going to have to go red dot there.

Just a thought here regarding defensive weaponry and sighting options, bearing in mind the opinion is coming from someone (me) who grew up reading the likes of Jim Wilson, Masad Ayoob, Elmer Kieth, Ed McGivern, and others.
If you are carrying a weapon for personal defense you should be able to hit a target at a defensive range of distance without the use of the sights. Using your weapon should be second nature and feel as an extension of your arms. When I am practicing with one of my defense guns, I don't even notice the sights. And I consider a pistol as a tool to fight my way back to a proper weapon, my rifle. Said rifle being my Marlin 336. With the Marlin I hit a 6" plate at 50 yards consistently without the rear sight attached. With my 12 Guage I shoot trap and do not have time to sight the gun. I point and it busts clays.
If you have a threat and it's bearing down on you from 50 yards you have precious few seconds to react and fiddle f***ing with sights is too costly. This of course is my humble opinion, never having to use a weapon in self defense.
All that being said, when I am shooting silhouette out to 300 yards with the Marlin, it's sporting a 4x Redfield. Sometimes accuracy is important.

Would love to find one of these:
wm_2198063.jpg

Why can't they make basic rifles any more, using real wood and steel? Does not need to be "fancy", just basic, but solid and nice.

Can any company take one of these old designs and start making them again?

Flatter shooting I guess but basically you can still do the same thing. I’ve shot some 300 grainers that had some serious sting to the recoil.
If the 300 are 25% less money then go with them until you get into casting.
Might as well some save $$
I use the laser cast 300 grainers. They work fine dont lead up the bore too much.

Great video. I’m a huge fan of magnum pistol cartridges in lever guns for all the reasons he states.
A 357 can launch a 158 at about 2000 FPS. Having 10 of those in a handy 16” carbine is a lot of firepower bs having what? Four 30/30?
I also prefer to reload a pistol cartridge with carbide dies vs dealing withbottleneck rifle cartridges. Makes it way more fun to blast a few hundred off at the range.
Same here. Shorter throw quicker action, easier to reload.

Its one of the reasons I just got my Marlin 1894c and love it. Shoots 357 mag awesome soft recoil fast handling. I can see another 1894 in 44 mag on the horizon. Add to that the Marlin/Remlin quality is really back. My 4th Remiln and all have been great in fit finish and for wood quality, actually better than the old ones in grain and beauty.

Same here. Shorter throw quicker action, easier to reload.

Its one of the reasons I just got my Marlin 1894c and love it. Shoots 357 mag awesome soft recoil fast handling. I can see another 1894 in 44 mag on the horizon. Add to that the Marlin/Remlin quality is really back. My 4th Remiln and all have been great in fit finish and for wood quality, actually better than the old ones in grain and beauty.
You’re making me want to buy a new Remlin for the heck of it.
I might consider an 1895CB or even better the 1895CBA which I really like.

Just a thought here regarding defensive weaponry and sighting options, bearing in mind the opinion is coming from someone (me) who grew up reading the likes of Jim Wilson, Masad Ayoob, Elmer Kieth, Ed McGivern, and others.
If you are carrying a weapon for personal defense you should be able to hit a target at a defensive range of distance without the use of the sights. Using your weapon should be second nature and feel as an extension of your arms. When I am practicing with one of my defense guns, I don't even notice the sights. And I consider a pistol as a tool to fight my way back to a proper weapon, my rifle. Said rifle being my Marlin 336. With the Marlin I hit a 6" plate at 50 yards consistently without the rear sight attached. With my 12 Guage I shoot trap and do not have time to sight the gun. I point and it busts clays.
If you have a threat and it's bearing down on you from 50 yards you have precious few seconds to react and fiddle f***ing with sights is too costly. This of course is my humble opinion, never having to use a weapon in self defense.
All that being said, when I am shooting silhouette out to 300 yards with the Marlin, it's sporting a 4x Redfield. Sometimes accuracy is important.

I haven't been in griz country, but I have spent a fair amount of time in black bear territory. Fifty yards is like the maximum distance when thinking of self-defense against critters. The only time in the woods where you'll be seeing fifty yards around you is if you're in a field, spread-out trees, low-lying brush, or on a trail or road.

I hiked up Mt. Moosilaukee via the Carriage Road Trail back in 2018. The Carriage Road Trail is, as the name suggests, an old road that horse-drawn carriages used in the 19th Century to bring tourists to a hotel that existed on the mountain and is thus wide and flat. Early on the hike, when the trail was pretty flat and you could see down it a fair ways, I saw a black bear cub in the trail. The cub was facing the opposite direction and eventually walked up the trail and went off into the woods. The cub was probably thirty to sixty yards away. Put it this way, out of normal pistol range.

I'd say that situation isn't typical for two reasons. One, I was on a particularly flat, wide, and clear trail that isn't typical in bear country. Two, grizzlies charge, black bears don't normally.

Fifteen yards away:

Expect the Unexpected: When Grizzly Bears Charge

This is probably ten to fifteen yards away, go to 0:32-0:35:

This one is pretty far away:

1582530889161.png

It's Better to Shoot a Charging Grizzly Bear With Your Gun Than Your Phone

So ten to fifty yards seems typical for griz charges and attacks.

That all being said, I agree that sights are superfluous in a "Its heading right for us!" situation, but a modern red dot is going to be low enough and small enough and mounted hopefully properly so you can achieve co-witness with the iron sights. So in the precise event of shouldering a rifle or shotgun with sights, and there isn't any dot, you can still see the front sight. Personally, I wouldn't have any problem putting a red dot on a .45-70 lever action for use in griz country. I would just make very sure to remember to change the batteries when needed and to see what happens when I shoot with irons and the dot off and mounted. If anything, a griz charge is probably one of the situations where a red dot would be great because the dot is right there in the middle of the optic and the bear is going to be big enough of a target. Its a bear, not like shooting a clay pigeon with a rifle at 100 yards. That's a big target.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody here a proud owner of a Henry Long Ranger? I do not own a 223 yet. Always figured it would be another Tikka bolt action (like my 308), but I gotta say those Henrys look pretty darn sweet. Seem just as accurate as any bolt action out there. Pete
My buddy bought a LR in 308 last year for deer hunting. I shot it a few times and it was pretty nice and accurate.

Anybody here a proud owner of a Henry Long Ranger? I do not own a 223 yet. Always figured it would be another Tikka bolt action (like my 308), but I gotta say those Henrys look pretty darn sweet. Seem just as accurate as any bolt action out there. Pete

If memory serves, @The5thDentist became a proud owner of the Long Ranger in .223 at the last Henry group by I ran.

I would love to get a Henry in this configuration (black stained wood, curved grip, and stainless), but in .22 Mag:
H010AW-Wright-Motorsports-Main-1800x392.jpg

From what I can find on their website, this is the only .22 Mag one they have:
H001M-Large-scaled.jpg

I would love to get a Henry in this configuration (black stained wood, curved grip, and stainless), but in .22 Mag:
H010AW-Wright-Motorsports-Main-1800x392.jpg

From what I can find on their website, this is the only .22 Mag one they have:
H001M-Large-scaled.jpg

I have been eye-balling their 22s. Was thinking of the classic. Then my wife saw me on the website and noticed the Silver Eagle. Uggh.

H004SE-Silver-Eagle-Hero-1-scaled.jpg

Guys, is there any illogical reason not to purchase that wonderfully shiny and engraved 22 and just go with the run of the mill Henry 22 classic?

Challenging to parse. Does there exist an ILLOGICAL reason NOT to buy the engraved one? I should think so. For example, you might say that the engraving will cause a reduction in accuracy. That's illogical. Actually the only reasons I can think of to purchase an engraved one are 1) you want to admire it while you're not shooting it, 2) you want to impress somebody, or 3) it's a gift and you want to dress it up some. But just between us shooters, I'd rather spend the extra money on my next firearm purchase, or on components, or anything other than on an artistically carved receiver. Mind that you either like the sights or have a plan to replace them, though. I don't like most of the stock Henry sight options.

Challenging to parse. Does there exist an ILLOGICAL reason NOT to buy the engraved one? I should think so. For example, you might say that the engraving will cause a reduction in accuracy. That's illogical. Actually the only reasons I can think of to purchase an engraved one are 1) you want to admire it while you're not shooting it, 2) you want to impress somebody, or 3) it's a gift and you want to dress it up some. But just between us shooters, I'd rather spend the extra money on my next firearm purchase, or on components, or anything other than on an artistically carved receiver. Mind that you either like the sights or have a plan to replace them, though. I don't like most of the stock Henry sight options.
Ya but my wife like it. That is a free ticket to purchase a gun. That right there pretty much trumps everything right? :)

Ya but my wife like it. That is a free ticket to purchase a gun. That right there pretty much trumps everything right? :)

Yes, indeed. The thought had occurred. When I got my LTC in MA and bought my first gun after a long hiatus from shooting, I bought a Henry Big Boy with a brass receiver because I figured it would go over well with her, a lot better than any freedom rifle. It worked. Of course now she's worn down to the point where she doesn't care as long as I'm bringing in the dough to cover this stuff, but in the beginning, it mattered.

I am wondering if that "silver" rifle is stainless or chrome. Anyone know?

Anyhow, the combo I seek does not exist, unless someone can point it to me: stainless, black (or any) wood, curved grip, .22 Mag.

Thanks.

Do it. It’s so much fun shooting them.

Eyeing this one. Checks all the boxes.

I am wondering if that "silver" rifle is stainless or chrome. Anyone know?

Anyhow, the combo I seek does not exist, unless someone can point it to me: stainless, black (or any) wood, curved grip, .22 Mag.

Thanks.
Sorry to quote myself, but even if not a Henry, is there anyone who makes one of these?

How about a clone of the JC Higgins model 44M I posted earlier? Or the Ruger lever action .22 Mag (96-22?)?

Yes, but I haven't used it yet.

However, now that I have shitloads of time on my hands thanks to Coronavirus, I'll have to get her out and shoot.

Lever action thread revival ......

Took out the Henry 357 today. Iron sites, 100 yards. Shooting reloads. Man, that thing is accurate. I am getting better at shooting open sights and really starting to appreciate how much fun this gun can be shooting bench rested. Almost as much fun as shooting 25 yards at steel as fast as reasonably possible.

Still not hitting my eight inch target on every shot, but that's on me since I can barely see the thing. :) Getting close though.

Back
Top Bottom