School Me On Spotting Scopes

I am in the market for a spotting scope, yet not sure what works the best. I've tried both straight and angled and can't figure out which works best for me.

Considering I would be shooting prone. I would think that the angles works however if I have a spotter, wouldn't straight work better? What is a good size both in zoom and lens size?

Topic was recently covered so do a search. There was some good info on the questions and what to expect for the money I chose to go a little less than middle of the road (very rare for me) for a starting point. I picked the Konuspot 80. My past experience with indoor shooting had me get the angled. It it doesn't work I'll upgrade.

been here not to long ago

think eye relief most spotting scopes suck for eye relief. If you have to lift your glasses to see through the eye piece you dont have enough. You will want the angled eye piece for shooting positions but just as important is there a rotating ring on the body. Dont be fooled by magnification alone. Many scopes over 30x the eye relief is horrible and the clarity and resolution fall off quickly

The Konus 20x60x80 served me well for shooting cmp and NRA high power decent eye relief and pretty clear glass. Was stolen so I replaced it
Celestron M80 LER with a fixed 27 long eye relief about 1" which is very good. I can see 30 cal holes with ease at 200 and 22 holes with good light at 200.

If your not competing and want to see your holes look into the target camera set ups. For 500-1000$ they will see any hole that your spotting scope can not see
The Kowa scopes are very very nice and if I had 1k plus I might have bought that instead of the Celestron.

Also a pole stand is a must if your shooting prone and want to get the scope close so you dont want to get out of position. I have the creedmore polecat set up

Back
Top Bottom