• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

spotting scope

wjsmall97

NES Member
I am looking for a spotting scope for target shooting. I have tried using binoculars, but they don't cut it at 200 yards.
I am looking at about the $600 range. I may also be using it to hunt in Alaska.
Looking at a Leupold sx2 20 x 60x 80. Anyone have any experience with this class of scopes or hunting in Alaska.

I am looking for a spotting scope for target shooting. I have tried using binoculars, but they don't cut it at 200 yards.
I am looking at about the $600 range. I may also be using it to hunt in Alaska.
Looking at a Leupold sx2 20 x 60x 80. Anyone have any experience with this class of scopes or hunting in Alaska.
You should first check if you qualify for any discounts available on the ExpertVoice website. That could save you up to 40% off retail on some brands. I have 2 Vortex spotting scopes that I am happy with.

Kowa - Advise you spend the $$ on glass quality, NOT on a variable … or maximum mag power!

I can see 22-cal bullet holes at a distance with my fixed power 24X Unertl or 25X Kowa TSN662 that others can’t see with higher magnification variables.

I keep a USAF Optical Resolution Chart in my shooting bag and I’ll post it up on a target at a distance to compare the quality, clarity and resolution of spotting scopes and rifle scopes with others. PDFs of that chart are available online for free.

I actually have 2 Unertl spotting scopes to sell … 20X and 24X, but would advise them for range use only, just due to their age only.

I ordered one of these last week. Looks like they have more inventory coming, hopefully at the same price point. I can’t give you a first hand review since it hasn’t show up yet but the reviews on Larry’s site and elsewhere seem to be good for out to 300 yards. I am a happy with all my other vortex’s products and you can’t beat the warranty. At the price point I would rather gamble in a well known brand name than a something from Amazon, so I figured why not. I think the price cut is because it’s not the current “HD” model. It’s also sold as a “limited distribution” since it’s an 80mm objective lenses vs the more common 85mmm. Pretty sure that’s just a marketing thing.

EuroOptic is a good source for things like this. Get on their mailing list, they are always having decent sales. Kenzies Optics is another good place to check.

Glass quality is more important than magnification, get the best glass you can afford, that's all I've got

Back
Top Bottom