• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sheath Thread / What’s good or what’s garbage

cams

NES Member
Let’s see some pics or hear about some of your knife (fixed or folder) or machete sheaths that came with your blade or ones that you had made for it. Good, What you liked or didn’t.

I have 3 knives right now that need something better and I’ve only bought one aftermarket sheath that I can think of, always just used what came with it, but lately there’s been some really poorly made and poorly fitting sheaths that aren’t worthy of the blade.

My first is the old Cold Steel Recon Tanto, still using the original sheath it came in and it’s actually in great shape at like 30yrs old, but still only uses the very common and outdated belt slide type attachment and having it on my fun belt leaves me hating that I’d have to take the entire thing apart to remove the sheath.

7DDB8AF9-A42A-408F-A241-99CB03923350.jpeg

2FD92A5A-D276-4BE9-95BC-ECC1B34DA257.jpeg

Second is a knife from Skallywag Tactical, beautiful knife. Terrible sheath and cheap chinese belt mount that isn’t worth the plastic used to make it. The belt attachment doesn’t even fit anything outside of some really slim dress type belt.

I contacted ST and asked them about the cheap quality of their sheath/belt attachment and was told that they agree, but that they’d never be able to please everyone no matter what type of set up they sent with their blades. I can agree with that but I’d rather send nothing than some garbage that immediately takes away from the entire shop. Charge me 20.00 less and just send the knife.

This is what came with it;

57AAEDBC-CA25-49B9-9020-721B4A092DB0.jpeg 888DA149-224D-4751-9BE5-DAE5D29AEC62.jpeg

The sheath fits well, no rattle and easy enough for the draw from their fitment. But there’s no attachment points besides the chinese garbage clip that doesn’t even fit a regular pants belt. It’s like a 1/2” to short and won’t even close. lol

Also, the holes in the sheath aren’t the usual 1” apart from each other like most kydex sheaths have these days, which then takes away from any GP (general purpose) type aftermarket attachment points. Can’t win. The entire package is kind of useless.

I bought an aftermarket sheath for this knife from Spec-Ops Brand (made in the USA) and is listed as a generally close fit depending on blade length. This one was about $40.00.

It’s very well made and looks like it’ll last a lifetime but there’s still things that suck about it.

Good: Belt attachments on it are great. General quality is great.

Bad: the fit is mehhhh, it stays secure while snapped shut. Once the snap is opened the blade is very loosely fit in there and rattles like crazy. You can see the large oval opening for the blade and all the open space it leaves to rattle around.

The front accessory pocket is cool, but it’s very deep/long, which limits what you can actually carry in there. It fits a G45 mag perfectly, but with the knife still sheathed, you can’t pull anything out of the pouch due to the snap closer around the knife handle. It’s in the way and doesn’t allow pulling items out of the pouch. Wtfo?

CDE91279-5FAA-41F7-8D3A-7552AD9051AD.jpeg 87D8559D-1A5D-4E0A-BF64-E9121E978797.jpeg 114E2D32-4865-4C30-A565-B50BD53CA7F3.jpeg 0E3E6F46-1186-428A-8A3B-3E4AE5D771F3.jpeg A163D706-E944-4F60-988F-D13E393BC0DC.jpeg

Last edited:
Last but not least on my list of shitty sheaths is for my ESEE PR4, good leather, well made, but it sits far too deep and is too tight fitting for a GP camp knife that you’ll be using and sheathing often for simple tasks. That type of sheath should be simple and easy to use one handed without even having to look down at it so you don’t need two hands to draw it out for a task.

Stock photo:
B1B8BBB4-DA04-4C3E-B878-0F257D67468D.jpeg

For the PR4, this looks nice.
ESEE PR4 - Randall Sheath
PR4_Randall_1__27559.1574718361.JPG

I was digging into this company last night for sheaths and attachment points and they appear to be very high quality, really liking what I see there but haven’t purchased yet.

Love their PR4 sheath here;
7473A32C-D3D2-4DB2-AA8F-2D8D0C5F0150.png

And was thinking this attachment point would work great for the SkallyWag but again the holes in their (SW’s) kydex sheath would prevent using this adapter due to distance between holes.

8D9F5638-2450-4896-B96B-71F6611EC91B.png

The struggle is real when trying to purchase, or adapt some of the garbage being put out as sheaths for actual quality made blades. 🤷‍♂️

As to sheaths, I usually use the original that came with it. If leather, I maintain it by cleaning/oiling. Never been a custom sheath guy.
I do appreciate the craftmanship of a leather sheath that has been personalized. Kydex, while nice is never quite as sexy...

That carbon fiber looks nice...

and the stitching on the PR4 sheath looks bulletproof.

This looks well made too, but the way it "hugs" the scales looks like it would be a Titanic effort to draw, especially in wet conditions...
Handsome though. Love that chocolate brown.
PR4_Bushcraft__45730.1574738335.JPG

This looks well made too, but the way it "hugs" the scales looks like it would be a Titanic effort to draw, especially in wet conditions...
Handsome though. Love that chocolate brown.
PR4_Bushcraft__45730.1574738335.JPG
Exactly my thoughts on that one as well.

This company deep treats their leather inside and out to help ward off corrosion of the blade and uses some kind of real nice saddle quality leather. They really do look bulletproof.

Personally I’m not a big fan of kydex for blades. If you ever need to take it out slowly and quietly it kinda sucks for any noise discipline.

Exactly my thoughts on that one as well.

This company deep treats their leather inside and out to help ward off corrosion of the blade and uses some kind of real nice saddle quality leather. They really do look bulletproof.

Bet he could make some beautiful gunleather, but his site looks like knife only... and some pouches.

@enbloc in one of the reviews I read there there was a customer who had a matching holster made for pistol and knife. Said it was gorgeous. Maybe one offs depending on cost.

@enbloc in one of the reviews I read there there was a customer who had a matching holster made for pistol and knife. Said it was gorgeous. Maybe one offs depending on cost.
Yeah, the gunleather market must be a bitch for small craftsmen. The diversity of models/barrel length/accessories would give me an ulcer...

I found a KA-BAR in the field and finally got round to ordering a sheath for it from Amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B000Q9C9B8View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q9C9B8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The trapezoid friction fit wedge was really tight, but after some work with a hairdryer it loosened up enough to be functional.
The snap closure is OK, but unnecessary with the friction wedge.
The big tri-glide isn't exactly what I need, so I'll have to figure something else out.
Like mentioned earlier, the rivets are spaced where they don't align with most accessories.
I have a ferro rod for this sheath, but still need to install it.
The rectangular openings should have enough free play to add the ferro rod, despite the poorly spaced rivets.

old Ka Bar before.jpg

I cleaned up the KA-BAR and painted the sheath.

old ka bar after.jpg

This is a SOG Government Agent knife.
I don't think this is the sheath that goes with it, but it is the one that it came with.
I removed the snap closure as the friction holder that holds the hilt is very useable.
This has been my go-to field knife for many years.
I normally carry this knife on a strap from my Hill People Gear Kit Bag (pictured below)

SOG Government Agent sheath before.jpg

Recently painted this sheath also.

SOG Government Agent outside camo sheath.jpg

Strap of HPG Kit Bag fed through knife sheath.

Andy axe hatchet knife (2).JPG

Back in the day after potentially surviving a helo crash, falling off a small boat, or escaping a sinking AAV and dumping most of my gear, I wanted to have a survival kit still attached to my body.
I used a cutdown, empty 40mm signal flare and taped it to my KA-BAR sheath.
There is a small pocket on the back that holds a signal mirror.
The flare body is wrapped with 550 cord and a bit of extra riggers tape.
I repurposed an ALICE pack waist belt to help keep the sheath below my warbelt.
This idea was submitted to Rick Tscherne and was published in The Ranger Digest III, pages 10 & 11 (artwork not mine).

Survival KA-BAR .jpg

The inside of the flare tube fit photo roll containers (dating myself) really well and allowed me to organize the typical survival items.
One of the film canisters is wrapped with fishing line.
The other is wrapped with snare wire.

Survival KA-BAR detailed contents.jpg

Here is a photo of the prototype on a field exercise in the Sechura Desert of Peru, August 1990.

ALICE pack desert peru.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the day after surviving a helo crash, falling off a small boat, or escaping a sinking AAV and dumping most of my gear, I wanted to have a survival kit still attached to my body.
I used a cutdown, empty 40mm signal flare and taped it to my KA-BAR sheath.
There is a small pocket on the back that holds a signal mirror.
The flare body is wrapped with 550 cord and a bit of extra riggers tape.
I repurposed an ALICE pack waist belt to help keep the sheath below my warbelt.
This idea was submitted to Rick Tscherne and was published in The Ranger Digest III, pages 10 & 11 (artwork not mine).

View attachment 549094

The inside of the flare tube fit photo roll containers (dating myself) really well and allowed me to organize the typical survival items.

View attachment 549096

Here is a photo of the prototype on a field exercise in the Sechura Desert of Peru, August 1990.

View attachment 549101
That’s all awesome stuff posted ^^ there. Great paint jobs too and tweaking your gear to work. I smiled seeing all the old black safety pins, tape and 550, worth it’s weight in gold. And being stored in a flare tube was the icing. Very cool.

Just ordered a Marttiini Timberjack knife, as it seems to fit my need for a new knife perfectly. The knife seems great, but the sheath is a piece of hot garbage. Watching this thread now for good ideas for a replacement.

Don’t know if RK has been mentioned. Simple and to the point.

I have a Arclite Cuda Neck Knife.
The neck knife method didn't work out for me, so I repurposed the it as a boot knife.
To one side of the sheath I added some skateboard tape to provide friction against the boot.
On the other side I applied some suede leather for comfort against my skin.
Being what is is, the grip of the knife isn't the most comfortable or functional.
I've considered wrapping the grip with cordage or maybe coating it with Plasti Dip.

Cuda Arclite neck boot knife left side .jpg

When the knife isn't being worn with boots, it rides in my center console.

Cuda Arclite console.jpg

I have a Arclite Cuda Neck Knife.
The neck knife method didn't work out for me, so I repurposed the it as a boot knife.
To one side of the sheath I added some skateboard tape to provide friction against the boot.
On the other side I applied some suede leather for comfort against my skin.
Being what is is, the grip of the knife isn't the most comfortable or functional.
I've considered wrapping the grip with cordage or maybe coating it with Plasti Dip.

View attachment 553530

When the knife isn't being worn with boots, it rides in my center console.

View attachment 553531
Maybe add some fine grit sand to the plasti Dip?

Skeletonized knives are well-suited to paracord wrapping. If you go this route try it with the inner strands removed for a strong, but flatter weave...

but, my guess is that you've already considered this... 🤔

1639921860264.png

but, my guess is that you've already considered this... 🤔
I have considered something like that, but I just have not taken the time to research/learn how to do it yet.
The picture and suggestion you provided gave me a little bit more inspiration.
Thanks.

I have considered something like that, but I just have not taken the time to research/learn how to do it yet.
The picture and suggestion you provided gave me a little bit more inspiration.
Thanks.
Rawhide lace works and looks good too...
lace it the same way as paracord.
1639939374484.png

What is this wrap called?
Not sure what search criteria to use.

West Country Whipping Knot​

One of the easiest to start with and great for beginners.
When tying knots, try and keep the tightness pressure all the same for a more uniform look...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom