Shipping "firearms"

When sending a handgun overnight via common carrier (e.g., FedEx, UPS), what are the legalities regarding the description of the contents? More particularly, is it better to describe the contents as a “firearm” or as “fitted machine parts,” or some other euphemism? Are there any restrictions on describing the contents?

I've sent a few via FedEx and I never described the content beyond maybe a "firearm". It was never a detailed description. But my FedEx up here is great to work with when shipping those items. They are actually helpful.

When sending a handgun overnight via common carrier (e.g., FedEx, UPS), what are the legalities regarding the description of the contents? More particularly, is it better to describe the contents as a “firearm” or as “fitted machine parts,” or some other euphemism? Are there any restrictions on describing the contents?

Federal law requires that you inform the common carrier that it is a gun.

From the ATF faq:
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922(a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

I've always shipped handguns next day - overnight with FedEx to FFLs out of state.

Does anyone know if it has to go next day with FedEx?
looking at legal options to save some monies.

Google is your friend. FedEx requires that you use next day:

#
# Firearms. FedEx will only accept shipments of firearms when either the shipper or recipient is a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, licensed dealer or licensed collector and is not prohibited from making such shipments by federal, state or local regulations when these conditions are met. FedEx will accept and deliver firearms between all areas served in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.

Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight and may not be sent C.O.D. Upon presenting the package for shipment, the shipper is required to inform FedEx that the package contains a firearm. Firearms may not be shipped in one complete piece. When tendered for shipment, the firearm must be rendered inoperable, either by removing the firing pin in the gun and disconnecting the barrel, or by some other means so the package does not contain a completely assembled, usable weapon. The outside of the package should bear no label, marking, or other written notice that a firearm is contained within. This includes the abbreviation of the name of the shipper or recipient if the name would clearly indicate that the package could contain a firearm. Firearms and ammunition may not be shipped in the same package. Ammunition is always an explosive and must be shipped as Dangerous Goods. Signature release is not available for shipments containing firearms.

The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws including those pertaining to labeling. The local division office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) can provide assistance with the packaging and shipment of firearms.

Full text is here:

https://www.fedex.com/us/services/termsandconditions/restrictions.html

NO "law" requires shipment by "next day air". That is a "rule" by FedEx and UPS to extort the most amount of money out of us, with the sorry excuse that their own employees were stealing the guns, they can't control it, so we should have to pay extra to keep the gun "in their insecure system" for a shorter period of time (theory being it gives less opportunity for employee theft).

Many have told me that they have shipped handguns at the cheapest (latest) delivery next day to cut the fees down. No law is broken by doing this.

Unless you are a dealer, all handguns must go via UPS or FedEx per Fed Law (USPO can't be used by non-dealers). Long guns can go USPO, UPS or FedEx Ground by Fed Law . . . can be shipped by anyone, must ship to FFL/mfr if being shipped across state lines. [NOTE: C&R FFLs can NOT ship handguns by USPO per Fed Law.]

ETA: You MUST notify them that it is a firearm (Fed Law). They are PROHIBITED from marking the outside of the package as such (Fed Law)! NO Law requires that you provide the shipper with a copy of the recipient's FFL (most dealers/mfrs won't give it to a non-FFL anyway), although some shippers demand it. You MUST ship from a FedEx/UPS depot, NOT a storefront (no FedEx/Kinkos, MailBoxes, Etc.) . . . I think this is Fed Law but it might be a "rule" (unsure). [Worth mentioning: DHL company rules prohibit shipment of any guns, that's why they aren't mentioned above.]

Last edited:
Most companies that deal with gun shipments have a special "address" to use that doesn't scream GUN. For example, S&W use SAW as the addressee. North American Arms usually goes by NAA, so when I shipped there the woman recommended "North AA Chapter". I thought that was hilarious. The drivers who do the gun routes must get a kick out of the names at times.

Back
Top Bottom