Shooting/Training and Gun Videos, post them here.

If you move your left hand up to your stomach at the beep instead of waiting until your right hand hits the gun...you'll knock off a few tenths on your draw

You have truly perfected the magflip:
I am curious for your reason behind the magflip in rifle reloads? Just holding the rifle vertical and releasing the magazine, in spec magazine will have no trouble leaving the well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am curious for your reason behind the magflip in rifle reloads? Just holding the rifle vertical and releasing the magazine, in spec magazine will have no trouble leaving the well.

I am turning the gun to check the chamber for jams/malfunctions. I know I can feel the recoil change on an empty gun, but sometimes a jam can feel the same. I would rather check the gun and clear a jam instead of automatically ditch the ammo.

As for the roll to ditch the mag, have you ever shot your gun in the mud and the rain? An in spec mag doesn't always drop free after your mag well gets mud and dirt in it. I was shooting in the rain very recently experiencing just that. Especially after running reload drills where your mags land in the mud constantly.

- - - Updated - - -

Dan's a great shooter. Always a good day watching him operate. You should post that 6x6x6 drill Dan. You killed that one. I have the link if you don't

I don't have the link, but you are welcome to post it.

Last edited:
I am turning the gun to check the chamber for jams/malfunctions. I know I can feel the recoil change on an empty gun, but sometimes a jam can feel the same. I would rather check the gun and clear a jam instead of automatically ditch the ammo.

That was the line from the video. However, I noticed your rifle also has a DBAL family device with IR capability? How well can you see inside the chamber when wearing NVGs?

As for the roll to ditch the mag, have you ever shot your gun in the mud and the rain? An in spec mag doesn't always drop free after your mag well gets mud and dirt in it. I was shooting in the rain very recently experiencing just that. Especially after running reload drills where your mags land in the mud constantly.

When encountering a stuck magazine, I pull it out with my off hand that's bringing the fresh magazine to the rifle.

That was the line from the video. However, I noticed your rifle also has a DBAL family device with IR capability? How well can you see inside the chamber when wearing NVGs?

Just because its a line in a funny video doesn't make it not a viable technique. As for the DBAL, yes it has IR, and no the technique doesn't work for shit with NV. Just because it doesn't work at night doesn't mean I can't use it during the day.

When encountering a stuck magazine, I pull it out with my off hand that's bringing the fresh magazine to the rifle.

You make it sound like there is only one way to do everything. Different situations can call for different methods. I too will pull the mag out manually if the reload calls for it.

Fingerbang_a62d87_520705.jpg

pretty terrible video of a night shoot i did with some tier 1 immature operators.

A bunch of us shot in the Old Colony IDPA match in 9 degree temps Saturday. This is me, and yes I know I suck. Second year shooting and I have a long way to go, but 32 of us had a good time freezing our nuts off.
[video=youtube_share;11dYZKyuHqA]http://youtu.be/11dYZKyuHqA[/video]

How the hell did I miss this thread before?

I'm also now using the flip technique. I've found it invaluable while training in the snow as it's very common for a mag to freeze in the well.

Here's a mag change drill from a little after I first started using it. A few fumbles in there.

I don't use the flip technique, but that's just me. I don't think it's a big problem one way or another, but it just doesn't fit into how I try to move across different weapons (whooops... I called it a weapon). I know the argument of checking the chamber, but to be honest, when I was doing it... I was moving too fast to accomplish that task anyways. I just use my support hand to give it a tug on my way back to picking up new magazine if things start binding up.

Mag flip... no mag flip... who cares? Unless you're trying to shave off tenths of seconds for your 3 gun championship run, do what consistently works for you.

I've gone to a trigger finger mag release on my pistols, and I drop the slide with my support side thumb after seating magazine... so who am I to shit on anyone's style. LOL

I don't use the flip technique, but that's just me. I don't think it's a big problem one way or another, but it just doesn't fit into how I try to move across different weapons (whooops... I called it a weapon). I know the argument of checking the chamber, but to be honest, when I was doing it... I was moving too fast to accomplish that task anyways. I just use my support hand to give it a tug on my way back to picking up new magazine if things start binding up.

Mag flip... no mag flip... who cares? Unless you're trying to shave off tenths of seconds for your 3 gun championship run, do what consistently works for you.

I've gone to a trigger finger mag release on my pistols, and I drop the slide with my support side thumb after seating magazine... so who am I to shit on anyone's style. LOL

How are you liking the reversed mag release? Ive been contemplating trying it out but I dont know if I want to change my system up too much

How are you liking the reversed mag release? Ive been contemplating trying it out but I dont know if I want to change my system up too much
I absolutely love it. My work and personal guns are both set up this way now... But I did a boatload of practice since DH before I made the switch. It's not for everyone though.

I don't know how it works with a Glock, but Smith and Wesson feels very intuitive set up this way. It's also much more comfortable for me with my tennis elbow problems dropping the mag with my index finger and releasing slide with my support side thumb. The other benefit to me, is that my rifle reloads and pistol reloads are mechanically similar (I release mag with same finger in the same way, and put gun into battery with left thumb). I like consistency and familiarity under pressure whenever possible.

Dry Fire Reloads: http://youtu.be/ux_DX_laHnM

Its not the fastest reload, but its reliable and comfortable for me.

Last edited:
Do people actually practice without a mag in the gun? That seems like a good way to jack yourself up when the mag sticks in real life.

Do people actually practice without a mag in the gun? That seems like a good way to jack yourself up when the mag sticks in real life.

I do both with and without. It gets tiring to keep picking up mags. I use a practice mag (the blue mag dropping out in the gif) when I drop mine, so I don't ruin the mag lips.

I just do it over a bean bag.

I also use the TV. I pick a show and a character in that show. Gun empty, real mag in, slide locked back aimed at TV. When that character appears I reload, drop slide and dry fire. It keeps the timing a surprise.

I also keep the mag I'm inserting filled with snap caps so it's the proper weight and a round gets chambered.

http://www.reloadbasket.com/

[thinking]

I lay out a heavy shipping blanket on the floor in front of me, a reload pillow i guess

I use an empty laundry basket with a big towel in the bottom of it. I place it on my ottoman or coffee table and stand in front of it, the basket catches all of them, I can reset my belt fast with out chasing mags all over the floor, and my wife looks at me like an ******* when I dump the basket of clean laundry on the couch for a training sesh.

Two more on the reload drills. Sorry for the low camera angle/white balance. I set up the tripod when I got there and apparently it settled deeper into the snow before I started filming. I was the first person to brave the range since the storm. I think I spent more time shoveling out a spot than actually shooting [laugh]

It was cold out there today, 14F and super windy. My times covered a pretty wide range. By the time I got to the rifle 2x2x2 drill my fingers were pretty cold. Definitely some dexterity limitations as you'll see I had three dropped rifle mags. Shooting with gloves still sucks, but not as bad as the wind chill sucked today. I normally forgo the gloves entirely, but today anything more than 3-4 minutes shooting without them it got sold cold my hands ached.

Pistol 1x1x1 Reload - avg time for 11 complete cycles 6.18secs
Times:
7.57 - inserted mag and dropped slide too early, had to rack slide
5.96 - removed gloves after this run
7.16 - improper grip caused inability to drop slide on reload, had to grab slide
incomplete - Dropped a mag

I'd like to get my average down below 5.5 by spring.

[video=youtube_share;HziTe1GL0a4]http://youtu.be/HziTe1GL0a4[/video]

Rifle 2x2x2 Reload - Avg 8.85sec. Avg with dropped mag times removed 8.00secs
Times:
10.23 - Dropped mag
9.52 - Dropped mag
12.73 - Dropped mag

I'd like to see my avg come down below 7.0 by spring. I think this is doable I just need more dry practice time. I haven't been doing any dry rifle work the past two weeks as I'm still focusing on my switch to the G34.

[video=youtube_share;5z7zyNEedBU]http://youtu.be/5z7zyNEedBU[/video]

Last edited:

Are you shooting the M&P? Just curious if you've tried strong hand middle finger mag release? It may not work with the M&P though. I am shooting the Walther P99 and find the middle finger works much better than trigger finger.

I've also been dropping the slide with my strong side thumb. The P99 has an oversized slide lever so it is easily dropped.

Last edited:
Are you shooting the M&P? Just curious if you've tried strong hand middle finger mag release? It may not work with the M&P though. I am shooting the Walther P99 and find the middle finger works much better than trigger finger.

I've also been dropping the slide with my strong side thumb. The P99 has an oversized slide lever so it is easily dropped.
I only use my support side thumb to drop slide because it gives me consistency between my pistol and rifle reloads. Its definitely slower, but I like being slow. Hahaha

Back
Top Bottom