Shotgun deer season

Called it early, wife had an emergency.

Not a lot of cars there at Harold Parker today, but everyone was busting my spots by stumbling through them like freight trains.

Found a spooky ass spot as I was leaving, a small indent at the top of a rise, protected on 2.5 sides by rocks, indent filled with a couple decaying sets of kid's clothes shredded, and a couple old jackets. A gray pair of undergarments of a similar old age were tied to a tree. A couple crushed beer cans with the labels mostly bleached off completed the scene. WTF?

Same here. I've been hunting the same 4 mile area for months, coyote, duck, bird, and the past week deer. Have been out literally 5 days a week (cuz these hunts are my daily cardio) and there has never been anyone else there. Today as I was sitting in my blind, I had to make a quick retreat due to a group of 6+ dumbshits who decided walking through the woods and firing off a slug randomly every 50 yards is the best way to hunt deer. They had kids with them too. Words can't describe.....

So, I got skunked for the season, but in proof that there is someone above us, and he enjoys keeping us off balance... my wife told me to buy a muzzleloader, and then followed that up asking if we could take her mom to Kittery.

Why yes, yes we can. I may come home with a new toy!

ETA - Oh jeffc, that's called a deer drive. Didn't you know? /sarcasm

Slugs are too damned expensive to just go firing off. wth.

anyone use bow or blackpowder?

No luck with the shotgun this time around. I used a bow for "Primitive Firearms" season. Once. Between the cold locking up my release, and my muscles getting so cold it was a chore to get to full draw, it just wasn't working out. I'm looking forward to using my muzzleloader. Well, carrying it around in the woods, anyway. Let it snow!

I found success, a 125# doe.

Nice shot, she dropped where she stood.

I have one more tag now for primative.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Passed on a real small doe Friday and passed on another doe yesterday just before dark it was just on the border line of out of range and I had a christmas party to go to so I didn't want to be tracking a wounded deer around after dark . Oh well back at it this week with the old smoke pole.

Today as I was sitting in my blind, I had to make a quick retreat due to a group of 6+ dumbshits who decided walking through the woods and firing off a slug randomly every 50 yards is the best way to hunt deer. They had kids with them too. Words can't describe.....

That kind of irresponsible behavior is why I am out of the woods well before dark on the last day of shotgun season.

is blackpowder easy to learn? I was going to go pick one up today so i can keep hunting.

Yes it is easy to learn but more complicated. As each component is sent down the barrel there are more variables and it can take more time at the range working up the right load depending on what you buy.

I shoot PRB (and sometimes Maxiballs) out of a .50 cal percussion rifle and it took a while to find the most accurate patch thickness for the PRB and the right powder charge of Goex. O lot will depend on the BP rifle you get. The newer ones using sabots and pellets are faster to set up for minute of deer. IMO you can squeeze more accuracy out of the modern BP rifles if you use loose powder (it is also cheaper but less convenient in the field) and take the time to try different sabots and powder loads. Besides that it is fun to shoot stuff.

I found success, a 125# doe.

Nice shot, she dropped where she stood.

I have one more tag now for primative.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your doe HTRN. That will make for some good eats.

Bob

Kittery Trading Post had many today, I took one home. Some have glass, some weigh 15 pounds, some are carbine, and some look older than dirt. Good selection, and I didn't even have to show anything other than my DL.

I live in MA i don't think I can bring a gun back from outside the state. Anyone know where i can find Blackpowder rifles or a bow in ma now?

I live in MA i don't think I can bring a gun back from outside the state. Anyone know where i can find Blackpowder rifles or a bow in ma now?

I think it's a little late in the game to pick up a bow for this season. Also, I'm not sure how it is in Mass, but most states don't consider black powder to be "firearms".

Back
Top Bottom