• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun Options

I know this probably more a personal preference question and will likely spawn a number of suggestions.

I have an AR 15, but am interested in buying a shotgun for my home defense.

Are there really any huge advantages of one over the other from the top models (eg. Mossberg, Browning, Remington?)

There seems to be so many options out there, not sure where to start.

Thank you!!

for best value, mossberg 500 or 590.

for maximum versatility AND good value, mossberg flex

for pistol grip configuration or just overall nicer pump shotgun, remington 870

for semi-auto, beretta 1300 tactical, FN SLP or a Benelli

YMMV

For home defense, I'd go with a Rem 870 or Mossberg 500. Main difference is the location of the safety. Are you really set on semi-auto?

With your budget, you could ket a KSG. [smile] Unless 15 rounds of 00 buck isn't enough.

I have a Mossy 500 pump action and love it.

The good thing about Mossy 500 or Remmy 870 is the amount of after-market parts is amazing. You can totally transform your HD shotgun into a shotgun for trap or at the range by swapping out stocks, barrells, chokes, mag tubes, etc.

Mossberg JM Pro series. I just picked one up a few weeks back and it's a sweet tactical shotgun for a good price ~$600 new. I have the 24" barrel, which holds 9 + 1 shells. Shot a bunch of 00 buck shot, no issues, ran great.

Although you did say you wanted semi-auto, for self/home defense, the Kel-tec KSG is a good option. They've come down in price and can be found around $700-$800. Bull-up that holds 14+1 is always another way to go.

Remington and Mossberg are the only shotguns I consider. The availability of stocks and accessories make them universally configurable for not a lot of money. With 2 barrels, a few accessories and a rail I can cover HD, 3 gun, hunting anything that walks or flies, clays etc. All for under $1000

- - - Updated - - -

Mossberg JM Pro series. I just picked one up a few weeks back and it's a sweet tactical shotgun for a good price ~$600 new. I have the 24" barrel, which holds 9 + 1 shells. Shot a bunch of 00 buck shot, no issues, ran great.

Although you did say you wanted semi-auto, for self/home defense, the Kel-tec KSG is a good option. They've come down in price and can be found around $700-$800. Bull-up that holds 14+1 is always another way to go.

Add a slug barrel and you have a total package.

Semi autos under 1k could include the Saiga 12 (a few in the classifieds I think)...Mossberg 930spx...Remington VersaMax Tactical (if you find it on sale)...Tristar Tec-12...certainly there are more out there. Good luck!

All I have to go by is what I've read, but are there still issues with leaving box-fed shotgun mags (like the Saiga 12) loaded? I had read that the shells tend to get flattened when they are left in box mags for a long period of time and don't feed reliably. For a HD gun that sits unused for long periods, this may be a concern.

I like the Mossberg pumps for that use simply because the shell lifter stays up when the action is closed, and I don't have to push it out of the way, but that's personal preference, they're both good guns and I own both.

Thanks everyone. These are all good suggestions. Looks like I might be doing a little hands on comparison shopping this coming rainy Sunday!

From what I have read, and from what two people that own one tell me, the Saiga 12 is hit or miss (no pun intended) with regard to reliability (feeding and different brand shot shells). Any Remington or Mossberg with an 18" barrel should work well for you, although a semi-auto will have a lot less recoil than a pump action. You want a shorter barrel to aid in maneuvering around the house if the unexpected happens.

Buy a new Mossberg 500 for around $360 (or a used one for less). Then you have the balance of your $1000 budget for ammo, a defensive shotgun class at Sig Academy or another training company, and a quick access long gun safe. And a side saddle along the side of the receiver for a few extra shells.

Taking a defensive shotgun class and getting familiar with your shotgun's manual of arms is the probably the most important thing regardless of which shotgun you buy.

Remington and Mossberg are the only shotguns I consider. The availability of stocks and accessories make them universally configurable for not a lot of money. With 2 barrels, a few accessories and a rail I can cover HD, 3 gun, hunting anything that walks or flies, clays etc. All for under $1000

- - - Updated - - -

Add a slug barrel and you have a total package.

Why? Price? Because other than that they're not particularly impressive.

I can think of 15+ reasons to avoid a Saiga 12 for HD, especially if it's going to be stored indefinitely or operated by someone who isn't 100% comfortable with a shotgun.

OP I highly suggest watching this excellent video from TwangNBang....

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I have read, and from what two people that own one tell me, the Saiga 12 is hit or miss (no pun intended) with regard to reliability (feeding and different brand shot shells). Any Remington or Mossberg with an 18" barrel should work well for you, although a semi-auto will have a lot less recoil than a pump action. You want a shorter barrel to aid in maneuvering around the house if the unexpected happens.

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Buy a new Mossberg 500 for around $360 (or a used one for less). Then you have the balance of your $1000 budget for ammo, a defensive shotgun class at Sig Academy or another training company, and a quick access long gun safe. And a side saddle along the side of the receiver for a few extra shells.

Taking a defensive shotgun class and getting familiar with your shotgun's manual of arms is the probably the most important thing regardless of which shotgun you buy.

good plan!

Back
Top Bottom