Shotguns perfect for HD - BULL !!!!!

SalemCat

Banned
I've heard and read so much about how SHOTGUNS are ideal for HD - BULL !!

First of all, HD means IN THE HOME. Shooting anyone in your yard, and especially in the back, is a one-way ticket to prison in MA.

So why do shotty's suck ? They're way too LONG !

I bought one, and at 42" I can't maneuver it inside my home worth shit. A Keltec KSG might be fine, but $1000+ is not in my budget. As my home is of modest proportions, anything approaching 4 feet in length is entirely worthless.

Joe Biden, Kiss my Shiny Metal Ass.

Because a 1oz slug will deliver 2333.7 ft pounds of force and unlike a rifle round it will have less of a chance to over penetrate and cause collateral damage.

thats what you need a dirt cheap 5/6 shot pump, chop the stock after you shorten the barrel to 18.5 and keep it right around the 28" total length, not going to be worth a damn at a distance, but im willing to bet you will be able to maneuver that alot better than most any unmodded shotgun. if you dont like that still then go for the ol 357, everyone has their preference

You need to learn to maneuver through your place. There are plenty of videos that show how to properly move through your home and to clear rooms. A shotgun with an 18" barrel and stocked is in no was to long. You just need to learn to use it.

In regards to the .357... Not in my house! If you were to step down to a handgun, I would keep it in the 9mm to .45 range. I have fired a .357 in close quarters and it leaves you damn near deaf for a month, which I know is not the top priority in HD.

Some tactical mall ninja shit right there!
Yeah. That'll ruin a bad guys day in a hurry. [laugh] I don't have that particular model. But I do have the 18" pistol grip Mossy with a Tac light @ 6 shell holder on it. Slugs & 00 buck staggered.

If you live in a free state, get/build a .223/5.56 pistol and fit it with a sound moderation device. If that's not an option for you, then a 45ACP pistol and ear protection is your next best thing. You can also get a short shotgun for not a lot of money. Put a sidesaddle on it for quick access to more ammo and don't worry so much.

Once my .223/5.56 pistol is ready, I'll be looking into getting it fitted with a sound moderation device for in home protection. I might even do that with a second upper so that I have options.

I run my 870 with slugs and much rather shoulder it and drill one COM than try the spray and pray method of a pistol grip shotty.

Yeah. That'll ruin a bad guys day in a hurry. [laugh] I don't have that particular model. But I do have the 18" pistol grip Mossy with a Tac light @ 6 shell holder on it. Slugs & 00 buck staggered.

+1

The nice thing about an AR pistol is that you can still run a rifle or carbine length buffer tube and put padding on it (As stated by the BATFE) so that you can shoulder it.

If you live in a free state, get/build a .223/5.56 pistol and fit it with a sound moderation device.

I run my 870 with slugs and much rather shoulder it and drill one COM than try the spray and pray method of a pistol grip shotty.
There's not gonna be much spray at such close distance and the only one praying will be the BG.

Color me crazy, but why would you ever use buckshot with a shotty for HD? What if your daughter is behind the BG? Your wife? Dog? Etc.

Color me crazy, but why would you ever use buckshot with a shotty for HD? What if your daughter is behind the BG? Your wife? Dog? Etc.

Uhh.....for me pulling the trigger on ANY fire arm with my daugter or wife behind the BG is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.......you know.....the whole "know your target and what is beyone" thing. The perfect HD fire arm is what the home owner prefers best given their home's layout/proximity to neighbors/etc. But don't discount a shotty because youa re worried about who is near the BG......you should know that before you pull the trigger on anything.

First of all, HD means IN THE HOME. Shooting anyone in your yard, and especially in the back, is a one-way ticket to prison in MA.

I bought one, and at 42" I can't maneuver it inside my home worth shit. A Keltec KSG might be fine, but $1000+ is not in my budget. As my home is of modest proportions, anything approaching 4 feet in length is entirely worthless.

R870 Tactical.

why did you buy a musket? [laugh]

anywho, you can also explore frangible ammo for your AR, JHP (hollow tips) for rifles / pistols too.

test it out for yourself. i always chuckle at the "over penetration" comments as they come from the internet.

"over panetration" - i gotta look that up on Urban Dicktionary

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

ETA: its also obvious the Op didn't do no re search too as well

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

In California if they have a weapon and you are threatened and fear for your life you can shoot them in your house, on your property, in the back as they run out of your house, or whatever. I am a California resident and living in Maine. If someone shoots me in my house or on my property and misses I am shooting back and you can guarantee you will not see any prison time. :)

Also I have a modified UTS-15 and its 20+ inches and very compact as is the $800 Keltec KSG.

Bird shot or Turkey loads are a good HD round when over penetration is an issue. One problem might be the BG living to sue.

That's why you pop em in the head man...a live intruder can testify. Chief of police told me once, "if a fella is in your house and you shoot...that boy had better be dead for your sake"

My 870 is right at 36" with the stock fully collapsed. I have no problem going around corners in my house. Right now it is my go to for home defense until I can get my hands on some more hornandy TAP for my AR. And my wife knows not to stand in the line of fire.

My brother has a benelli supernova tactical. It's designed for close quarters and I'm pretty sure US military use it. Cost him about 400-500 bones brand new. 42" shotgun is the wrong tool for the job. That's your problem.

Benelli_Nova_PistolGrip_Tactica_lSynthetic_A.jpg

I bought a cheap old shotty for $75 just to chop it down for HD. I get where you're coming from, people are telling you, you don't need an AR-15 for home defense, I just tell thos people you don't need a car that goes over 65 but hey nice Porche. I choose a 12Ga pump for HD because there is nothing scarier to a crook climing through you window than the sound of a racking 12Ga. and when it comes to most amound of lead on target its hard to beat a shotty.

OMG this thread is something.

I saw shotguns don't over penetrate like a rifle, bird shot is good for self defense, can I get a full retard shotgun trifecta with the sound of the action will make a crack head shit himself?

OMG this thread is something.

I saw shotguns don't over penetrate like a rifle, bird shot is good for self defense, can I get a full retard shotgun trifecta with the sound of the action will make a crack head shit himself?

Actually it's been demonstrated how bird shot sucks for home defense rounds (won't do enough damage to the perp)... My 'normal' home defense round is 230 grain hollow points in my 1911. For the shotgun, the magazine is loaded with 00 buck and slugs (alternating) with more of both on the side saddle.

As for 'over penetration' I'd be shooting from the second floor to the first floor where I live. So, anything going past/through the perp will go into the ground.

As for the intruder, doesn't everyone go with the old standard of two in the chest, one in the head?? Don't shoot to disable, shoot to kill.

Back
Top Bottom