• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ShotShow 2024

Has anyone ever heard of a Caracal manufacturer? It looks really interesting. Short stroke, adjustable gas, obstruction tested, over-the-beach tested. Based in UAE. Color me impressed!

A nice compact IFAK was announced, but it is not on the website yet. Anyone who shoots needs to have one handy.

View: https://youtu.be/kE4zxSek2XA?si=FobGN2JRUrCS8grV

I'm sorry, but I'm just not on board with the whole IFAK thing. I had this same argument with that arrogant fat slob Active Self Protection. He claimed to me that you need an IFAK because he has used his 3 times when he came upon traffic accidents. You know what I have in my vehicle? A larger first aid kit than I can carry on my belt. You know how many times I've used it? A couple times at the range when I got a small scratch I got a bandaid from the first aid kit in my car. I can't say that I've ever come upon a traffic accident with injuries where there wasn't alreadly an emergency vehicle dealing with the victims. And if I do drive up on such a traffic accident, I've got a better first aid kit in my car than I can carry on my belt.

If I'm on the range, I'm usually in an action shooting bay. You know what is in the action shooting bay with me? My vehicle. And you know what is in my vehicle? A better first aid kit than I can carry on my belt.

If something happens at work that I need a first aid kit, you know what is mounted to the wall down the hall? A larger first aid kit than I can carry on my belt.

In my opinion, the whole IFAK thing is just social media driven marketing, trying to convince you that you need to buy the latest thing in order to "be prepared". I'm sorry to be such an ass about this, but unless you are out walking in the woods, I simply don't see the need for an IFAK kit. I'm already carry enough crap.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I'm just not on board with the whole IFAK thing.
There is no need to apologize. If you had made this a one-sentence, drive-by claim, it would have been one thing. But you didn't. You have explained yourself at length and clearly. I think similarly as I only carry stuff in my range bag. That said, I've been in training situations where one is hiking, gunning, and running around(mostly training out west is like that). There, your range bag or vehicle is not nearby.
There is a natural spillover of military/tactical knowledge and products into the civilian world. Gun belts used to be leather, and everything was clipped onto them. Today, we have excellent belts used for competition that are direct descendants of military belts. I think IFAK pouches are still too "tactical," but I am starting to see a slow move towards more civilian considerations. Four years ago, these pouches were double the size and could not easily be carried on a belt. Today, they're becoming more of a boo-boo bag and are growing smaller.

I'm sorry, but I'm just not on board with the whole IFAK thing. I had this same argument with that arrogant fat slob Active Self Protection. He claimed to me that you need an IFAK because he has used his 3 times when he came upon traffic accidents. You know what I have in my vehicle? A larger first aid kit than I can carry on my belt. You know how many times I've used it? A couple times at the range when I got a small scratch I got a bandaid from the first aid kit in my car. I can't say that I've ever come upon a traffic accident with injuries where there wasn't alreadly an emergency vehicle dealing with the victims. And if I do drive up on such a traffic accident, I've got a better first aid kit in my car than I can carry on my belt.

If I'm on the range, I'm usually in an action shooting bay. You know what is in the action shooting bay with me? My vehicle. And you know what is in my vehicle? A better first aid kit than I can carry on my belt.

If something happens at work that I need a first aid kit, you know what is mounted to the wall down the hall? A larger first aid kit than I can carry on my belt.

In my opinion, the whole IFAK thing is just social media driven marketing, trying to convince you that you need to buy the latest thing in order to "be prepared". I'm sorry to be such an ass about this, but unless you are out walking in the woods, I simply don't see the need for an IFAK kit. I'm already carry enough crap.

Kinda agree. An IFAK is the wrong tool for helping an accident scene on the road. That’s why I have a larger trauma kit in my car. On a hike, I have a first aid kid with just a small amount of trauma, but more specific stuff like a splint.

For range trips though? Yeah an IFAK is appropriate in the range bag. It’s quicker to get to than the car.

…Four years ago, these pouches were double the size and could not easily be carried on a belt. Today, they're becoming more of a boo-boo bag and are growing smaller.

4 years ago? Try 15 years ago.

Blue Force Gear has been a pioneer in this field, with their Boo Boo pouch that started in 2009. They started their IFAK line a couple years earlier, and began streamlining and lightening ever since. Other companies started expanding their options probably like 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Kinda agree. An IFAK is the wrong tool for helping an accident scene on the road. That’s why I have a larger trauma kit in my car. On a hike, I have a first aid kid with just a small amount of trauma, but more specific stuff like a splint.

For range trips though? Yeah an IFAK is appropriate in the range bag. It’s quicker to get to than the car.
My range bag is sitting on the tailgate of my SUV. If I get to my range bag, I'm already at my car.

Ooh, this is neat!!! definitely goes into the "good idea" column
dunno, not sold as it is not what i need, at all.
plus not sure what needs to happen, EVER, to consider a hornady die instead of redding. you do not buy into a single die, you buy into a system, really.

plus not sure what needs to happen, EVER, to consider a hornady die instead of redding. you do not buy into a single die, you buy into a system, really.
Would you change your mind if Redding released a micrometer that would work on any Redding seating die? If you consider it a concept where a sitting die can be given a high-precision add-on without buying another die, it is a very good idea. Heck, one can buy a micrometer and all your calibers get a precision sitting die for the price of $30.

Of the entire statement, this is what you picked!? How's that PM coming along?

I don’t have anything to say about any of the rest of your statement. 🤷‍♂️ The point is that personal med kits/IFAKs becoming smaller and more streamlined for expected needs is nothing new.

And try turning on private messaging permissions first.

Tommy Built T7

None of that “MP7 we have at home” like the PSA option. People can now buy, pretty much, a semi-auto MP7 built by Tommy Built. $3,500, but the order list is already also up to 3,500 and he only built 500 so far.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=rIIMYJPjXwg&pp=ygUIVDcgdG9tbXk%3D

Personally, I hate to say it but the PSA knock off seems like a much better proposition. $1k and uses 5.7, which is much easier to come by.

Perhaps, but we needed another rifle in this caliber. Up until now, it has been mostly Ruger or Savage. This one looks pretty decent.

Anything with WSM or WSSM in the caliber is unfortunately beyond niche at best. These guns are pure shelf rot in most gun shops. I remember years ago when Weatherby had overproduced a bunch of their WSSMs and the like. They all ended up on AIM surplus for like 2 years at dirt cheap prices because nobody cared about them. Back in the day Rileys and a bunch of other shops used to have rifles like these on the rack. Maybe KTP still does today, not sure..... but sometimes you'd go to these shops and the same rifle was sitting there a year later.

And its not that its a fundamentally bad caliber, its just that the overlap kills it. If someone is going pest control theres a bunch of calibers that overlap that which are already in use and
dominant in the market. People already have like 28 different ways to kill the stuff they would kill with a 17 WSM. And most of them will involve ammo that costs less, or ammo that they already have sitting around. And for sure, 17 WSM might be a BETTER caliber to kill the things they want to kill, with less noise, recoil, etc, vs something like 223 or whatever... but the upsides are rarely compelling to the average pest control person. They're going to get their AR, or their 22 magnum, or whatever they already had for that purpose and live with the tradeoffs of those kinds of things. Particularly considering the ease of access to ammunition of more common calibers.

So is ASP basically the Pincus replacement? 🤣

At first I wasn't particularly bothered i thought most of his shit was innocuous then the light went on.... this is like a shitty version of Mas Ayoob welded to Pincus and fatter than both combined. 🤣

Tommy Built T7

None of that “MP7 we have at home” like the PSA option. People can now buy, pretty much, a semi-auto MP7 built by Tommy Built. $3,500, but the order list is already also up to 3,500 and he only built 500 so far.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=rIIMYJPjXwg&pp=ygUIVDcgdG9tbXk%3D

Personally, I hate to say it but the PSA knock off seems like a much better proposition. $1k and uses 5.7, which is much easier to come by.

Can I raid the IRS to get 4.6mm ammo?

So is ASP basically the Pincus replacement? 🤣

At first I wasn't particularly bothered i thought most of his shit was innocuous then the light went on.... this is like a shitty version of Mas Ayoob welded to Pincus and fatter than both combined. 🤣
He has watched a bunch of videos, so now he is convinced that he is an expert.

Anything with WSM or WSSM in the caliber is unfortunately beyond niche at best. These guns are pure shelf rot in most gun shops. I remember years ago when Weatherby had overproduced a bunch of their WSSMs and the like. They all ended up on AIM surplus for like 2 years at dirt cheap prices because nobody cared about them. Back in the day Rileys and a bunch of other shops used to have rifles like these on the rack. Maybe KTP still does today, not sure..... but sometimes you'd go to these shops and the same rifle was sitting there a year later.
This caliber is not related or even ever mentioned in the same breath as "WSSM", other than right here.

And its not that its a fundamentally bad caliber, its just that the overlap kills it. If someone is going pest control theres a bunch of calibers that overlap that which are already in use and
dominant in the market.
This is just the new and improved version of the .17HMR. It is approaching 17 Hornet performance, with rimfire pricing.

People already have like 28 different ways to kill the stuff they would kill with a 17 WSM. And most of them will involve ammo that costs less, or ammo that they already have sitting around. And for sure, 17 WSM might be a BETTER caliber to kill the things they want to kill, with less noise, recoil, etc, vs something like 223 or whatever... but the upsides are rarely compelling to the average pest control person. They're going to get their AR, or their 22 magnum, or whatever they already had for that purpose and live with the tradeoffs of those kinds of things. Particularly considering the ease of access to ammunition of more common calibers.
Think of this as an improved, more powerful version of the wildly successful .17 HMR. They say these things are like lasers. A traditional style hunting rifle doesn't raise as many eyebrows if you happen to be seen in the woods, or on your way in or out. YMMV.

That all said, we'll see how the reviews on this particular rifle come out. It's brand new, so who knows.

Last edited:
This caliber is not related or even ever mentioned in the same breath as "WSSM", other than right here.
My point is It's basically the same class of weirdness. WSM isn't even allowed to smell the farts of other cultish hunting cartridges.

WSM, WSSM, RUM, etc = nobody cares

Again it's not that they're "bad" it's that they're commercially nonviable because they don't overcome the overlap problem.

Would you change your mind if Redding released a micrometer that would work on any Redding seating die? If you consider it a concept where a sitting die can be given a high-precision add-on without buying another die, it is a very good idea. Heck, one can buy a micrometer and all your calibers get a precision sitting die for the price of $30.
I already have micrometers on those dies. They are very smooth and work fine.

I only buy single dies.
Because not one company is best for all.
For example for 6.5cm I use dies from Wilson (seating), Forrester (sizing), Lee (only to decap) and 21st to expand.

I like the micrometer adjustment, people will have to keep notes on what they use for each caliber.

The very serious people either use specialized dies, or will have a micrometer for each caliber because they don't want to have to re-adjust each time. But the 90% of reloaders that want quality but are not looking for sub 5 SD and 1/8" groups, could benefit from this.

What I like about this is the way of thinking. They could have released yet another $100+ micrometer die for each caliber. Instead they went a route where one can be used for everything. I think that is great.

I only buy single dies.
Becuase not one company is best for all.

I like the micrometer adjustment, people will have to keep notes on what they use for each caliber.

The very serious people either use specialized dies, or will have a micrometer for each caliber because they don't want to have to re-adjust each time. But the 90% of reloaders that want quality but are not looking for sub 5 SD and 1/8" groups, could benefit from this.
Baaaa just make a dummy cartridge and tighten the die down on it each time. Close enough for government work.

Back
Top Bottom